Hmmm....could be something

Shaken-Vinaigrette.gif

shaky sauces brock

Advertisement
If Richt even interviews him for the DC job he should be fired. This would shown beyond unacceptable lack of judgment.

south carolina had a pretty good d till the recruiting became horrid. when they had players they had top 10 d's at sc. once players stopped going to south carolina they flamed out. spurrier's age and his luke warm recruiting hurt his team in end.

that said for most of spurrier's run at south carolina the d was the one calling card u could enjoy. the offense was dreadful most of his time there only reason he won 10 games was his d.

If Richt even interviews him for the DC job he should be fired. This would shown beyond unacceptable lack of judgment.

that is just i don't know idiotic. richt knows how to win and win in a big power 5 conference. if he thinks they guy would be a good dc i trust him. to say a guy should be fired before he ever coaches a game idiotic.

plus sc had good defense until last couple years when spurrier was mailing recruting in and other coaches used his age against him. when sc had players they were top 10 on d. it is only reason south carolina won 10 games. the offense at south carolina under spurrier was horrid in 90 pct of his seasons there.

Advertisement

that is just i don't know idiotic. richt knows how to win and win in a big power 5 conference. if he thinks they guy would be a good dc i trust him. to say a guy should be fired before he ever coaches a game idiotic.

plus sc had good defense until last couple years when spurrier was mailing recruting in and other coaches used his age against him. when sc had players they were top 10 on d. it is only reason south carolina won 10 games. the offense at south carolina under spurrier was horrid in 90 pct of his seasons there.

Ward wasn't the DC when South Carolina had good defenses, genius. Nice try though.

After Ellis Johnson left in 2011 Ward had two years coordinating good defenses. They were a top 15 defense in 2012. They were 12th in scoring defense and 19th in total defense in 2013.

They changed schemes to emphasize their LBs in 2014 after they lost Clowney and another DE. They've been bad since the scheme change. Not sure if they switched back when they brought in John Hoke to be the co-DC this past season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
SC fans seems to be pretty split down the middle on ward. There's the usual "he can't coach guys to tackle" contingent and then there's the "he can't stop anyone" crowd. One thing I picked up was that he had a liking to recruiting the Atlanta area

Been reading up on him:

- ran a base 4-2-5 until last year when he tried installing a 3-4 ostensibly to mask deficiencies on the DL and emphasize LB play
- likes to get pressure from the front 4, keep things simple and "downhill" although several articles refer to him as "blitz-happy" - Gamecock defense crazy for the blitz | The Greenville News | greenvilleonline.com
- Despite the wheels coming off in 2014, is still making $750k alongside Hoke (why? If he's that bad, why did spurrier retain him at all?)
- Very good recruiter - supposedly was the "closer" on Clowney and others (which may answer the above question...)
- FWIW the defense didn't get any better this year under Hoke - 91st in total D, dead last in the SEC in total D and run D

Also if this tweet does mean something it would also imply that Scott, Beard, and Baez are back...

Last edited:
FWIW, the decision to move more to a 3-4 was probably Hoke's call. From what I could glean, Hoke was the principal DC.

FWIW, the decision to move more to a 3-4 was probably Hoke's call. From what I could glean, Hoke was the principal DC.

I think it was all on Ward. He made the switch in 2014.

Texas A&M vs. South Carolina: The anatomy of a blowout - Garnet And Black Attack

South Carolina simply doesn't have the personnel to offer much hope that this situation will get better, especially if Lorenzo Ward intends to stick with the 3-4 front.

Spurrier brought Hoke in to help with change to the odd front after 2014 was a disaster ...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coach Richt has not made any hires so far and I have been reading that he is waiting until after the bowls so that the assistant that he is planning to bring in can get their bowl money. Therefore while I'm no expert or have any inside information, logic tells me that the DC that he is looking to hire is currently employed at another university and has not played in their bowl yet.

Based on that my logic Ward is probably not going to be our DC but I have been wrong in the past

After Ellis Johnson left in 2011 Ward had two years coordinating good defenses. They were a top 15 defense in 2012. They were 12th in scoring defense and 19th in total defense in 2013.

They changed schemes to emphasize their LBs in 2014 after they lost Clowney and another DE. They've been bad since the scheme change. Not sure if they switched back when they brought in John Hoke to be the co-DC this past season.

They did switch back after Hoke was brought on as co-DC. But still did not improve that much.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back