Hot Take: Redshirt all true freshmen in 2017

rok

N-U-D-E-S-I-N-B-I-O
I've decided to create a "The Work" spin-off titled "Hot Take"

Every once in a while this offseason I'll hit you all with some hot takes to help pass the time.

Anyway, it's about time we got back in the practice of redshirting more players.

Look at the rosters for Clemson, Bama, OSU...they STAY redshirting half their incoming classes.

Here's how it could be done at Miami:

QB: Rosier, Shirreffs, Allison, Testaverde

RB: Walton, Homer, Gray, Atkins, Dye(?)

WR: Richards, Cager, Berrios, Harris, Mullins, Langham, Mayweather

TE: Herndon, Irving, Haskins, Curry

OL1: McDermott, Darling, Linder, St. Louis, Odogwu

OL2: Brown, Milo, Gauthier, Jones, Johnson, Mahoney

DE: Thomas, Harris, Jackson, Jackson, Patchan, Martin

DT: Norton, McIntosh, Willis, Molten, Bethel, Fines

LB: Quarterman, Pinckney, McCloud, Owens, Smith, Perry, Gordinier, Perry

CB: Delaney, Young, Dean, Jackson, Mayes, Henley, Murphy

S: Johnson, Redwine, Knowles, Finley, James

Obviously there's a handful of kids that are likely going to play: Perry, Dallas, Thomas, Donaldson, Garvin, Bandy, Carter - but the majority should probably be redshirted in 2017.

Seacrest, out.

Advertisement
Redshirting is so stupid nowadays if its not a QB or OL. If they can play, let them play.

Agreed. We often discount the importance of special teams around here. If a freshman stud can't crack the 2-deep because of veteran studs in front of him, he'll take someone's head off sprinting 50 yards down the field.

redshirting is not stupid at all. but to redshirt everyone is illogical. most freshman want at least a chance at some early PT and saying we would redshirt everyone would deter potential top recruits

not only that, but some freshman are good enough to play. if they can make the 2-3 deep then no sense in redshirting

Advertisement
Good players are going to leave after three years regardless. Why waste a season with a red shirt? I'd rather get three years of a guy actually playing (even as a reserve) than two years of game action and a year of not dressing.

Good off season topic - keep them coming
- Agree - play kids on ST - a place we have not dominated since JJ was running things
- Bama & OSU play a ton of True Frosh
- The difference - they are in the top 5 in recruiting 5-10 years in a row - when we get four top 10 classes in a row - we can revisit

Besides - I really think one of the reasons we are having a great start to recruiting is the number of True Frosh that played last year
- Christ - we were the only D1 program in the country starting 3 True LBs

I agree with the overall premise here.

It's time to start putting some shirts on some of these kids.

Advertisement
If they can play you play them. But in some positions we certainly could redshirt some guys definitely more so than the last few years that is for sure

I agree with the overall premise here.

It's time to start putting some shirts on some of these kids.

This. His overall theory makes sense. If we have an incoming class of 25..all 25 will not be ready for any action even ST. Of course the Lingards, Popes, Jobes, and Quartermans of the world will never redshirt. But a kid like Jon Ford could use a RS year. No need in wasting him on the bench when there are 5 legit guys in front of him.

Same for Steed. If he cant beat out Gordinier or Owens on the 2 deep, then Redshirt him so he is 100% healthy going into 2018. Not sure when the word "redshirt" became this horrible thing. **** Bama got kids out here "grayshirting" just to be in their presence.

Good off season topic - keep them coming
- Agree - play kids on ST - a place we have not dominated since JJ was running things

**** man, Donny Soldinger put together some pretty amazing kicking games. Blocked kicks, KR/PR guys, great PK's and P's. 1995-2005 you could guarantee two things: kicking game and RB's being great at UM.

Injuries take care of redshirting on there own for the most part. Some guys are here 3/4 years regardless, might as well play em.

Advertisement
Not sure about ALL true Freshmen, but definitely those kids who need to develop should. We're starting to get the depth at certain positions to allow redshirting. Years prior we didn't have that luxury because of poor recruiting and roster limitations.

The only guys that should be red shirting are OL and DL. The rest of the guys are either 3 and gone, or we should have someone better to replace them (and we want their scholarship spot).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we build quality depth..redshirting will make sense more frequently..but anytime a freshman comes in and can earn a start,.. Or a 2 spot...let that dog eat!!!!

Advertisement
LOL yes let's make sure Langham & Mayweather are on the field so we can keep Jeff Thomas & DJ Dallas off of it.

I agree...

I would also take it a step further & say, if you haven't been on the team for at least 3 years then you shouldn't even be able to suit up on Saturdays...

I want a squad full of 5th & 6th year Seniors out there getting it done, that's how you win Championships.

You can never have too much experience.

Good stuff Rok.

Advertisement
Back