High School Football Coaches Leaving Florida

Advertisement
There are some organizations big enough to do that. And it costs each player at least $3500 to $4k to play with them.
You should see the buy-in fee for hockey players up here. $10K+ just to join the team. Doesn't include travel or equipment. S&C only covers in-season so they pay extra for summer S&C, summer skill work too

Without making this into a political discussion, we’ll just say that Florida used to be a cheap place to live. Salaries across the board (not just teachers) have always been on the lower end but the relatively low cost of living and taxes made up for the lesser salaries. Housing prices went through the roof along with insurance and pretty much everything else here over the last decade or so. Meanwhile, businesses and municipalities got used to paying low wages and wage growth is nowhere near where it needs to be for people to be able to stay.

I'm well aware of this.

Despite these factors, I am still floored that someone would get a masters degree to make that type of salary. This is obviously more true now than ever before.

I can't think of another profession that the drop off is that low. Not in le, nursing, law, etc. Just teaching.

Correct me if i am mistaken, but amongst professionals, it seems like it's always been a ****** deal down there.

Advertisement
I'm well aware of this.

Despite these factors, I am still floored that someone would get a masters degree to make that type of salary. This is obviously more true now than ever before.

I can't think of another profession that the drop off is that low. Not in le, nursing, law, etc. Just teaching.

Correct me if i am mistaken, but amongst professionals, it seems like it's always been a ****** deal down there.
Social work.

You should see the buy-in fee for hockey players up here. $10K+ just to join the team. Doesn't include travel or equipment. S&C only covers in-season so they pay extra for summer S&C, summer skill work too
Insane. I would say you get close to if not a little above that number for an 'active' Summer and Fall as a potential college baseball prospect.

Between Summer team costs
Equipment
Travel costs
Showcase event costs
Private lessons

I would say its close, but $10k just to play is crazy

I work in a blue collar industry and it’s the same. People are leaving in droves because they he pay is crap and the costs are ridiculous. It’s only going to hurt the people who live here because the guys staying are all raising the prices. It’s going to cost you $200 for an oil change and $150 for someone to cut your yard soon.
Yea I remember when an oil change was in the $20-$40 range. The last time I got mine changed the dude told me it was like $130 and I looked at him like he lost his mind.

An article in The Palm Beach Post reveals that Florida high school football coaches are leaving for Georgia. Reasons being better pay and lower living expenses. You wonder why the quality of football and the quantity of quality players have improved in Georgia in recent years. Florida is lagging.
It's been going on for years.

Advertisement
I'm well aware of this.

Before Florida got over priced, it wasn’t a bad deal for teachers. You didn’t need to make 6 figures to live here. You could live fairly comfortably. If you had a master’s there was a reasonable pay bump and you could also get into administration which pays well. My mom was a career educator who eventually became a principal and the n worked for the school board before retiring. Why anyone would be a teacher in Florida now? No idea. It’s a no win situation and the state pretty much wants to do away with your position and replace you with private/charter school teachers who make even less than public school teachers.

Yea I remember when an oil change was in the $20-$40 range. The last time I got mine changed the dude told me it was like $130 and I looked at him like he lost his mind.
Part of it is just the cost of parts and oil. I do my own oil changes and it costs me like $50 for 7 quarts and a filter. I use cheap oil because I change it often.

Quick change places can get away with hiring cheap techs because they don’t really do repairs but if you’re going to an actual repair shop, the guy doing the work is likely commanding a minimum of $25 an hour. Most likely a lot more

Depends. Some guys aren't leaving family.

I know there's a newer school in Georgia that pursued a couple south florida coaches and wasn't successful for that reason despite offering $80k per year. I think they ended up with someone from the Tampa or Orlando area.
For the difference in your cost of living you can move them with you

Where to?
was about to say.

This sh*t is overpopulated and every week they are building more apartment complexes...they must be losing it to home schooling for yall lazy *** soccer mom wives who dont want to drive them or wake up since covid and have their kids on virtual school. So they can wake up at 1230pm then go to the gym and starbucks..b4 yall come home from work

Advertisement
I got paid $2,000 this season to give up 10 PPG.

What makes it sting even more is that we beat a Georgia state champ who's staff probably gets paid $200k collectively and had iPads and big screen TV's on their sideline. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Matter of fact, I'm 3-0 versus Georgia teams. I've also beaten Buford and Westlake, both of which easily have $150k staffs.

And we did it with less resources, volunteer position coaches, garbage facilities, ****ty equipment, no school support, in some cases no booster club, etc etc etc.

Milton has THIRTEEN coaches working on their campus. We (Western) have THREE. (google their facilities by the way)

People talk **** about Florida coaching, and it definitely is trash in many cases, but the quality programs down here are doing more with less. Georgia and Texas coaches would pull their hair out if they had to deal with half the **** we do.

I've got maybe 1 to 2 more years in this ****hole.

Part of it is just the cost of parts and oil. I do my own oil changes and it costs me like $50 for 7 quarts and a filter. I use cheap oil because I change it often.

Quick change places can get away with hiring cheap techs because they don’t really do repairs but if you’re going to an actual repair shop, the guy doing the work is likely commanding a minimum of $25 an hour. Most likely a lot more
I take my truck to the dealership for an oil change at $200+. But, I'm not giving Stellantis an excuse to deny a warranty claim on a $25K Hellcat engine.

20240403_174533.jpg
EtAExuaXIAYfv-i.jpg

Advertisement
Do you have to have a teacher certification to coach in Florida now? Years ago that wasn’t the case.

Teachers don’t make what they are worth. Coaches don’t want to teach, however students have to pass to play.

Advertisement
Back