Highly Rated HS QBs attrition (according to The Athletic article)

I bet many QBs are overrated because their own teams are overwhelmingly more talented than their opponents. They get great blocking, they have superior skill positions, and superior coaching. They play a couple actual games throughout their entire high school career. All the stats are padded. I want to know how the HS records of bluechip recruits compares to NFL prospect/elite college QBs.

Advertisement
While it’s always optimal to get the best qb possible in each high school class, at this point, it almost seems like the more worse case scenario, or to just load up with 1-2 solid hs qbs every year and then simultaneously attack the portal, could almost be just as productive.
“MAUDE”

Tell Lebron James GIF

I bet many QBs are overrated because their own teams are overwhelmingly more talented than their opponents. They get great blocking, they have superior skill positions, and superior coaching. They play a couple actual games throughout their entire high school career. All the stats are padded. I want to know how the HS records of bluechip recruits compares to NFL prospect/elite college QBs.
What was Jalen hurts HS ranking?

Washington is getting ****ed by doing this. They went all in on Huard to get him to sign. Fenix comes back for one extra year and he bounces, along with their '23 commit flipping to OSU before signing day. Now they don't have **** for depth. 3 QB's on the roster
Which is why you need to sign a guy every year and if the other guys transfer out, so be it.

Advertisement
  • A star at Channelview in Texas, Hurts signed with Alabama out of high school as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback and No. 192 overall player in the 247Sports Composite. His impact was felt almost immediately.

9th or 10th out of QBs according to 247sports rating. #1 dual threat. (ssvir gave the composite ranking, that's why they are different, but there is not much of a difference)

Last edited:
Which is why I say QB’s are usually some of the most arrogant, self centered and ill informed young men you can ever recruit for the most part. They all want to be recruited like they’re Aaron Rodgers and none of them are. **** he wasn’t until he was. On top of that they only commit on top of each other and blame YOU for the reason they’re not seeing the playing field. top tier QB prospects can go anywhere and still be scouted just for their individual game
Disagree. There’s divas at every position. And if a guy says he’s not interested because the depth chart is too deep, he gets labeled as a soft guy who doesn’t want to compete. I have no problem with guys committing and competing for a starting job and transferring if they don’t win the job. There’s only one QB on the field.

Washington is getting ****ed by doing this. They went all in on Huard to get him to sign. Fenix comes back for one extra year and he bounces, along with their '23 commit flipping to OSU before signing day. Now they don't have **** for depth. 3 QB's on the roster
What’s our depth not recruiting QBs through the portal tho

Advertisement
Hard to get to the league as a QB that sits on the bench for 3 years. QB is a position we’re you need to get as much game time and put out as much positive film as you can.

You have got to get into the league ready to go. Many NFL teams are rolling with very young Qb’s.

Disagree. There’s divas at every position. And if a guy says he’s not interested because the depth chart is too deep, he gets labeled as a soft guy who doesn’t want to compete. I have no problem with guys committing and competing for a starting job and transferring if they don’t win the job. There’s only one QB on the field.
I’m only speaking my personal experience with recruiting I’m sure than can vary from person to person.

There’s no real evidence for that.

The best route is to land a bunch of QBs that rank as overall Top 50-ish recruits every year, and then let them battle it out. Some will leave and oh well.

But that basically guarantees you hit on the QB every year.

Anything else is not sustainable on a yearly basis.

Maybe that really is the best way, but who’s actually doing that? Maybe Alabama?

The elite programs are doing that. It’s difficult for sure. But so is the path to being elite. It’s not for everyone.

I’m not so sure elite programs or landing a bunch of top 50 quarterbacks every year. I’d like to see the statistics on that. Can you provide some proof of at least 10 teams a year doing that?

You don't have to look too far to see that's an exaggeration. Here's the top 5 recruiting classes this season and what they did at QB:

Bama just signed one of the best recruiting classes ever and didn't sign a HS QB ranked in the top 75, though they did sign the No. 89 (No. 10 QB) and No. 159 (No. 13 QB). They signed 5* QB Ty Simpson last year.

UGA didn't sign a HS QB at all this class. They signed one 4* QB last season (No. 124 overall and No. 7 QB).

UT signed the No. 1 QB and No. 1 overall prospect (Arch) and no other QB this class. Last year they only signed one HS QB and he was just outside top 175 players and the No. 12 QB overall.

Oklahoma signed a 5* QB this class (their only QB this class). Last year they signed Nick Evers (172 overall and No. 9 QB) and a no-star QB with a 6* name, General Booty.

OSU's lone HS QB commit this class was the No. 189 prospect and the No. 15 QB in the class. But they did have a top 50 overall 4* QB commit last season.

BONUS (because they ended up just ahead of UM)... LSU landed one HS QB this class and he's the No. 249 player overall and No. 17 QB. Last year they signed a highly rated 4* QB (No 40 overall and No. 5 QB).

So of the top 6 schools recruiting for 2023, literally none of them stacked top 50 overall QBs the last two recruiting classes. The closest was Alabama. They are the only school who signed 3 blue chip QBs and managed to get top 100 overall talent at QB in consecutive classes. None of the other schools even managed to sign top 150 overall QBs in the last two consecutive classes.

I’m not so sure elite programs or landing a bunch of top 50 quarterbacks every year. I’d like to see the statistics on that. Can you provide some proof of at least 10 teams a year doing that?
I agree.

And to him is it Top 50 overall prospects who are qbs? Or top 50 ranked qbs? In the first case maybe Ohio State and Bama only, at best?

And then the obvious answer is: well of course if you could land a top 50 prospect overall who is a qb every year, and not have too many retention issues then you would do it.

Advertisement
This class, kind of sucked at the QB position IMO. The only one I would've thrown everything but the kitchen sink at was Dante Moore. I'd rather go the portal route if you're going to put a lot of NIL on the spot unless you can get a guy that looks destined for the NFL. There's only a couple of those guys in a good class. Get one you can coach up, but don't spend a ton chasing most.

Exactly the point I've been making.

QB seems to the place we should be getting "free agents" rather than spending money and time to develop a HS QB.

5* guys from Texas/UGA/Bama/Clemson/OSU that lose out the starting job for whatever reason are prime targets.
This former 5 star OSU* QB agrees with your approach:

1675369388242.png

Advertisement
I would hate being a college coach in today's market. Would drive me crazy 🤪
NIL, transfer portal, etc. Not against these things, but the stress level on coaches must be through the roof. I know many coordinators and HCs make lots of 💸💸💸, but still, I couldn't do it.
Much more stressful jobs in life and don’t pay anywhere what these coaches make.

You’re paid 8 million a year for a reason.

Advertisement
Back