Honest question - do we really have better talent???

Otowncane

5th year sophomore
Premium
I know our coaching has sucked for past 15+ years but even with bad coaching wouldn’t we be able to overcome our past losses based on sheer talent. To me our players just dont seem to be self motivated and really don’t care about losing. Just because you are from So FL doesn’t mean you are a better than others.
I know good coaching would bring out the best in our players- but should they have the inner will be neat the fack out of FIU OR DUKE.

Advertisement
I know our coaching has sucked for past 15+ years but even with bad coaching wouldn’t we be able to overcome our past losses based on sheer talent. To me our players just dont seem to be self motivated and really don’t care about losing. Just because you are from So FL doesn’t mean you are a better than others.
I know good coaching would bring out the best in our players- but should they have the inner will be neat the fack out of FIU OR DUKE.
:muscat:

Advertisement
Yes, we have more talent than the 12 teams we will face this coming season. How do I measure this? By the overall recruiting rankings of the players we have in contrast to the recruiting rankings that our opponents have. The only team we'll play in this coming regular season who has similar talent is FSU and I believe we've actually passed them; especially with Cam, their only legit source of offense for the past 3 years, leaving for the draft.

Nope.gif

These UF players have now won 10 games and 11 games in a season. KISS. One season after winning 4 games, they won 10. Then they won 11 the next year. Their QB improved dramatically under Mullen. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp for Miami fans?

Coaching matters.

CD740309-E5E7-4503-9A2B-D21BD15F2116.png

Anyone that has to preface their question with an Honest Question is not asking an Honest Question.

Advertisement
It is easy to quantify that we have more "blue chip" recruits than most of our opponents. The more difficult question is whether those "blue chip" recruits were overrated by the recruiting services or whether the coaches are not developing them. Either way, in college football, the coaches are responsible for both prospect evaluation and player development, so the fault still lies with the coaching staff here. You could give some of the offensive coaches a pass since they mostly inherited the players, but they still blew it with Martell and OL recruiting.

It is easy to quantify that we have more "blue chip" recruits than most of our opponents. The more difficult question is whether those "blue chip" recruits were overrated by the recruiting services or whether the coaches are not developing them. Either way, in college football, the coaches are responsible for both prospect evaluation and player development, so the fault still lies with the coaching staff here. You could give some of the offensive coaches a pass since they mostly inherited the players, but they still blew it with Martell and OL recruiting.

Maybe UF missed the mark when evaluating the talent for their 4-7 team - only to have Dan Mullen replace those same 80 players during the spring in order to produce 10 wins the very next year.

I guess our Spring draft system isn’t working.

Our talent has been overrated. Do we have more talent than the teams on our schedule? Yes but parity in college football has closed the door on the haves and have nots. We have lazy talent. Talent that isn;t motivated unless they're playing for big stakes. We don't have guys that love football so much that they just want to hit somebody no matter what.

Early 2000's we had talent that overcame bad coaching.
Now our talent can't do that.

Yet for some reason these South Florida "talents" think of themselves in higher regard than they should. Thats why guys like Garvin can be ghosts against FIU but think he's good enough for the NFL. Sure, we have bad coaches but I'm also tired of the divas. I'd rather root for a program like VT or Virginia who plays hard with a bunch of 2 and 3 stars.
THIS PROGRAM IS A DISEASE

Yes, we have more talent than the 12 teams we will face this coming season. How do I measure this? By the overall recruiting rankings of the players we have in contrast to the recruiting rankings that our opponents have. The only team we'll play in this coming regular season who has similar talent is FSU and I believe we've actually passed them; especially with Cam, their only legit source of offense for the past 3 years, leaving for the draft.
recruiting class ranking is part of process, player development another huge area were we have failed the past 15 years.
Also in Talent evaluation, we seem to miss on players who have heart and desire. why do we not have complete classes?
76 scholarship players and we can have 85 ? that give 9 spots for hidden gems and yes reaches....
BTW FSU Norvell is assembling a top notch staff that will help in player development, right now FSU is a much better long term play ig Blake/CMD stay in charge

Advertisement
recruiting class ranking is part of process, player development another huge area were we have failed the past 15 years.
Also in Talent evaluation, we seem to miss on players who have heart and desire. why do we not have complete classes?
76 scholarship players and we can have 85 ? that give 9 spots for hidden gems and yes reaches....
BTW FSU Norvell is assembling a top notch staff that will help in player development, right now FSU is a much better long term play ig Blake/CMD stay in charge
At the moment, I have to agree with this analysis. Once T-Law graduates, Norvell will challenge for the Atlantic.

Maybe UF missed the mark when evaluating the talent for their 4-7 team - only to have Dan Mullen replace those same 80 players during the spring in order to produce 10 wins the very next year.

I guess our Spring draft system isn’t working.

I don't think comparing UF's 4-7 season to the current UM situation is necessarily applicable. Yes, both teams underachieved and UF drastically improved with better coaching and UM would as well...but the two teams are composed of entirely different players. My point was just that you really can't tell the difference between an underachiever and a bust with our current poor coaching staff.

Our talent has been overrated. Do we have more talent than the teams on our schedule? Yes but parity in college football has closed the door on the haves and have nots. We have lazy talent. Talent that isn;t motivated unless they're playing for big stakes. We don't have guys that love football so much that they just want to hit somebody no matter what.

Early 2000's we had talent that overcame bad coaching.
Now our talent can't do that.

Yet for some reason these South Florida "talents" think of themselves in higher regard than they should. Thats why guys like Garvin can be ghosts against FIU but think he's good enough for the NFL. Sure, we have bad coaches but I'm also tired of the divas. I'd rather root for a program like VT or Virginia who plays hard with a bunch of 2 and 3 stars.
THIS PROGRAM IS A DISEASE
we can notice guys who want to play Dejay Dallas an old time cane as well as Quarterman , but head scratcher are guys like V.Donaldson fat and out of shape.... B.Herbert, Z.Hillary who seemingly are really not interested in playing or Martell who takes a pass on the whole season
give me a team that shows up and competes and a staff that develops players i am ok, we will win our share and then some
to many Dogs with Fleas

Advertisement
Coaching matters! Our player development has been has been lacking for many years now. There always will be the handful of guys that are self motivated and can make it themselves. But for the majority of the team something is amiss.

We should never have the records we’ve had the last few years.
But AR82, gw3, and Rousseau are theonly Elite dudes I’ve seen.
don’t see any terrace Marshall’s, Keyvon T, or Nolan smiths, no Tyler Davis’s or leatherwoods, no Fournettes, etc etc. Don’t get me started on qb’s.

But Should we have at least 9-10 wins each of the last few years? Absofcknlutely!!!

Advertisement
Back