Hoodie Off, Let's Go!

Am I the only one unconcerned about McFarland? I said a while back that I didn't like the idea of two injury prone running backs. Had I a choice of Burns and him, I would've gone with McFarland though.

Having said that, I wish we had gone after Malik Davis as he's the steal of this class. Lemmons, will he get in, is he a headcase, etc? I don't know, but he's got talent.

You can't pine for the recruits you didn't get too much as it'll drive you nuts in the long run. We now have two classes in a row where I feel we've got at least 80% of them all being solid contributors one day. That's far better than how I've felt prior signing days going years back.

Got the QB I wanted and a backup who I think will press for time....didn't think that way initially about Perry over Weldon. Got some guys that can protect them both. Anything we get from Burns is more than I expect, but man oh man can we sell playing time next year when we're pitching recruits. Thomas, enough said and Harley I wanted going back to last summer. The D, a bit thin on corners, but with a stacked class we should do fine next year.

I believe in this staff, they just have to build on the second half of last season.

Advertisement
Am I the only one unconcerned about McFarland? I said a while back that I didn't like the idea of two injury prone running backs. Had I a choice of Burns and him, I would've gone with McFarland though.

Having said that, I wish we had gone after Malik Davis as he's the steal of this class. Lemmons, will he get in, is he a headcase, etc? I don't know, but he's got talent.

You can't pine for the recruits you didn't get too much as it'll drive you nuts in the long run. We now have two classes in a row where I feel we've got at least 80% of them all being solid contributors one day. That's far better than how I've felt prior signing days going years back.

Got the QB I wanted and a backup who I think will press for time....didn't think that way initially about Perry over Weldon. Got some guys that can protect them both. Anything we get from Burns is more than I expect, but man oh man can we sell playing time next year when we're pitching recruits. Thomas, enough said and Harley I wanted going back to last summer. The D, a bit thin on corners, but with a stacked class we should do fine next year.

I believe in this staff, they just have to build on the second half of last season.
Agree with you on Adarius Lemons, he was my favorite RB in 2017 & I made threads about the very subject going all the way back to September/October...

The main problem with him is, it would be impossible to get him qualified here, he would never make it past clearinghouse.
He almost **** near dropped out of school his Senior year because his off the field & academic issues... Simply put, kid had horrendous test scores & grades. I don't necessarily fault him too much, because he's clearly a kid who needs a lot of help academically & people just let him get by because he's a gifted Football player.

That happens far too often with athletes. The parent or parents are guilty in those cases, but what's their alternative in a lot of situations? Keep them out of their sport, they end up on the streets, or who knows what. I'm not casting blame as I don't know his situation, but dang someone needs to tell them all that one can't happen without the other as sports and grades to hand in hand.

Always refreshing to see somebody willing to change their mind on here. Agree with what you said with the possible exception of Brown. In this case I assume that's Richt's call as to whether to recruit a 3rd RB just in case. Whatever man, keep doing your thing.

I'm not bashing Brown or Rumph, per say, but I do feel they are the weakest link b/c of their personality. They have to balance being the nice guy, father figure persona, with ensuring getting a guy paid at the next level. It's a hard task and I don't envy these coaches. I'm in sales, and b4 I got to the top in my profession, I had to bump my head in trying to find the balance of assuming the sale, not looking needy, but not ignoring the client, either. It's tough. That's y I hope they learn from this. They're both EXCELLENT coaches, and I'm going to assume the product on the field will eventually recruit itself.

Solid OP, mane, and I agree with this post as well. The additions, particularly on the OL, are going to allow our playmakers to do what they're supposed to do. As for the 2 coaches you mentioned, I think they were stung by their own inexperience. Both, especially Rumph, showed they are quality coaches. Excited to see what they can do with the new talent.

Hit, stick, bust ****!

Advertisement
Always refreshing to see somebody willing to change their mind on here. Agree with what you said with the possible exception of Brown. In this case I assume that's Richt's call as to whether to recruit a 3rd RB just in case. Whatever man, keep doing your thing.

I'm not bashing Brown or Rumph, per say, but I do feel they are the weakest link b/c of their personality. They have to balance being the nice guy, father figure persona, with ensuring getting a guy paid at the next level. It's a hard task and I don't envy these coaches. I'm in sales, and b4 I got to the top in my profession, I had to bump my head in trying to find the balance of assuming the sale, not looking needy, but not ignoring the client, either. It's tough. That's y I hope they learn from this. They're both EXCELLENT coaches, and I'm going to assume the product on the field will eventually recruit itself.

I agree with them being weak recruiting links, I'm just putting the blame (if there is any) on Richt for not having a 3rd RB lined up. He's the boss and it's his job to tell Brown not to be a dumb@ss if Brown wanted to ignore a 3rd guy. Not really important, it's done now.

I do wonder where that balance between recruiter and coach lies. Rumph seems to strike out a lot on the trail, but he's done a nice job coaching the DBs. Would be nice if he started landing some kids, but do you fire him and take your chances with a better recruiter being able to get on-field production out of your DBs?

And as an aside, if Randy being able to land top dudes doesn't argue for bags being dropped, I don't know what does. He's a fine fellow, but I just can't see him wowing with his personality.

Solid OP, mane, and I agree with this post as well. The additions, particularly on the OL, are going to allow our playmakers to do what they're supposed to do. As for the 2 coaches you mentioned, I think they were stung by their own inexperience. Both, especially Rumph, showed they are quality coaches. Excited to see what they can do with the new talent.

Hit, stick, bust ****!

Yes sir, absolutely.

I agree with them being weak recruiting links, I'm just putting the blame (if there is any) on Richt for not having a 3rd RB lined up. He's the boss and it's his job to tell Brown not to be a dumb@ss if Brown wanted to ignore a 3rd guy. Not really important, it's done now.

I do wonder where that balance between recruiter and coach lies. Rumph seems to strike out a lot on the trail, but he's done a nice job coaching the DBs. Would be nice if he started landing some kids, but do you fire him and take your chances with a better recruiter being able to get on-field production out of your DBs?

And as an aside, if Randy being able to land top dudes doesn't argue for bags being dropped, I don't know what does. He's a fine fellow, but I just can't see him wowing with his personality.

We give him class of 18. AH and Aquinas are both loaded at the position he coaches. If he strikes out in 18, I dunno, man. I mean, you can trip and land one of these kids, ESPECIALLY one in Blades. I'll chop up this year as inexperience, but next year??? No excuse

Advertisement
Back