How Bill Walsh evaluated receivers

This book is one of the best I have ever read. Many of the pieces of wisdom that Walsh provides can transfer to business and entrepreneurs.

Advertisement
Seen this first hand. Had a homie that ran 4.8ish and was RB but when he was carrying the rock wasn’t nobody catching that dude. He’s in the nfl now to. Plays safety now tho.

Seen this first hand. Had a homie that ran 4.8ish and was RB but when he was carrying the rock wasn’t nobody catching that dude. He’s in the nfl now to. Plays safety now tho.
l remember Dante Hall from the Chiefs said something along the lines of, if a dude's a 4.5 guy, and He runs a 4.5 in pads, then He's fast. I find that theory to be true.

A 4.7 guy like Rice does not get caught because his top-end speed is higher than the 4.5 guy who gets off to a quick start but has a slow top-end speed. Simple as that. Pads also matter as a bigger guy is not as affected as the smaller.

Advertisement
What about Brashard? You feel he’s legit or questionable?
i like his skill set. He puts up numbers in dade...i like him in this offense. He's Knighton -lite...who i think will be a productive player for us

Thought so too with wiggin but after watching football all day saturday and seeing dudes make some type of effort to catch passes down field from NCST to UGA to Texam to OU, etc. And then seeing this dude get a db put his hand on his shoulder and he fold with no effort crying for mom dukes, aint no ******* way this dude can be a go to guy in big games.. just save him for crappy fsu go routes yearly
I know what your saying. **** i was watching Kansas State and they had a wr that was like 6'3 220-225 and shredded and im like year he likely scares our #1 wr.
Im like u i watch alot of college football and our wrs are middle of the road level.

Guys like Rice, Irvin, Fitz, and Chris Carter had one thing in common; work ethic.

They were students of the game in creating separation and hitting the weight room.

The old adage was 'game speed'.

Those guys also had some of the best concentration/focus I've ever seen as well. Not just getting creating separation and getting to the ball, but the focus to CATCH it, even when getting raped by the DB. They were going to catch the ball simply by outworking the other guy, nothing more.

Braxton had a bit of that. Wasn't fast, undersized. But there was a reason he was our kick returner. Excellent focus and concentration. That's pretty much kept him in the NFL so far.
Braxton was fast.
He was always a sub 4.5 kid. Not sure why its always said other than him beng white...but dude was fast and has superb quickness.

Advertisement
The person that comes to mind about being fast and getting chased down and caught often was Jeff Thomas. I always wondered how he was always caught from behind
Someone who would of benefited from running track in college.. His acceleration always stood out but his long speed needed work.. Like his 0-60 was legit, him off the line of scrimmage was second to none but track woulda did wonders for him not redlining soo fast..

Reggie Wayne was on that zoom call with all those guys Andre johnson, ed reed, marshall faulk, ted ginn, etc for coach curtis johnson and he mentioned how curtis pushed him to run track even tho he wasnt a track guy but running those 200 meters helped him soo much on field and made him better.. We dont encourage our skill guys to run anymore and actually seem to discourage it from players who excelled at it in high school if you believe them.

Braxton was fast.
He was always a sub 4.5 kid. Not sure why its always said other than him beng white...but dude was fast and has superb quickness.
You would think we would be beyond this in this day an age. It has been a self fulfilling prophecy. There are no fast white guys so we will not recruit them or play them and thus you see no white guys at skill positions in pro football. Why is there no white guys in pro football? Must be because they have no speed.

Another guy who had major game speed but 4.42 forty speed was Devin Hester. So many people were expecting him to run 4.2 but he did not. Now don't get me wrong. 4.42 speed is real speed. But if I said that Braxton and Hester ran the same 40 most would say fake news.

Advertisement
The person that comes to mind about being fast and getting chased down and caught often was Jeff Thomas. I always wondered how he was always caught from behind
He wasn't always caught from behind...Stop it...twice a Dude had an angle on him....

Cooper ran like I swim, arms and legs going everywhere and 100 mph but I’m barely moving.
running technique matters in football. watch how santana used to run. head doesnt shake, the whole body moves perfectly.

josh gordon ran a 4.56 40. when he caught that slant vs new england in 2013, aqib talib and 4.3 devin mccourty ate some smoke.

Advertisement
I used to be at a lot of Southridge's practices & games because my cousin played there and I worked around the corner and got off at 4. Noodles & Dee used to get abused by Antwan Collier, Shawn Davis & Dicaprio Bootle in practice lmao. They got their offers from the 7 on 7 circuit. They didn't even put up big numbers in school. Harley wae another 7 on 7 hype guy that didn't do anything at STA.

I wanna see more of Keyshawn Smith. He is ELECTRIC every time he steps on the field. And Redding or Payton literally can't be any worse than Pope soft bird chest ***.

You would think we would be beyond this in this day an age. It has been a self fulfilling prophecy. There are no fast white guys so we will not recruit them or play them and thus you see no white guys at skill positions in pro football. Why is there no white guys in pro football? Must be because they have no speed.

Another guy who had major game speed but 4.42 forty speed was Devin Hester. So many people were expecting him to run 4.2 but he did not. Now don't get me wrong. 4.42 speed is real speed. But if I said that Braxton and Hester ran the same 40 most would say fake news.

EXACTLY.

A 4.7 guy like Rice does not get caught because his top-end speed is higher than the 4.5 guy who gets off to a quick start but has a slow top-end speed. Simple as that. Pads also matter as a bigger guy is not as affected as the smaller.
Good point. Seems like I recall Irvin saying that even though he ran a 4.6 (or whatever it was), he could run that 4.6 all day. That’s why he wouldn’t get caught.

Advertisement
Back