High School Football Coaches Leaving Florida

I got paid $2,000 this season to give up 10 PPG.

What makes it sting even more is that we beat a Georgia state champ who's staff probably gets paid $200k collectively and had iPads and big screen TV's on their sideline. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Matter of fact, I'm 3-0 versus Georgia teams. I've also beaten Buford and Westlake, both of which easily have $150k staffs.

And we did it with less resources, volunteer position coaches, garbage facilities, ****ty equipment, no school support, in some cases no booster club, etc etc etc.

Milton has THIRTEEN coaches working on their campus. We (Western) have THREE. (google their facilities by the way)

People talk **** about Florida coaching, and it definitely is trash in many cases, but the quality programs down here are doing more with less. Georgia and Texas coaches would pull their hair out if they had to deal with half the **** we do.

I've got maybe 1 to 2 more years in this ****hole.
Them wings and chongas arent going anywhere......who u foolin mah dawg..u aint going NOWHERE

Advertisement
I take my truck to the dealership for an oil change at $200+. But, I'm not giving Stellantis an excuse to deny a warranty claim on a $25K Hellcat engine.
Oh for sure. I tell people all the time once your vehicle is out of warranty, never take it to the dealership again unless it’s a recall. Dealers not only charge the most, they’re also the most likely to hire and train rookie techs. Never take your car, boat, whatever to a repair shop where the owners aren’t actually turning wrenches. You’re just paying for overhead at that point.

Do you have to have a teacher certification to coach in Florida now? Years ago that wasn’t the case.

Teachers don’t make what they are worth. Coaches don’t want to teach, however students have to pass to play.
You need to be certified to be a head coach.

Highest paying jobs in FL are in the panhandle. They lump the HC as the AD in order to pay more.

It is impossible to run a good program and it not be a year round program. So the time with the money really makes its like a $1/hr

Big time coaches in Georgia at places like Grayson, Norcross, Buford, Colquitt, etc. are making at least $75k and some up to $100k to only coach football.

And they're living in 4-5 bedroom houses with a couple acres that cost $400-450k. Down here they're getting a condo or something run down for that and they're making $55k while having to teach or work for the school system.

Georgia has always had better coaches than South Florida as a whole. Luckily, everyone isn't in it for the money and some guys, the ones that matter, in Dade/Broward are never leaving this area.
Not sure where you're living in a 4-5 bedroom house on acreage for $400k in GA, definitely not in the Metro Atlanta area.

Advertisement
Not sure where you're living in a 4-5 bedroom house on acreage for $400k in GA, definitely not in the Metro Atlanta area.
Adam Carter, the current HC at Valdosta Lowndes, used to be at Grayson and he lived in Monroe - 20 minutes from the school. The current HC at Walnut Grove lives there as well. Easy to find new construction on 2+ acres for $400-450k with 4-5 beds. The HC at Gainesville has a similar setup and you get a lot there for around that price.

Monroe was my reference because Grayson was sniffing around some Florida HS football coaches in 2023 before hiring a former assistant coach. Obviously not metro Atlanta or even the suburbs but the programs a little further out like those 3 programs.

Adam Carter, the current HC at Valdosta Lowndes, used to be at Grayson and he lived in Monroe - 20 minutes from the school. The current HC at Walnut Grove lives there as well. Easy to find new construction on 2+ acres for $400-450k with 4-5 beds. The HC at Gainesville has a similar setup and you get a lot there for around that price.

Monroe was my reference because Grayson was sniffing around some Florida HS football coaches in 2023 before hiring a former assistant coach. Obviously not metro Atlanta or even the suburbs but the programs a little further out like those 3 programs.
A close friend of mine has a Beautiful 4 bedroom house in Guyton (just outside of Savanah) in the $450,000 range.

Crazy to think the coaches down in FL are getting railroaded in terms of pay and having to teach classes on top of it and still not making over 100k in most cases. Meanwhile, Texas high school coaches are making well over 100k while being able to solely focus on football. My uncle lived down in TX and was friends with the HC at Carthage, said he was taking home close to $200k just to be the HC.

The private school coaches do pretty well though but there’s only a handful of positions between Dade and Broward. STA pays coordinators more than most full time teachers make and they only coach football

Advertisement
I got paid $2,000 this season to give up 10 PPG.

What makes it sting even more is that we beat a Georgia state champ who's staff probably gets paid $200k collectively and had iPads and big screen TV's on their sideline. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Matter of fact, I'm 3-0 versus Georgia teams. I've also beaten Buford and Westlake, both of which easily have $150k staffs.

And we did it with less resources, volunteer position coaches, garbage facilities, ****ty equipment, no school support, in some cases no booster club, etc etc etc.

Milton has THIRTEEN coaches working on their campus. We (Western) have THREE. (google their facilities by the way)

People talk **** about Florida coaching, and it definitely is trash in many cases, but the quality programs down here are doing more with less. Georgia and Texas coaches would pull their hair out if they had to deal with half the **** we do.

I've got maybe 1 to 2 more years in this ****hole.
I work in Baldwin County, Alabama. I get paid a bit more as a teacher here than Orlando. I left Orlando during Covid and relocated here. I live in a beautiful area with solid schools, communities that want to be successful at everything and I have an awesome house.

Alabama pays more... City school systems pay even more.

If you teach Math or Science you work 2 extra days a year and teach TEAMS --- it pays an extra 15-20k.
I am getting my Masters which will bump my pay 10k. I also drive a bus for 45 minutes before and after school -- $17k.

The head football coaches make $100k if they have a Masters. They also make money from the city youth leagues and from the booster clubs.
Football coaches do very well.

Gulf Shores and Orange Beach broke off from Baldwin in they pay huge money. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are probably paying their HC and Coordinators $300k to only coach football.. HC $150k plus and Coordinators are $100k. Gulf shores apparently pays a $35k stipend to their Middle school HC. Football is big time here. Shoot Orange Beach just stole Hoover's HC.

I have a relative who lives in a Kendall condo. Her monthly HOA went from 300 to over 800 dollars.
It's a decent condo with pool and other amenities but, really?
She's retired with health issues so she is not in a good place.
I'm not justifying the $500 increase, but I know that a portion of it is due to the recently passed Florida Condo Inspection Bill.

I'm not justifying the $500 increase, but I know that a portion of it is due to the recently passed Florida Condo Inspection Bill.

Understood.
The bill is going to cost home and condo owners money and with these particular condos there is major infrastructure that needs to be upgraded including water and sewage stuff....but it doesn't help when the folks responsible for managing HOA budget are not able to account for "missing" money.

Advertisement
Understood.
The bill is going to cost home and condo owners money and with these particular condos there is major infrastructure that needs to be upgraded including water and sewage stuff....but it doesn't help when the folks responsible for managing HOA budget are not able to account for "missing" money.
Welcome to south Florida. Lax building codes and lax inspections led to dangerous structures that need lots repairs but the HOA has either been under charging for decades or they’ve been skimming off the top for decades. It’s almost like everyone here is some kind of crook.

Valdosta HS gives you the house and truck along with your salary.

I live in Raleigh, $270K house it's a 3/2.5 with a finished basement and a pool w/ a nice yard across from a park. I make 20K more than I would in Orlando where that would cost me what $800+?

Advertisement
Without making this into a political discussion, we’ll just say that Florida used to be a cheap place to live. Salaries across the board (not just teachers) have always been on the lower end but the relatively low cost of living and taxes made up for the lesser salaries. Housing prices went through the roof along with insurance and pretty much everything else here over the last decade or so. Meanwhile, businesses and municipalities got used to paying low wages and wage growth is nowhere near where it needs to be for people to be able to stay.
In addition and making it worse is the fact that Florida is a “right to work state” where labor unionization is heavily disfavored. Your employer can fire you with or without any reason, excepting discriminatory reasons. No union to fight for you and lawyering-up is expensive. Sadly too, there are no compliance rules for employers as enforcement mechanism against discrimination.

What boosters?
In a sense I am part of the problem.

Heritage is a mile away, but they actually have boosters and involved parents and administration.

Plantation High is alsonright close by and I could get involved, but I haven't followed HS football the way i used to.

The constant work and goal of retirement have taken priority over everything.

Advertisement
Back