Honest Question - Holding Penalties

Advertisement
At least the no-safety and late fumble calls were correct.
Actually...the late fumble should not have mattered where it went out of bounds...he caught it and already passed the line to gain...2 yards passed so that is the forward progress and a first down already....he fumbled after that and then its just placement after the 1st down was completed...
Fvckin ACC officials suck...and I have always hated the conference

Actually...the late fumble should not have mattered where it went out of bounds...he caught it and already passed the line to gain...2 yards passed so that is the forward progress and a first down already....he fumbled after that and then its just placement after the 1st down was completed...
A ball carrier can’t fumble backward? Would need to see the text of rule you’re reading.

I’ve seen the similar plays ruled the same many, many times. Ball carrier fumbles, the ball rolls backwards, out of bounds, and the ball is spotted where the ball went out of bounds.

A ball carrier can’t fumble backward? Would need to see the text of rule you’re reading.

I’ve seen the similar plays ruled the same many, many times. Ball carrier fumbles, the ball rolls backwards, out of bounds, and the ball is spotted where the ball went out of bounds.
Yes, the ball carrier can fumble backwards. It does not go to the spot of the fumble...it goes to where it was recovered or went out of bounds.

Advertisement
This is incorrect

Yes...but they were determining if it was first down gain...he already passed line to gain 2 yards ahead...then fumbles...but keep possession...it doesn't matter where it ended up...first down was completed.

Yes...but they were determining if it was first down gain...he already passed line to gain 2 yards ahead...then fumbles...but keep possession...it doesn't matter where it ended up...first down was completed.
Forward progress does not apply.

Mallory gained sufficent yardage for a first down but lost possession when he fumbled. The ball rolled backwards out of bounds near the first down marker. By rule the Canes retain possession where ball were out of bounds. On review they ruled the ball rolled out just past the line to gain, per measurement. First down. Had the ball rolled out of bounds a foot farther back it would have been fourth down.

I've seen first downs lost on backwards fumbles recovered to retain possession numerous times, college and NFL.

Seems like our pass rushers get grabbed more than a hot chick in Italy. Has anyone paid close attention to this aspect in other games when Miami is not playing, particularly ACC games?
Are officials “letting them play” across the board, or is it just against us?
Feels like we should be escalating this, but I may just be a homer.
Honestly, when I have time, I want to run some stats on it. Manny defenses typically have high havoc rates (TFLs, sacks, etc...). That should usually be associated with a high percentage of holding calls in your favor, I'd assume. I want to see how that relationship looks across the country, and if UM is an outlier

Advertisement
Honestly, when I have time, I want to run some stats on it. Manny defenses typically have high havoc rates (TFLs, sacks, etc...). That should usually be associated with a high percentage of holding calls in your favor, I'd assume. I want to see how that relationship looks across the country, and if UM is an outlier
I’d be interested to see your results

OP you are correct.

There was an egregious hold on DeAndre Johnson in the 3rd quarter...

He had Pickett dead to rights of an inside stunt & literally got the back of his jersey ripped which allowed Pickett enough to scramble out of the pocket & throw a TD.

There was another really bad non-holding call on Harvey too, he beat his man coming the around the corner off a dip & rip move & got straight up yanked & hooked by the OT.

I remember last year’s VA Tech game they were holding TF outta Roche & Nesta & didn’t throw a single flag all game.

But the 2017 season was the worst I’ve ever seen, we literally went the entire season without ANY holding penalties called for us in any game at all, like the whole **** season they didn’t call holding once.
But, according to some of the geniuses on CiS, we’re just crying bro. It happens to every team, bro. They can’t call everyone of them, bro.

The problem isn’t that they don’t call everyone of them. The problem is that they rarely call it.

Same thing goes for P.I.. Not only was the Cager blatant no call against Wisconsin atrocious, with the referee staring right at it, but so are many others.

The ***** that the refs did to Jeff Thomas during the LSU game a few seasons back was criminal. He was getting tackled 5 yards before the ball got there, with the ref looking right at it, and not 1 flag was thrown. It happened at least twice, if not three times.

Refs have always given us the short end of the stick.

Fans don’t understand that in the old days we could overcome it because our dudes were monsters, practiced harder than anyone, and had great coaching. Nowadays, we don’t have any of those luxuries.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe it's my orange and green glasses, but I see us being held more than other teams.

That Orange Bowl one of Wisconsin's holds ked to an interception in the end zone.
We were kicking their @$$es 14-3 in that game. Then the zebras stepped in and the tide turned in the blink of an eye. Calling it like it is isn’t being a homer, it’s called being honest.

All teams get bad calls. We just tend to get way more blatant no calls or bad calls.

Advertisement
refs are more crooked than they've ever been, it's a pain in the *** to not only watch our games but also jville jaguar games.

Last game when the jags were down 14-0 our safety made a nice play on the ball and knocked it away forcing a 4th down and I could feel the momentum changing. But I also felt something else as I exclaimed after seeing him bat the ball down, "if they throw a flag, i'm fcking done"

sure enough not even one second later there's that yellow emblem on the screen and I walked right out the fcking door to the back yard and proceeded to drink myself into oblivion. I don't know who the "inside" boys truly are besides a select few teams, but miami hurricanes and jacksonville jaguars aren't part of the "good ole boys"

I would need to go through hundreds of hours of film to be sure, but it sure seems that way.

I can tell you for sure a game where we got totally hosed in that respect, the 2017 OB game vs Wisky.

Our Dlinemen were literally getting tackled on almost literally every passing play.
And their DB physically assaulted Cager on the way to the end zone.

Seems like our pass rushers get grabbed more than a hot chick in Italy. Has anyone paid close attention to this aspect in other games when Miami is not playing, particularly ACC games?
Are officials “letting them play” across the board, or is it just against us?
Feels like we should be escalating this, but I may just be a homer.
I ALWAYS watch.this in the acc and all over the country. No team is held as much and no team I've seen team suffers as many no calls for it as we do. It's pathetic.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back