Honest question - do we really have better talent???

I know our coaching has sucked for past 15+ years but even with bad coaching wouldn’t we be able to overcome our past losses based on sheer talent. To me our players just dont seem to be self motivated and really don’t care about losing. Just because you are from So FL doesn’t mean you are a better than others.
I know good coaching would bring out the best in our players- but should they have the inner will be neat the fack out of FIU OR DUKE.

Miami has had pockets of talent over that span, but never a complete teams. Some years the defense was strong and the offense trash—like the past three. Other years, the Canes offense could move the ball and the defense was Swiss Cheese—i.e.—the Golden era.

Canes haven't had a quarterback in 15 years, while the offensive line has been off more than on—so how good are your wide receivers or running backs going to be in that situation.

"Talent" means something when you're talking about loaded programs like Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State and Clemson. Miami having a handful of quality guys every year doesn't make a talented team—and look no further than recent NFL Drafts where most Canes are going day three.

Sure, in theory Miami should never lose to an FIU or Duke—but that discredits the efforts of a motivated bunch. Everyone and their mother knew Butch would have his kids jacked for that game and the Canes would roll in flat—and wouldn't you know it, that's just what happened.

After the Duke loss, Cutcliffe talked about his his kids were playing for pride. Period. Their season was done, they weren't going bowling—but to them, Miami football is still Miami football (the same way Canes basketball will always be up for the Blue Devils). Those kids played hard while UM went through the motions and the result was a Duke win.

Talent is nothing without effort , heart and execution. Miami lacked all of that this season. Yes, the coaches let the players down—but that doesn't dismiss the half-*** effort and lack of pride from a lot of divas on this team, who come home after a loss and search Getty Images from some rare play they made in said post, posting it on social media with some moronic quote about hustling, grinding, staying humble and what not.

Advertisement
The talent question gets old. Miami HAS talent. That’s a fact. Everyone’s perception of them is jaded once the croots get here and underwhelm. Maybe they realize the coaching sucks, the leaders suck and everyone loafs around, playing video games, and football moves to the back burner. Then when their livelihoods depend on it and they make an NFL roster AFTER being low round picks they last in the league a few years. Seems odd these highly rare high school players suck for 3-4 years in college and then bounce back in their professional careers. The majority of our players fall into this pattern. We have talent. Don’t let the teams results and what you can’t see behind the scenes jade that.

We all have entirely different kids on our rosters. Different coaches. Different opponents. No idea why you would expect the same results.

Different environments, as well.

I've lived in Gainesville. I've spent time in Tallahassee and I was born/raised in Miami.

There is a night and day difference between the controlled college town environment versus getting lost in the shuffle that is Miami.

Miami is a city of smoke and mirrors—everybody trying to be somebody, while most are poseurs and nobodies in that scene.

In a college town these guys are big fish in little ponds as the entire town lives, eats, breathes and sleeps football.

This might not have been as big a deal back in the day—but in this instafamous, influencer culture—a lot of Miami guys are being swallowed whole.

Look no further than Tate Martell today, versus the supposedly hungry, ready-to-win-the-starting-job guy he was 11 months ago.

Dude out there flossing like he an NFL starter and stacking paychecks—living that South Beach life with an Instagram model—instead of a third-string quarterback that ran for his life the one possession he had all season, against lowly Louisiana Tech, no less.

To quote our guys on social on a Saturday evening after some low-level ACC team just kicked their teeth in; The struggle is real.

Screecn Shot 2020-01-03 at 6.36.40 AM.png

Ask yourself why 3 florida schools can by and large recruit the same players but they all get different on-field results.

They dont have the same players. Obviously only who you sign matters. And the kids on this team are overwhelmingly entitled primadonna punks. Its exactly what happened this season and whats been happening for some time. Same with FSU. Everyone wants to blame the coaches. Yet Enos was wanted by Saban. Enos will land on his feet and do well somewhere else.

Evidently coaching South Florida kids hard only works for those kids who are seeking it because they see it as how they get better.

There is no doubt that these kids quit on Enos and Manny. Enos is just too mean... he, he , he yelled at them and used bad words... awww poor kids. For the most part that SFL dog has turned into that SFL entitled punk. SFL parents have been using these kids since pee wee league and this is the result. These kids see themselves as assets to their teams before they even get there because they have been assets to their parents and the communities since pee wee football. Entitlement is up across the board with this generation but nothing like how its evolved in SFL. What was once an advantage for UM is now its handicap.

Advertisement
They dont have the same players. Obviously only who you sign matters. And the kids on this team are overwhelmingly entitled primadonna punks. Its exactly what happened this season and whats been happening for some time. Same with FSU. Everyone wants to blame the coaches. Yet Enos was wanted by Saban. Enos will land on his feet and do well somewhere else.

Evidently coaching South Florida kids hard only works for those kids who are seeking it because they see it as how they get better.

There is no doubt that these kids quit on Enos and Manny. Enos is just too mean... he, he , he yelled at them and used bad words... awww poor kids. For the most part that SFL dog has turned into that SFL entitled punk. SFL parents have been using these kids since pee wee league and this is the result. These kids see themselves as assets to their teams before they even get there because they have been assets to their parents and the communities since pee wee football. Entitlement is up across the board with this generation but nothing like how its evolved in SFL. What was once an advantage for UM is now its handicap.
Are you such a deluded boomer that you’re really going to ride with “Penos was fired because this generation is too soft, sjw’s yadda yadda.” ?

This porst isn’t even about football.

Are you such a deluded boomer that you’re really going to ride with “Penos was fired because this generation is too soft, sjw’s yadda yadda.” ?

This porst isn’t even about football.

LOL boomer not even close. And I am saying things that people in the program are saying. But I am the delusional one? Sure the issue with Miami is the coach, again. The coach who was coveted by the greatest talent evaluator in college today and the coach who basically beat both teams paying in the orange bowl, had his QB set the all time single game TD record simply wasn't good enough to beat FIU or even score against La Tech. Yep I am the delusional one.

I love these porst that Bash South Florida kids as being divas and soft and entitled. But neglect to point out we’ve hired that absolute worst coaches. Literally none them of them have been offered HC gigs at any other P5 schools...

Hopefully we can get a proven coach in here one day to dispel this silly notion that South Florida kids are too under developed and they are problem with UM.

Because here’s a new flash. Miami will always be made up of a majority of South Florida kids so if they sUcK aNd aRe EmO DiVas then we will
never be back.

Yeah - it isn’t about our lack of talent. Manny and his Cronies suck. Simple. Don’t confuse yourself.
They certainly do. Miami also has a garbage OL, below average WRs, QBs, DBs, and every kick is a adventure.

Recruiting rankings mean little.

Advertisement
LOL boomer not even close. And I am saying things that people in the program are saying. But I am the delusional one? Sure the issue with Miami is the coach, again. The coach who was coveted by the greatest talent evaluator in college today and the coach who basically beat both teams paying in the orange bowl, had his QB set the all time single game TD record simply wasn't good enough to beat FIU or even score against La Tech. Yep I am the delusional one.
This is so wild right now you're blowing my mind. An actual Dan Enos apologist so we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

I never thought I'd see the day.

This is so wild right now you're blowing my mind. An actual Dan Enos apologist so we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

I never thought I'd see the day.

I am not an apologist. He had to be fired. I get it. Was never a fan of his but I am a realist, we have had both extremes. A coach who came in and played nice guy and simplified everything and ran basic all day and a guy who came in played hard *** and demanded they learn not basic **** and they both failed miserably. People want to act like every single person on this board didnt say anyone was an upgrade on Richt. That Enos wasn't coveted. That Enos was considered Manny's best hire. That we didnt analyse the **** out of him before our first game and that our Oline wasn't the most pathetic part of the team last year. This board is absolutely full of dudes in denial. There is obviously a problem with this program that's much deeper than the coaches.

Advertisement
I know our coaching has sucked for past 15+ years but even with bad coaching wouldn’t we be able to overcome our past losses based on sheer talent. To me our players just dont seem to be self motivated and really don’t care about losing. Just because you are from So FL doesn’t mean you are a better than others.
I know good coaching would bring out the best in our players- but should they have the inner will be neat the fack out of FIU OR DUKE.
Miami doesn't have better talent in the "trenches" .....that's why we need a spread uptempo system to offset that weakness.....

not going through 4 pages, but we have enough talent to get 10 wins out of this schedule esp this year. we dont have the nec talent in key areas to say beat clemson, osu, or LSU, but **** sure enough to be in a NY6 after a 10 win year, including a loss to Clemson in an ACCCG.

Talent is important, but it isn't as important as coaching. That's why you have losses to FIU, Duke, etc.
That's why you see things like Auburn losing to Minnesota in their bowl game.

Advertisement
Talent is a guess and a starting point. The hits and misses likely average out unless your a super poor evaluator. But there are no highschool kids that dont need get better in college. They all have to stop relying on their overwhelming high school talent advantage and they have to learn systems or their talent doesn't mean ****. What we have seen over the past few years is that our talent cant learn systems well enough to make use of their physical abilities so our star ratings dont mean ****.

To answer your question... Do. We have better talent? No. That's what people on here say to make them. Feel better about the ****** coaching

Advertisement
Back