Hodges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
yeah they should stick to opioids that hand out like candy to deal with pain. we dont have a national issue or anything w pain pills
Oh now that's a completely different subject for a different day... all I'll say is you're DEFINITELY not wrong....however, the fact remains that if these guys want to get that $$$ then they have to play by the "rules" of those handing out the million dollar paychecks....it's that simple

Probably safe to assume it was a friends car so it’s a reasonable story. We all know if an adult, with a job owned the car, the NCAA would be camped out on campus investigating improper benefits.

2 concealed weapons and no charges? Gotta love the south. In New York he is getting a 2 year bid with no priors no questions asked.
NY is a s**t state. But you don’t even get arrested anymore. Yeah they take you in, but he would’ve walked out with a summons.

Advertisement
Not sure how true this is... a friend of mine has both.

Yep. My nephew has both too. He just can’t carry both at the same time. If you’re carrying you can’t have/use your med card and vice versa.

Advertisement
We've got pot stocks being traded in the markets and people still being arrested for low level possession. Strange times.
as someone who trades these stocks i never thought about it ****. thats facts right there lol

That could explain it.

Also, I think when you fill out a "concealed carry" permit, in Florida you don't have to specify a particular gun, but the instructions tell you that there are different regulations in different states, and that only certain guns can be concealed in certain other states. I think the press often confuses the "basic" registration of guns with the separate "concealed carry" requirements. In their defense, the 50 states have 50 different approaches, and it can be confusing.

My brother knows a lot more about this than I do, he hunts in multiple states and is frequently transporting his own personal guns outside of Florida. I have to confess, about 60 percent of what I know on this subject I learned from him.

he was pulled over bc his car had a sunscreen material. the **** is that? and the cop said hodges was displaying abnormal behavior. im glad miami dade isnt prosecuting weed bc this is all so ridiculous.

Thank goodness that Hodges didn't have a hanging air freshener, otherwise he would have been shot...

Advertisement
Also, I think when you fill out a "concealed carry" permit, in Florida you don't have to specify a particular gun, but the instructions tell you that there are different regulations in different states, and that only certain guns can be concealed in certain other states. I think the press often confuses the "basic" registration of guns with the separate "concealed carry" requirements. In their defense, the 50 states have 50 different approaches, and it can be confusing.

My brother knows a lot more about this than I do, he hunts in multiple states and is frequently transporting his own personal guns outside of Florida. I have to confess, about 60 percent of what I know on this subject I learned from him.
No, there is no registration requirement at all. For a concealed carry license, you only have to display proficiency at handling a firearm. I know people who had their license before they ever owned a firearm.

The details of reciprocity are on the FL Ag & Consmr Svcs web site.

Advertisement
The only issue in Florida is, can you purchase a firearm while having state legal medical marijuana. And that has to do with one question on a FEDERAL form. For example you can have a medical marijuana card, and not be a current user of medical marijuana, or you could have quit medical marijuana, in which case there is no doubt that you could purchase a firearm, because you can answer the question truthfully in saying that you do not use marijuana.

I’m not a lawyer, but that’s my interpretation of everything I’ve read about this issue.

And not only that, but Nikki Fried (apropos name) has stated unequivocally that you can have both cards. Neither your weed, nor your guns, will be taken from you, nor will you be in violation of Florida law. And right now, she’s the ultimate authority on this in the state of Florida unless somehow the state courts get involved or the state legislature.
She is actually has a concealed carry and a medical card herself. Everything you posted lines up with my understanding as well

No, there is no registration requirement at all. For a concealed carry license, you only have to display proficiency at handling a firearm. I know people who had their license before they ever owned a firearm.

The details of reciprocity are on the FL Ag & Consmr Svcs web site.

Definitely no gun registration requirement in Florida. For context, only about half a dozen states require firearms to be registered, and Maryland is probably the geographically closest state to Florida with a gun registry. But actually, Florida and a handful of other states go a step further and have enacted laws that make gun registrations illegal (it's actually a third degree felony to maintain a list/database of lawful gun owners in Florida under Section 790.335).

You are also correct regarding the requirements for a CWL. No firearm ownership required. You simply need to complete the application, which includes a questionnaire, fingerprints, background check, fee, and the requirement that you take an approved firearm safety class (pro tip: the FWC's hunter safety class counts, and it is free), which requires a live demonstration of proficiency with firearm (basically means you know how to safely load, fire, and unload a firearm). Remarkably easy so long as you aren't a convicted felon, wanted for a crime, or someone with a documented history of mental illness. Notably, the CWL application only asks about drug arrest/convictions and not drug use (hence my earlier discussion about Nikki Fried's public stance on possessing a CWL and medicinal marijuana card not being an issue under Florida law).

Technically, I don't think anyone is violating federal law either by merely being in possession of a CWL and medicinal marijuana card (unless the latter requires you to state that you are a user of marijuana). But when you purchase a firearm you are required to complete an ATF Firearm Transaction Form, which asks about unlawful drug use. And a few years ago, following several states changing their recreational and medicinal drug laws in 2016, the ATF revised the form to include bold lettering notifying the would-be purchaser that marijuana is still illegal pursuant to Federal law regardless of your state laws on marijuana, and that such use was considered "unlawful". It's silly, but it's the current state of the law.

This story is troubling and should be a wake-up call for Manny & program. Smoking weed is obviously not the issue.

So, Hodges gets pulled over and, according to the officer, he attempted to flee. Why? Regardless, not a good idea.

He's driving a car belonging to the sister of a friend. Ok. He has a license, but it's not with him. Not the end of the world, though raises minor question about maturity and accountability.

In the car is a loaded Glock - registered to someone else - as well as an unregistered gun in the glove compartment. So, attorney says Hodges is clueless about the guns. They're not his. That's great, but what does it say about the friends he hangs with?

He tells the cop of smoking weed in the car the night before with friends. Again, weed isn't the issue. Just a bad visual of a UM player hanging out, driving around in a car with friends and guns.

Maybe it's the times. Just a bad look. Hopefully, Hodges is a decent kid and no prior issues or Manny may need to set an example.

35CB5F01-724A-400F-A447-A1B46E27D38C.jpeg

Larry Hodges 🙏🏾

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back