Honest Question - Holding Penalties

RichtshawFerguson

Redshirt Freshman
Seems like our pass rushers get grabbed more than a hot chick in Italy. Has anyone paid close attention to this aspect in other games when Miami is not playing, particularly ACC games?
Are officials “letting them play” across the board, or is it just against us?
Feels like we should be escalating this, but I may just be a homer.

Advertisement
Seems like our pass rushers get grabbed more than a hot chick in Italy. Has anyone paid close attention to this aspect in other games when Miami is not playing, particularly ACC games?
Are officials “letting them play” across the board, or is it just against us?
Feels like we should be escalating this, but I may just be a homer.

I would need to go through hundreds of hours of film to be sure, but it sure seems that way.

I can tell you for sure a game where we got totally hosed in that respect, the 2017 OB game vs Wisky.

Our Dlinemen were literally getting tackled on almost literally every passing play.

I would need to go through hundreds of hours of film to be sure, but it sure seems that way.

I can tell you for sure a game where we got totally hosed in that respect, the 2017 OB game vs Wisky.

Our Dlinemen were literally getting tackled on almost literally every passing play.
Is that the game Richt lost his **** after a non-call?

Advertisement
I wish I had that South Park GIF from the economy crash episode where the government makes their decisions based off of a chicken who gets his head cut off and runs around until its dead.

Thats what holding penalties are to me these days. Its random.

Advertisement
TV broadcast ruins the sport because of this. There’s holding on every play no doubt but the angle at which we see the game on tv allows us to see it in 4K. Officiating needs to change in the trenches. It’s bad. At all levels

I feel like whether I'm watching on TV or at the stadium, I spend the entire time we're on defense screaming HOLDING!! The people sitting in my section must be sick of me.

Been this way for years.
A few years ago I heard and announcer say refs have been told to calm holding calls down around cfb. He insinuated that it was to speed the game up , not to call them unless it’s just blatant. Which makes sense because I see guys getting undressed every game and rarely see a call.

I get theres a holding on every play and by the amount called you know theres likely some validity to what he said. Also they kill drives and makes scoring go down and it’s a business.

Advertisement
OP you are correct.

There was an egregious hold on DeAndre Johnson in the 3rd quarter...

He had Pickett dead to rights of an inside stunt & literally got the back of his jersey ripped which allowed Pickett enough to scramble out of the pocket & throw a TD.

There was another really bad non-holding call on Harvey too, he beat his man coming the around the corner off a dip & rip move & got straight up yanked & hooked by the OT.

I remember last year’s VA Tech game they were holding TF outta Roche & Nesta & didn’t throw a single flag all game.

But the 2017 season was the worst I’ve ever seen, we literally went the entire season without ANY holding penalties called for us in any game at all, like the whole **** season they didn’t call holding once.

It has been this way for years where the officiating mechanic is to only call holding if it significantly impacts the play and is "big" - meaning blatant.

On a similar note, ACC officials are among the worst in the nation. Pac12 used to be pretty bad but I havent watched enough of them this year. ACC officials get minor mechanical things wrong that shouldn't be missed at the D1 level.

Big10 probably has the best officials with the Big12 coming in 2nd.

OP you are correct.

He had Pickett dead to rights of an inside stunt & literally got the back of his jersey ripped which allowed Pickett enough to scramble out of the pocket & throw a TD.

There was another really bad non-holding call on Harvey too, he beat his man coming the around the corner off a dip & rip move & got straight up yanked & hooked by the OT.

I remember last year’s VA Tech game they were holding TF outta Roche & Nesta & didn’t throw a single flag all game.

But the 2017 season was the worst I’ve ever seen, we literally went the entire season without ANY holding penalties called for us in any game at all, like the whole **** season they didn’t call holding once.

Exactly. And that’s the year we had a really good solid and active Dline, end to end, some guys that at least made it to the league even if they didn’t stick forever. In any event, a top-notch college defensive line. One of the better ones that year. They really held those guys back, figuratively and literally.

Advertisement
OP you are correct.

And we had 4 or 5 of the Dlineman that went the the NFL...no holding my ***
2017 showed me the light...
But yesterday was pretty **** bad
We had guys getting jerseys ripped...was horrible

It has been this way for years where the officiating mechanic is to only call holding if it significantly impacts the play and is "big" - meaning blatant.

On a similar note, ACC officials are among the worst in the nation. Pac12 used to be pretty bad but I havent watched enough of them this year. ACC officials get minor mechanical things wrong that shouldn't be missed at the D1 level.

Big10 probably has the best officials with the Big12 coming in 2nd.
I agree ...the ACC officials have been known to ***** us...even the other teams know it...especially the teams out of Carolina

OP you are correct.

#77 for Pitt was so blatantly holding on every series. He only got called for it 1 time

Advertisement
Back