Hold it: A Standout Image from the 2016 Season

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Have been playing football and, more importantly, watching football like an outright nerd since I'm about 5 years old. I have never seen anything like what we saw from opposing teams holding our DL and LBs. I'm not talking the stuff that happens every play. I'm talking jerseys twisting across and guys being turned in circles from the outside of their pads.

Don't we have an intern or someone who can go through every defensive snap, collect all of these similar images - and there are MANY - and send them to the ACC? At the very least, awareness should be increased. I don't want our players to complain. Play through it to the best they can. I just want the calls to be made.

ridiculous holding.jpg

Advertisement
I remember in past years when we were the ones holding.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I remember seeing the same thing against F$U. It seems like their players got away with a lot more holding and illegal block calls than we did.

And I am not the type to criticize officials at all.

UNC game was the worst in my opinion.

Was the only game I didn't watch live this year, which gave me the opportunity to pause at every hold that wasn't called - half of which were right in front of an ACC official.

I'm not one to complain about officiating, but I don't understand why UM didn't submit an official complaint after multiple games this year.

Advertisement
Nothing new to just this year. Watch the Nebraska game from 2015, AQM would've had 10 sacks or drawn a flag 10 times if the refs weren't biased.

I'm not one of those to normally spend too much time complaining about officials, but I agree about UNC.

When you actually see the holds from the stands, bearing in mind that the action happens so quickly and your eyes are focusing on multiple points, then you know it's pretty bad. Bear in mind that it's a lot easier to catch on TV where you can pause and replay. But there were several egregious ones at the UNC game.

The one I'll never forget, that was so clear people in the stands were screaming about it, was when we had, I believe it was a lineman, headed straight for Trubisky, and he literally got pulled down and tackled from behind. It was so clear and that play would have been a big loss for them.

How about this one? Skip ahead to 0:56.

[video=youtube;i5uyNGrpnVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5uyNGrpnVE[/video]

Advertisement
UNC and Clemson come to mind as the most egregious holders. I'm not inclined to believe in biased officials, but ****!

This is where Nick Sabag wins. He has an NFL-sized support staff, and I'm sure he has guys that he assigns to exactly this sort of thing.

Its about calling it when it happens. Its most effective in basketball. Watch Bill Self, coach K, Williams etc work the ref. Its almost sad how much they hammer on them all game but it works. They get the calls and or makeup calls when it counts.

Richt could prob do a better job of it himself but I honestly dont see him after many plays. I know he keeps it pretty calm and collected.

Advertisement
I don't recall too many years when our big-time DL weren't held on a regular basis.

That goes with playing DL at Miami....

Get it done.

Have been playing football and, more importantly, watching football like an outright nerd since I'm about 5 years old. I have never seen anything like what we saw from opposing teams holding our DL and LBs. I'm not talking the stuff that happens every play. I'm talking jerseys twisting across and guys being turned in circles from the outside of their pads.

Don't we have an intern or someone who can go through every defensive snap, collect all of these similar images - and there are MANY - and send them to the ACC? At the very least, awareness should be increased. I don't want our players to complain. Play through it to the best they can. I just want the calls to be made.

View attachment 41337

The refs missed some egregious holds this year. Some announcers would even call the holds out during the play they were so bad; and still no call.

Advertisement
It was surprising to see the holding calls we actually got in the bowl game. ACC officials rarely call holding on our opponents. Does anyone know what conference officiated the RAB?

How about this one? Skip ahead to 0:56.

[video=youtube;i5uyNGrpnVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5uyNGrpnVE[/video]

I remember like it was yesterday..It was on Corn right in front of the ref in the open field. I knew the fix was in.

Advertisement
Back