Hester AND Andre Johnson HOF’ers!

Advertisement
I thought they were gonna make Hester wait longer. It's wild to me that Torry Holt and Antonio Gates aren't in.
Antonio Gates has scored more points than every other Tight End to ever play the game. He is third in receptions all time. He will get in next year for sure. They just didn’t want to make him a first ballot HOF. In my opinion, they should have put him in this year.

With Jimmy Graham and Greg Olson both in top ten for receptions/TDs, does either have a chance to get in? Jimmy is fourth all time in scoring for TEs.

Advertisement
With Jimmy Graham and Greg Olson both in top ten for receptions/TDs, does either have a chance to get in? Jimmy is fourth all time in scoring for TEs.
At their positions they are absolutely in the conversation. In terms of the other guys who are close I think they're borderline there. Overall, they're more deserving than say a Ricky Watters, but might be waiting a while like Eric Allen.

At their positions they are absolutely in the conversation. In terms of the other guys who are close I think they're borderline there. Overall, they're more deserving than say a Ricky Watters, but might be waiting a while like Eric Allen.
I could see them both getting in, but it may take 30 years like Steve McMichael. Even though this shouldn’t matter, a long and prosperous broadcasting career could potentially help Olson’s player bid as well.

Antonio Gates has scored more points than every other Tight End to ever play the game. He is third in receptions all time. He will get in next year for sure. They just didn’t want to make him a first ballot HOF. In my opinion, they should have put him in this year.

It’s a tough call. Graham has a much better case imo. There was a legitimate three-four year run where you had to seriously consider him as the best TE in the game.

The amount of good TEs coming available for induction soon could be a deterrent too.

Well Done Reaction GIF

Love to see it 🙌

Advertisement
It’s a tough call. Graham has a much better case imo. There was a legitimate three-four year run where you had to seriously consider him as the best TE in the game.

The amount of good TEs coming available for induction soon could be a deterrent too.
That’s a good point. This is why I think it may take awhile. They should also be rewarded for the longevity of their careers as they were both good to great producers for a long time. This is rare for the TE position, even with the newer inflated numbers. I think their numbers will become more impressive as time passes. Both of them also produced in multiple systems with different teams.

You are right though, one quality I personally think is important for HOF induction is “were you the best player at your position in the league?” Olson never was that, but not everyone in the Hall was either.

Man his rookie year was just incredible - And he had his return TD in the Divisional Round of playoffs called back!
Then in 2007 he had a KR called back against Chiefs (would have been his 2nd of game).

God its so fun watching Hester in 06/07...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hesters Rookie year Cardinals up 23-3 with like 5secs left in the 3rd on Bears on Monday Night Football. Bears come back and are down 23-17 with like 3:15 left. Cards punt to Hester and he returns it for a TD to take the lead and win the game.

... Dennis Green goes on to give his iconic "they are who we thought they were....if you wanna crown them then crown them then crown their ***, they are who we thought they were, and we let them off the hook"

Dude just showed up in the big moments as a rookie. TD in his first game. To win the game against Cards. 2 Returns in Playoffs (one called back), including opening kick in SB...

GREAT STORY!!!

It’s official! I am old! It seems like yesterday that I was reading about this WR commit to UM in 1999 named Andre Johnson from Miami High nicknamed “The Specimen” who said high school football was too easy.

I remember him getting in the FSU game in 2000. Dorsey tried to hit him on a go route up the left sideline but the timing just wasn’t there and Dre wasn’t ready yet. Then watched #5 dominate in 2001 and 2002. Back then we really didn’t realize just how spoiled we were. Just imagine having a WR duo like Reggie Wayne and Santana Moss then following that up with Andre Johnson. Since then, we have had some very good receivers with Leonard Hankerson, Stacey Coley, Ahmmon Richards, Mike Harley, Travis Benjamin, Allen Hurns, Phillip Dorset and Xavier Restrepo coming to mind. Since Andre Johnson however we have not had anyone come close to being the type of impactful and flat out dominant player that Dre was for us. For those looking at the all time leading WR in yards and receptions you must realize that Dre did what he did in 2 years as opposed to many at the top end of those lists compiling their stats in 3 or 4 seasons. Andre’s redshirt freshman year in 2000 was a nothing burger as he barely saw the field with Reggie and Santana being seniors. Also IIRC Andre’s 19.9 yards per reception still ranks #1 among Miami WRs.

Advertisement
It’s official! I am old! It seems like yesterday that I was reading about this WR commit to UM in 1999 named Andre Johnson from Miami High nicknamed “The Specimen” who said high school football was too easy.

I remember him getting in the FSU game in 2000. Dorsey tried to hit him on a go route up the left sideline but the timing just wasn’t there and Dre wasn’t ready yet. Then watched #5 dominate in 2001 and 2002. Back then we really didn’t realize just how spoiled we were. Just imagine having a WR duo like Reggie Wayne and Santana Moss then following that up with Andre Johnson. Since then, we have had some very good receivers with Leonard Hankerson, Stacey Coley, Ahmmon Richards, Mike Harley, Travis Benjamin, Allen Hurns, Phillip Dorset and Xavier Restrepo coming to mind. Since Andre Johnson however we have not had anyone come close to being the type of impactful and flat out dominant player that Dre was for us. For those looking at the all time leading WR in yards and receptions you must realize that Dre did what he did in 2 years as opposed to many at the top end of those lists compiling their stats in 3 or 4 seasons. Andre’s redshirt freshman year in 2000 was a nothing burger as he barely saw the field with Reggie and Santana being seniors. Also IIRC Andre’s 19.9 yards per reception still ranks #1 among Miami WRs.
Yep. I remember him signing with us as well. Good times man.

Advertisement
Back