Hope this paragraph ends all Mike Leach talk forever.

It’s a football coach, not a CEO of a fortune 500 company. How well does Saban do in the media..ok. He’s not anywhere near as charismatic as Dabo. That should only be a deciding factor if both candidates are equal. UM has now gone with car salesman Al and Bible banger Richt. Now here we are getting much of the same we had with the last regime. One side of the ball playing well while the HC’s side sucks because they’re stubborn and have their yes men.
If anything, it’s time to learn from past mistakes. A guy like Leach won’t need ace recruiters at UM. You get recruits when you win places, but winning is especially the key in South FL. You put up 50 points a game and guys like Haselwood are coming.
People said Shannon would kill it because he’s black, UM legacy, and a native. People said CMR gets along with parents and has GA ties. People said Golden is an up and comer who delvelops talent and will open up more NE ties. It’s all the same BS.
Diaz and Leach together would be the most legit staff the school has seen since Butch in his prime.

Advertisement
I think Kyle is hitting on the crux of the issue here. The Overlords at UM will always require that any program-head be a good face for the university from a PR and ethics standpoint. Winning football games is secondary to their goals.

Not sure about the motives/goals of the administration/BOT, but I see the two -- winning games at UM and hiring coaches with good reputations of being a good face for a program -- as twin aims that, for us, must go hand in glove. UM, like only a handful other schools (e.g., USC), is held to a different standard of what is required to be considered a "clean program" by the NCAA and certain media outlets (i.e., $I, E$PN). If we brought in a guy with a history or who is otherwise too "rough around the edges," I'd be legitimately concerned with the public perception and having the NCAA watchdogs sniffing around (as well as local reporters looking to make a name for themselves at the cost of the program). I do, however, think the administration/BOT is more sensitive about these issues than is reasonable (like with Leach), and is overly cautious (sometimes in a way that harms our chances of bringing in the best people to win). But I do believe part of the concern over PR/ethics is warranted.

Careful with this argument, the contingent who feel South FL 3 stars are all underrated will feel this makes him an even better fit.

This team would have 8+ wins with Leach currently. We had the best class since 08 last year and it has meant NOTHING thus far.

I don't like Leach for us, for a number of reasons, but I also don't agree that his successors enjoy more success that he does.

Best Texas Tech team ever was under his watch, back in '08 with Harrell and Crabtree.

And this Wazzu team is the best they've ever had minus the Rose Bowl Ryan Lead squad.

Advertisement
I think Kyle is hitting on the crux of the issue here. The Overlords at UM will always require that any program-head be a good face for the university from a PR and ethics standpoint. Winning football games is secondary to their goals.
If what you are saying is the case, then UM has a group of total idiots as its BOT. The football program is an extremely important revenue source for the university and a WINNING program makes much more money than a losing one. A rhesus monkey can understand that.

Maybe someone needs to remind the BOT that UM is not the Salvation Army or some charity and does not need some
goodwill ambassador but rather needs a football coach who can put a good product on the field that is not an embarrassment. Apparently Washington State U understands what the U of Miami does not.

A lot of fans believe Mike Leach among other good choices could put a team on the field with a better chance of winning than the ****show we have now.
He is not a convicted felon and i'm sure he probably has decent table manners and wouldn't fart on live TV.

Its mind-boggling how idiot fans will scream "NO BUTCH, NO LEACH" but gobble up losers like Shannon, Golden, and
Richt and watch the Canes football program become a laughingstock

Hey BOT, you ******** want a football program with a good face ? How about one that DOESN"T LOSE TO ******* DUKE !

No. I’m in the middle. Not ready for him to be fired but feel he has to make major coaching changes, including removing himself as OC.
He’s gotta do more than hire an OC. He’s gotta extricate himself from the offense, and allow the OC to run his own system.

Hiring an OC who takes marching orders from richt won’t change anything.

Job has been open 3 times since his time at Texas Tech. I'm sure his agent reached out to Miami to express interest in the job every time. I highly doubt the powers that be would let him be the face of our program. Smart guy, but it isn't meant to happen.

Yup, the 15-year path of steady decline is a much better face. We are now the doormats of the ACC.

STILL has never won a conference division/championship. And when they lose to Washington that will still be the case. Just think about that .....all the years of being a HC he has never won a division. And dont think just cause he is at Miami that kids will come. You wont get any top rated RB or OL. Most WRs know its a gimmick O and wont get them ready for NFL.

Advertisement
There's a reason why coaches like Jimmy Johnson left Oklahoma State to come to Miami -- why Erickson left WSU -- why Saban left Michigan State, etc. You can't recruit there. When Leach is at a school where he actually has a chance to recruit big, well then you can legitimately judge him for it. Until then you're just being another of the annoying little Leach hating bìtches who unfortunately infest this forum to spew the same kind of bile as the Butch haters.

There's a reason why coaches like Jimmy Johnson left Oklahoma State to come to Miami -- why Erickson left WSU -- why Saban left Michigan State, etc. You can't recruit there. When Leach is at a school where he actually has a chance to recruit big, well then you can legitimately judge him for it. Until then you're just being another of the annoying little Leach hating bìtches who unfortunately infest this forum to spew the same kind of bile as the Butch haters.

If all Mike Leach ever needed was a chance at a big school, why hasn't a single big school hired him? Coaches from lesser programs are hired every year. Why not Leach?

Standard answer: "they don't get his personality".

If all Mike Leach ever needed was a chance at a big school, why hasn't a single big school hired him? Coaches from lesser programs are hired every year. Why not Leach? Standard answer: "they don't get his personality".

Adam James incident + ridiculous tightassed worries about personality.

Advertisement
Right, the standard answer. Leach, like Butch, would be dominating college football if someone would just give them a chance.

Standard answer may just be right. No guarantees of course, but the path we've chosen since Butch has not been a good one. Time to listen to different people.

Not sure about the motives/goals of the administration/BOT, but I see the two -- winning games at UM and hiring coaches with good reputations of being a good face for a program -- as twin aims that, for us, must go hand in glove. UM, like only a handful other schools (e.g., USC), is held to a different standard of what is required to be considered a "clean program" by the NCAA and certain media outlets (i.e., $I, E$PN). If we brought in a guy with a history or who is otherwise too "rough around the edges," I'd be legitimately concerned with the public perception and having the NCAA watchdogs sniffing around (as well as local reporters looking to make a name for themselves at the cost of the program). I do, however, think the administration/BOT is more sensitive about these issues than is reasonable (like with Leach), and is overly cautious (sometimes in a way that harms our chances of bringing in the best people to win). But I do believe part of the concern over PR/ethics is warranted.

What local reporters? None one of them can sniff anything to date about anything major at the program. You think having Leach here would make them suddenly sleuth detectives? I think you’re over blowing the hate on Leach as a potential HC here at the U. It’s time people got out of their comfort zones and think out of the box for our next HC. The focus should be on finding the best fit to get us back to the upper echelon of college football. It’s obvious that the “safe” pick has screwed us royally the last 4 HC hires we’ve done. It’s beyond time to change the mindset and get a new coach in here that’s innovative and honestly; doesn’t give a **** about pacifying the media or our opponents but rather has a killer mentality that doesn’t give a f*** about that nor what they think as he’s running up the score. We need a savage not a bible thumper.

Advertisement
So you hire a staff that can recruit and allow Leach to average 50pts a game with them.

Or, an I'm just spitballing here...you hire a guy to be an actual HC and let him hire some coordinators. I think we've all lost sight of the fact that the HCs job isn't to make a great O or D, it's to run the show. If he can do that and he's an X/Os guy, great. But job 1 is to be the guy in charge, the guy that kids want to play for, that moms want coaching their sons, that rich guys want to give money to.

Richt's failing isn't sucking as a play caller, it's not realizing that he sucks as a play caller. Let's hire based on what we need long-term, not just to fix one current problem.

Can we finally end the knee jerk lovefest with him?

All this talk about him with elite South Florida athletes will never happen because he won’t have any:

Mike Leach didn’t fight hard to recruit at Texas Tech and has never made it a major component of his formula for success, which is perhaps a part of the reason why some of his successors have had more success. Leach has always had better things to do (in his estimation) than try to ingratiate himself with teenage boys and their families. Like learning about history or drawing up a new way to run a passing concept on a diner napkin."

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/10/6/16431828/the-mike-leach-coaching-tree-washington-state

It's Steve Spurrier to the t.

What local reporters? None one of them can sniff anything to date about anything major at the program. You think having Leach here would make them suddenly sleuth detectives? I think you’re over blowing the hate on Leach as a potential HC here at the U. It’s time people got out of their comfort zones and think out of the box for our next HC. The focus should be on finding the best fit to get us back to the upper echelon of college football. It’s obvious that the “safe” pick has screwed us royally the last 4 HC hires we’ve done. It’s beyond time to change the mindset and get a new coach in here that’s innovative and honestly; doesn’t give a **** about pacifying the media or our opponents but rather has a killer mentality that doesn’t give a f*** about that nor what they think as he’s running up the score. We need a savage not a bible thumper.

Know your history -- the local reporter bit was a shot at LeBastard. And as far as Leach, I specifically said I thought not giving him a look was an example of the BOT/admin being unreasonably sensitive.

The problem, it seems, is the administration/BOT will not touch anyone with even a hint of impropriety in their background. Like Leach or hate Leach (I happen to like Leach, btw), he was fired from TT just under a decade ago for allegedly forcing him to stand concussed in an equipment room closet. The administration/BOT tends to shy away from even the slightest bit of controversy. My point was smaller and more simple -- some heightened level of caution is warranted in light of the way Miami is treated by certain media outlets and the NCAA. I'm not talking about running up the score or stupid **** like that... I'm talking about the sort of **** that ends with NCAA sanctions.

Careful with this argument, the contingent who feel South FL 3 stars are all underrated will feel this makes him an even better fit.

Could you imagine the hard on these guys would get when we built a team with more south Florida 2 and 3 stars than FIU/FAU. They would be screaming all off season about how are back and how those 5 star scrubs are going to get destroyed by our underrated SO Fla players. Then they would die down when we got out **** pushed in by a G5 team with a similar amount of 3 stars.

Advertisement
Back