Honest Question - Holding Penalties

Advertisement
OP you are correct.

There was an egregious hold on DeAndre Johnson in the 3rd quarter...

He had Pickett dead to rights of an inside stunt & literally got the back of his jersey ripped which allowed Pickett enough to scramble out of the pocket & throw a TD.

There was another really bad non-holding call on Harvey too, he beat his man coming the around the corner off a dip & rip move & got straight up yanked & hooked by the OT.

I remember last year’s VA Tech game they were holding TF outta Roche & Nesta & didn’t throw a single flag all game.

But the 2017 season was the worst I’ve ever seen, we literally went the entire season without ANY holding penalties called for us in any game at all, like the whole **** season they didn’t call holding once.
Im foggy on the exact number, but I remember it was some asinine number in the 670s to 700+ of consecutive defensive snaps without a holding call.

The phrase “they could call holding on every play” is true to an extent but there were at least two times against Pitt where the lineman literally tackled the defensive end and no flag. One play was a Pitt touchdown and the other ended up being like a 30+ yard gain. Look, I’m ok if the refs want to look the other way on an occasional grab but when you headlock a dude and drag him to the ground like a rodeo calf, it’s ridiculous.

It became obvious in 2017 that referees were blatantly ignoring holding on Miami’s opponents. How does a team that is near the top in tackles for loss and sacks not have a single opponent holding penalty for almost an entire season? Just based off the law of averages, there should have been a flag thrown here or there but….nothing. By the time we got to the bowl game, Wisconsin knew that if they held on every play, they wouldn’t get flagged and they could easily beat the defense.

Advertisement
It’s been an ongoing thing since cmr.
He lost his **** mind in the game against Wisconsin.
It’s one thing to miss it but it’s a whole different level when you just ignore it.
We didn’t get a holding call most of the season and it didn’t start happening until social media got a hold of it and started posting about it.

Seems like our pass rushers get grabbed more than a hot chick in Italy. Has anyone paid close attention to this aspect in other games when Miami is not playing, particularly ACC games?
Are officials “letting them play” across the board, or is it just against us?
Feels like we should be escalating this, but I may just be a homer.

Pickett threw a TD on this play. Obvious holding.

Attachments

• holding.jpg
    holding.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 40
Advertisement
There's holding on most plays. It's just part of the game.. However, it should be called when it's blatant or affects the outcome of the play.

There's holding on most plays. It's just part of the game.. However, it should be called when it's blatant or affects the outcome of the play.
Absolutely correct. Holding occurs on most plays, so then simply don't ever call it. That's fine. The selective calling of it is what drives folks crazy.

Advertisement
They call us for some dumb sh*t. But let this go on all day. If refs could be held accountable it would be nice
Given up on refs, especially our ACC characters. The beauty was the Pitt defender who took a blatant first half dive, flew back to the ground with his hands flaying in the air, and drew a personal foul penalty. The ref was 3 feet away, watched the whole thing and like a robot reached for his flag. The guy is either blind or incompetent, or maybe both. If you're that bad, you shouldn't be allowed to work another game.

OP...ur not wrong. As a ref it's actually disgusting to watch. Idk why but its blatant when we play. Now I'm a bit more engaged when watching our team play than when watching other games but to me it seems quite obvious that they hold flags when our defense is on the field. So blatant that I don't even get upset about it anymore. Kids just have to play through it smh

Advertisement
Given up on refs, especially our ACC characters. The beauty was the Pitt defender who took a blatant first half dive, flew back to the ground with his hands flaying in the air, and drew a personal foul penalty. The ref was 3 feet away, watched the whole thing and like a robot reached for his flag. The guy is either blind or incompetent, or maybe both. If you're that bad, you shouldn't be allowed to work another game.
They made up for that one with the second roughing the passer penalty when the guy barely hit Van Dyke and it was almost immediately after he released the ball. Whatever, if you're going to try to flop to pick up BS calls, don't get mad when the refs call it the other way.

I saw Roman highlight one of them that I was screaming at during the game where the Pitt tackle had his arm literally wrapped around the neck of our end and then tackled him and there was no call. That one was blatant; I have no idea how visible stuff like that isn't called. I think @DTP and I are referring to the same one . . . it went for a big gain.

Pitt players flopped 2x and the refs took the bait...when the flag came out on the 2nd one after a kickoff the pitt player jumped to his feet and joyfully sprinted off the field as he knew the refs signed off on his academy award performance.

Advertisement
Back