Herman and Houston

First and foremost, Mark Richt is a "good" coach; let's see what he does in a new situation before claiming him as the best option. I will also say pump the brakes on Herman at least for now, but let's not downplay the fact that he has transformed an average team into one of the better squads in the nation. They're playing toe-to-toe with the #3 team in the nation right now with inferior talent.

Not being adversarial here but i'm just wondering what the definition of your "good" is.
Maybe it's better than my "good", which is a top 20-30 coach.
I don't know how you can have him out of your top 10-15.

There's at least five great/elite coaches:
1. Urban Meyer
2. Nick Saban
3. David Shaw
4. Jim Harbaugh
5. Gary Patterson

6-25 are "good" coaches imo.

OK got it.
Then I would agree with you.
I have a "Very good" designation for those guys your 6-20 "good" range.

We can agree on that. Fans throw the term "great coach" around too loosely.

Advertisement
That attacking and penetrating defense was great by the Cougars I believe our defense will do the same now they are unchained.

That dude can flat out coach. Houston picking right up where they left off last year. We should have thrown the ball at him.

Yep. We should also have gone after Bear Bryant, no? And while at it, perhaps Knute Rockne, ya?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Houston is slowly becoming the next Miami. Big city school, finally found a coach with momentum building, school making a financial commitment and recruiting local kids.

The biggest difference is that Howard did it with minimal budgets and an indifferent administration.

You're comparing a glorified community college with UM?

lol. Non-alum "fans" never cease to amaze me

Herman gets a $5M bonus (according to their AD) when/if Houston joins the Big 12.

He likely won't leave unless joining the Big 12 falls through.

Houston is slowly becoming the next Miami. Big city school, finally found a coach with momentum building, school making a financial commitment and recruiting local kids.

The biggest difference is that Howard did it with minimal budgets and an indifferent administration.

You're comparing a glorified community college with UM?

lol. Non-alum "fans" never cease to amaze me

Drop dead. Dont got to go to UM to be a fan.

First and foremost, Mark Richt is a "good" coach; let's see what he does in a new situation before claiming him as the best option. I will also say pump the brakes on Herman at least for now, but let's not downplay the fact that he has transformed an average team into one of the better squads in the nation. They're playing toe-to-toe with the #3 team in the nation right now with inferior talent.

Not being adversarial here but i'm just wondering what the definition of your "good" is.
Maybe it's better than my "good", which is a top 20-30 coach.
I don't know how you can have him out of your top 10-15.

There's at least five great/elite coaches:
1. Urban Meyer
2. Nick Saban
3. David Shaw
4. Jim Harbaugh
5. Gary Patterson

6-25 are "good" coaches imo.

The only elite coaches are Saban and Meyer. They both have multiple rings to prove it.

Harbaugh will eventually get his ring but will have to get through Meyer. Fun TV.
Patterson may never will win a NC but is a great coach. Oh, what could have been had Paul Dee been able to hire Patterson...
Shaw is a very good coach but Harbaugh left Stanford in great shape. To his credit, Shaw has maintained the standard. Stanford is fortunate, Shaw appears to be a lifer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back