High School Football Coaches Leaving Florida

Big time coaches in Georgia at places like Grayson, Norcross, Buford, Colquitt, etc. are making at least $75k and some up to $100k to only coach football.

And they're living in 4-5 bedroom houses with a couple acres that cost $400-450k. Down here they're getting a condo or something run down for that and they're making $55k while having to teach or work for the school system.

Georgia has always had better coaches than South Florida as a whole. Luckily, everyone isn't in it for the money and some guys, the ones that matter, in Dade/Broward are never leaving this area.

Advertisement
I work in a blue collar industry and it’s the same. People are leaving in droves because they he pay is crap and the costs are ridiculous. It’s only going to hurt the people who live here because the guys staying are all raising the prices. It’s going to cost you $200 for an oil change and $150 for someone to cut your yard soon.
Not soon, today.

Let's talk car insurance. Why exactly did mine double over the last 2 years? The cars didn't change.

You had any of these?

64f8bbcfd6847-image.jpg

Advertisement
Don't believe what you hear. Board voted down the increase in Broward. A first year teacher makes maybe 10k less than a 25 year vet.

They increase starting pay only. Suck them in.

They have been accepting the 1.5-2% raises these past few years.
In OCPS I was told they did give a 5% increase, and just charge the teachers more for insurance now so it's net gain 0.

In NC I'm making 20K more than I would in OCPS. My stipend as OC when I was still coaching HSFB was 3x what I made as a HC in FL + booster club bonus cash 3x a year.

In Oregon I immediately jumped 20K in pay and doubled my stipend, both roles were a demotion.

An article in The Palm Beach Post reveals that Florida high school football coaches are leaving for Georgia. Reasons being better pay and lower living expenses. You wonder why the quality of football and the quantity of quality players have improved in Georgia in recent years. Florida is lagging.

This has been a problem for awhile and it's not good. This creates a void in quality coaches and creates an industry of the 7v7 coaches who have their hand out for money, willing to send "their" players to certain schools who supplement their salaries (putting it nicely).

Advertisement
The coaching stipend, even for a head coach, is tiny and doesn’t do much to supplement already weak teacher pay. The cost of living here has exploded to the point where it’s just not worth it for anyone who isn’t making at least 100k. Considering the median teacher makes around 55k and the coaching money is like 4k. It’s no surprise that people are fleeing to states where you get paid better and live cheaper.

Never understood how floridians got away with paying teachers so poorly.

Up here teachers earn well over six figures, coupled with a strong union, and amazing benefits.

Down there, you get paid dog **** with a fraction of the benefits.

Makes sense why they are leaving. Hopefully more follow.

Up here teachers earn well over six figures, coupled with a strong union, and amazing benefits.

No strike state

Advertisement
Let's talk car insurance. Why exactly did mine double over the last 2 years? The cars didn't change.
Let’s talk home owner and renters insurance as well as public parking..the lots ain’t get any less tighter and I still paid $20 to park down west palm for Easter brunch..used to get away with giving a guy a loosey & you were good..as for your insurance, your *** can’t drive is what they’re telling you 😂

I’m in the process of making a move in the next few years hopefully

I work at a power equipment dealership. You’re not the only one who’s told me that recently.
I’ve already got more work than myself or my crew can handle. Got the office guy in the field one day. My options are hire another part time guy or raise rates and trim the fat. Seems like an easy choice ya know?

Advertisement
Here in Alabama coaches are getting to 25 years and retire from the state then head to florida or georgia to double dip. If you start teaching and coaching at 25 you could have retired by the time you're 49. They changed it up so you have to teach longer but guys are who were under the old system are getting out of here

Let’s talk home owner and renters insurance as well as public parking..the lots ain’t get any less tighter and I still paid $20 to park down west palm for Easter brunch..used to get away with giving a guy a loosey & you were good..as for your insurance, your *** can’t drive is what they’re telling you 😂
My homeowner's hasn't changed. I haven't use paid parking in some time, but I understand you don't put coins in the meters any more.

I haven't had any accidents or tickets in at least 10 years, nor has anyone else in my house. We're driving Toyotas, not Lexuses.

Hard to be the best football coach I can be when I'm also teaching AP classes and serving as the dean while being told I have to coach track or whatever too. And all for $3K in stipends and limited PD/CEU opportunities.
Think its bad for football, try being a high school baseball coach. Unless you get a summer gig with a good organization and/or offer lessons (with an outlet to do such) it can be a real struggle for those guys

Advertisement
Back