Hot Seat

When did average programs like Texas A&M and Auburn start thinking they were entitled to win NCs every year? Those are typically 8 win programs that occasionally put it all together once every 10 years and compete nationally. That's what they've always been. They'll keep firing coaches and keep getting the same results.

Its the "Nick Saban" effect on that conference. He is literally responsible for 5+ guys getting losing their jobs in that conference and 3 more who will be fired this year or next. (Sumlin, Malzahn, Orgeron)

Thats gotta be his most impressive feat out of all of his accomplishments. His ability to get coaches fired because SEC programs actually bought into the fact that they should be winning at the same rate as Bama.

Funny thing is its actually making the conference worse....

Advertisement
Tennessee I can understand.... once an elite fb program trying to get back to those days.

But wtf is up with Texas A&M?? Kevin Sumlin has built the best fb program that A&M has ever had. Did ppl forget they have always been a dumpster fire?? Of course they didn't forget that's how its obvious its just racism.

Sumlin knew what it was before he took the job though but still this idea of firing good coaches replacing them with a bs coach.... case in point Les Miles for Ed Orgeron??? Doesn't make since.

Better than the RC Slocum years? Idk

He won 10 games 5 times in the 90s while Texas was down. Texas has been down again since Sumlin took over. And with the exception of his first season there, when Johnny won the Heisman, Sumlin has squandered these years.

Where were they before him please enlighten me since he's a "corch"?

Well, Texas A&M has an all-time win % of 60.2% and has won 2 National Titles Winsipedia - Texas A&M Aggies football all-time record, wins, and statistics

During Sumlin's 5+ year tenure at A&M, their win % 67.6%. Certainly, that is better than the all time mark over the entire history of the program. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/kevin-sumlin-1.html

For comparison purposes, from 1991-1995, RC Slocum had a five year run at Texas A&M where they won ten games 4 out of 5 years, something Sumlin has only accomplished there once, and compiled a winning record of 51-8-1, good for an 85% win %. Compare this to Sumlin's 46-22. Texas A&M University Athletics - Texas A&M Football History

Sumlin's teams have finished ranked just twice at A&M and 3 times in 9 seasons as a head coach.

Keep in mind also that for much of college football history, University of Texas has been by far the dominant and overriding force in HS and college football in Texas. Anything they didn't take, Oklahoma typically swooped in and got. Sumlin has had the benefit of being at A&M during a time in which Texas poured gasoline over itself and lit a cigarette and Oklahoma has been relatively down as well.

Make of all of the above information what you will, as you will. It doesn't make any sense at all to say that he is one of the best coaches in college football. Maybe he is just in the wrong job, as I think was probably the case with Charlie Strong at Texas, or Bill Belichick at Cleveland, but to say that he's a great coach, one of the best in all of college football, and to call anyone who criticizes him a racist just is nonsense.

When do these coaches get fired? It is only a matter of time.

Butch Jones- Tenn- He is terrible and I believe Tenn now sees it. NO WAY they should have lost last week.

Kevin Sumlin- A&M- I actually think the racist letter hat he received bought him some time (as bad as that is to say).

Odom- Missouri- I know that he has only been there 2 years but it was a REACH and nobody is coming to their games and he just fired his DC right before getting curb stomped by PURDUE, at home nonetheless!

Mora- UCLA- just lost at Memphis and was already on the hot seat.
P
McElwain- UF- Butch Jones just saved his job, but with the off the field trouble when does it happen?

The letter to sumlin was a hoax. It was created to let the higher ups know if you fire me, I will call you a racist.

Mceltooth - he was saved by the ref not calling the holding on the last play.

Advertisement
Sumlin knew what it was before he took the job though but still this idea of firing good coaches replacing them with a bs coach.... case in point Les Miles for Ed Orgeron??? Doesn't make since.

Say a corch is a good coach, then blame racism on his firing. Classic porst!

If not mistaken Kevin Sumlins prior coaching success is why Texas A&M ignored their racist conscious and hired him in the 1st place??? Is one of the best coaches in cfb... only a good coach can turn a **** show like Texas A&M football into a respectful football program that actually has expectations. Where were they before him please enlighten me since he's a "corch"?

Of course it's racism, that's how it is being black in an America filled with entitled privileged white men such as yourself, not to mention coaching in a pro KKK environment like anywhere in the state of Texas.

Lol what was Kevin Sumlin before Texas A&M? A coach who had 1 good season in the conference USA. I suppose you think Kliff Klingsbury at TTech is on the hot seat because of racism too right? Some people are always looking for an excuse. Sumlin just isn't a good HC. He had 1 decent season at A&M because Manziel played out of his mind. Then he proceeded to mismanage every QB he recruited after him.

Crying racism every time a black coach under performs only hurts the next up and coming minority coaches from getting a chance.

Last edited:
Man, has there ever been anyone more hyped who ended up being more destructive than Rich Rodriguez? Guy was the "next big thing" at WVU then proceeded to run Michigan and now Arizona into the ground.

Advertisement

A bit off topic, but what is the UiF meme suppose to be? I see it all the time? Is it "University in Florida"? Is it suppose to make it seem more like a directional school (USF, UCF, UNF)?

I think it comes from U "if" - as in they make excuses for **** near everything - "if" only we didn't play FSU every year, "if" we didn't play in the mighty SEC East, etc.

A bit off topic, but what is the UiF meme suppose to be? I see it all the time? Is it "University in Florida"? Is it suppose to make it seem more like a directional school (USF, UCF, UNF)?

I think it comes from U "if" - as in they make excuses for **** near everything - "if" only we didn't play FSU every year, "if" we didn't play in the mighty SEC East, etc.

Cool. Thanks. I will slowly get all the inside jokes here. Just in time for other ones to pop up.

[MENTION=323]whoopingcane[/MENTION] is on the hot seat for bad posters.

Guy has been silent the last three weeks with no PMs about the team and its current state.

Tennessee I can understand.... once an elite fb program trying to get back to those days.

But wtf is up with Texas A&M?? Kevin Sumlin has built the best fb program that A&M has ever had. Did ppl forget they have always been a dumpster fire?? Of course they didn't forget that's how its obvious its just racism.

Sumlin can't keep a 4-5 star QB recruit.

Advertisement

Well, Texas A&M has an all-time win % of 60.2% and has won 2 National Titles Winsipedia - Texas A&M Aggies football all-time record, wins, and statistics

During Sumlin's 5+ year tenure at A&M, their win % 67.6%. Certainly, that is better than the all time mark over the entire history of the program. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/kevin-sumlin-1.html

For comparison purposes, from 1991-1995, RC Slocum had a five year run at Texas A&M where they won ten games 4 out of 5 years, something Sumlin has only accomplished there once, and compiled a winning record of 51-8-1, good for an 85% win %. Compare this to Sumlin's 46-22. Texas A&M University Athletics - Texas A&M Football History

Sumlin's teams have finished ranked just twice at A&M and 3 times in 9 seasons as a head coach.

Keep in mind also that for much of college football history, University of Texas has been by far the dominant and overriding force in HS and college football in Texas. Anything they didn't take, Oklahoma typically swooped in and got. Sumlin has had the benefit of being at A&M during a time in which Texas poured gasoline over itself and lit a cigarette and Oklahoma has been relatively down as well.

Make of all of the above information what you will, as you will. It doesn't make any sense at all to say that he is one of the best coaches in college football. Maybe he is just in the wrong job, as I think was probably the case with Charlie Strong at Texas, or Bill Belichick at Cleveland, but to say that he's a great coach, one of the best in all of college football, and to call anyone who criticizes him a racist just is nonsense.
All of this^^^

Saying that if Sumlin's is fired it's because of racism is no less illogical as saying he's a horrible coach. Sumlin's good; the question is: is he good enough. That's the question Georgia asked before firing Richt, Tennessee asked before firing Majors and LSU asked before firing Miles. And a conversation Florida, Auburn, Arkansas, South Carolina and Missouri will have, if they're not already having it.

When did average programs like Texas A&M and Auburn start thinking they were entitled to win NCs every year? Those are typically 8 win programs that occasionally put it all together once every 10 years and compete nationally. That's what they've always been. They'll keep firing coaches and keep getting the same results.

My guess, it's the Clemson effect! They saw an average program hiring a young coach who built a powerhouse and they think they can do the same.Thinking if our old coach was constantly winning 8-9-10 games, why cant we become powerhouse and win NCs with a younger coach. That's why you see Mark Richt, Les Miles and the dude at Nebraska getting fired to be replaced by HCs who cant win to save their life.

Man, has there ever been anyone more hyped who ended up being more destructive than Rich Rodriguez? Guy was the "next big thing" at WVU then proceeded to run Michigan and now Arizona into the ground.

Was thinking the same thing. I get his offense was not suited for Michigan, but at UA he hasn't done anything at all. He will probably be gone at season's end.

Bielema and Malzahn are in trouble. Actually is there anyone at all in the SEC who is really safe. More and more it's Bama and everyone else.

Advertisement

All of this^^^

Saying that if Sumlin's is fired it's because of racism is no less illogical as saying he's a horrible coach. Sumlin's good; the question is: is he good enough. That's the question Georgia asked before firing Richt, Tennessee asked before firing Majors and LSU asked before firing Miles. And a conversation Florida, Auburn, Arkansas, South Carolina and Missouri will have, if they're not already having it.

Racism will be the reason Coach Sumlin is fired.... the question majority of those schools need to ask themselves is "are we delusional"...

Texas A&M would be a 10 win program now if they didn't run from the big 12 bc of Texas?? They are in a more competitive conference and have no realistic shot of ever being better than they are now.... good fb program that will never be anything more than a 9 win fb team on average and possibly win a bowl. Fire Sumlin and replace him with another coach that's 9/10 going to be worse... SMART DECISION LOL

All of this^^^

Racism will be the reason Coach Sumlin is fired.... the question majority of those schools need to ask themselves is "are we delusional"...

Texas A&M would be a 10 win program now if they didn't run from the big 12 bc of Texas?? They are in a more competitive conference and have no realistic shot of ever being better than they are now.... good fb program that will never be anything more than a 9 win fb team on average and possibly win a bowl. Fire Sumlin and replace him with another coach that's 9/10 going to be worse... SMART DECISION LOL

All your points make sense, up to the point that you claim racism IF Sumlin's is fired. Don't lump me in with other posters who wouldn't/couldn't admit racism even exists. Sumlin has given boosters the stick to whip his own ***. Bama kept firing coaches until the got Saban. Remember Shula? Dooley's not at Tennessee because he sucked. Zook sucked. Muschamp isn't at Florida because he sucked (now if you want to talk about how he got the Auburn job so quickly and how he moved on to S. Carolina then you might have a conversation about mobility, and race, and second chances...but an exception would be Willingham who flamed out everywhere after Stanford). The SEC doesn't tolerate mediocrity like the other conferences. Matter of fact, any school that routinely puts 75k in the stands on Saturday is NOT going to tolerate mediocrity. Georgia and LSU got rid of 9/10 win coaches.

But, to agree with you: A&M would be a 12 win program if they were still in the Big 12. But they're not in the Big 12 and as the saying goes, "you're only as good as the people around you." The "teams" around Sumlin are good. He has to adjust. Would it make sense to fire Sumlin? If you don't believe he's the man for the job, yes. But, count me in as one of the people who believes Sumlin has what it takes to succeed. The problem is that you don't get extended time at Major programs and A&M believes they can be a major.

Also, if our season plays out the way I believe it should and UGAs season plays out the way I believe it will, from Valdosta to Dahlonega and all parts in between they'll be warming the seat up for Kirby Smart. In short: all these programs are delusional.

Last edited:
Remember that one of the reasons A&M left the Big12 is because they were upset with UT's Longhorn Network deal. They believed it placed them at a further disadvantage. I agree that A&M, like other programs, is delusional as to expectations.

Advertisement
Back