Honest Question For The Board…

…how can Mario see the incredibly efficient and high-powered offenses at TN, Baga, Taint, USC, etc., and still prefer to run the plodding offense that he’s preferred over his career as a HC?

…and to those that say that he has no choice because of injuries. He was running the same bullshyt offense even before all of the injuries. Gattis might be the play caller, but he’s running Mario’s preferred scheme.
Because he would rather win a tough nail biter like today that required toughness, guts, enter any coach cliche here rather than win in a blowout with a “finesse“ offense. I said it before the year started and it’s being proven true.

plus the 80 million they gave him implies that Mia i thinks his way works, so why would he change? He got his dream job and a huge payday by doing it “his way”

Advertisement
He is an Offensive tackle. He has an Offensive tackle mindset which does not relate to today's college football landscape.

Reminds me of the mirror image - D'Onofrio - doing it like The Tie wanted it done.

I still recall Third and Forty-Three.

I don't think Mario has ever considered the very teams he played on at UM. Of course, on the line - maybe he couldn't see siht - except the one in front of him.

I am hopeful it is just Gattis that is the problem, and Mario will make the neccesary changes and adjustments after the seasson is done

It is rumored Jason candle was offered the OC job, and Kendal briles was one that was interviews. Those two names alone gives me hope that he is open to the spread attack, and we just missed with the Gattis hire.

There is zero chance that Highsmith is not going to make sure Mario sees exactly where the problem lies. Likewise, an OL full of road graders helps every offensive style.

It's not like it used to be where the coach could deflect criticism. There's far too much money at stake here now.

There is zero chance that Highsmith is not going to make sure Mario sees exactly where the problem lies. Likewise, an OL full of road graders helps every offensive style.

It's not like it used to be where the coach could deflect criticism. There's far too much money at stake here now.
They need to self scout, scout the elite offenses, and ponder this stat:

Advertisement
His offense might be more successful with a competent OL. But Mario shouldn’t force it if the players are not there. Good coaches will use the talent available to their abilities. Clearly there is a miss between talent and scheme
The ceiling for this offense is Michigan. Sure they win but the moment they get into a fight with a team as skillful as them it’s a toss up. Can be like their game against OSU last year or like the one against UGA. It’s not exciting and requires a strong D to hold it down so you’re never out of it or pressured to change mid game.

Someone post the "I'm glad I don't know most of you in real life" screencap.

Oregon offense this year versus last is a full 11 point difference. Largely the same team just different coaches. You do the math.

This offense isn't what Mario wants, but it'll never be what most of us want either.

Gattis needs to go. No more perfect example than the last series in regulation. Receiver on an island at the bottom of the screen, slot receiver moves over into the box and we run it up the middle. He runs a short post there's no inside help or anything, it's as sure of a TD as you will ever see, game over.
Not the same offense At Oregon. Look at the QB’s.

I understand your point of view. But we’ve seen multiple stubborn idiots come through as HC in these parts.

Clappy with his refusal to let Berlin play out of the shotgun exclusively. Golden with his dumb blind loyalty to Dorito, Richt with his refusal to hire a real QB coach and a modern OC, Manny with his refusal to hire a DC that would run his own defensive scheme.

There have been plenty of idiots around these parts. He would be the next one in a long line.
Except Manny DID hire a DC to run his defense. It was Blake Baker that allowed UNC 4th and 17.
Also…well all of 2019…

Advertisement
Advertisement
Except Manny DID hire a DC to run his defense. It was Blake Baker that allowed UNC 4th and 17.
Also…well all of 2019…
Blake Baker ran Manny’s D, not his own scheme. He just called the D, and Manny had to call a few games during Blake’s tenure, because Blake was even worse than Manny.

Mario is an Oline coach and as such wants to run an offense that showcases that Oline…hence the 3yds in a cloud of turf offense he wants to run…we might not be the best at any other position but you can bet he will have his Oline looking like one of the best in CFB…

Advertisement
Its his philosphy. He wants to be tuff n fizikal.. He wants to run head first thru a wall, thats how he believes you have to win.. He sees high powered offenses as weakness and doesnt think its how you win..

He would have to change his entire DNA that he feels has gotten him where he is.. Lets see if he adapts.. lol
Adapt or Die!

Mario is Jimbo Fisher. Will do great recruiting but results won't translate on the field because gone are the days where you can simply out talent every team you play. He'll lose 2-3 games per year bc he won't adapt.

I understand your point of view. But we’ve seen multiple stubborn idiots come through as HC in these parts.

Clappy with his refusal to let Berlin play out of the shotgun exclusively. Golden with his dumb blind loyalty to Dorito, Richt with his refusal to hire a real QB coach and a modern OC, Manny with his refusal to hire a DC that would run his own defensive scheme.

There have been plenty of idiots around these parts. He would be the next one in a long line.
Curious to know, what was our points per game, yards per game n passing yards per game under Golden vs Mario.

Joe Dirt Post GIF

Advertisement
Back