Here's why I'm team TVD at the moment

Please don't take sides on the QB competition. Having an opinion is one thing but referring to it as "teams" means that you cannot change sides when the real data starts rolling in.

#MakeModeratorsLivesEasier
Mods are some of the biggest trolls on the board… so you may have deal with the QB dogfight…

Advertisement
He can move in the pocket. In high school TVD was the more mobile QB between him and Garcia. Go watch TVD high school film. Tons of plays of him avoiding the rush and throwing on the run
This is real simple. If TVD can show adequate pocket awareness, getting out of trouble and throwing on the run, then he could be lethal. We'll see.

Advertisement
Hopefully it won't become another Clement - Covington situation.... where Covington was clearly the better QB but Clement played because of being able to take hits behind the OL...

I like both of our young QB's and think we can win with either, but until proven otherwise, here's why I think he's our best option as QB (even including King)....

From another site: "The best way to characterize Van Dyke’s performance? Highly efficient as a ball distributor. On his pass attempts, Van Dyke got the ball out at an average time of 1.91 seconds, which was second fastest in the country in week four amongst quarterbacks with at least five drop-backs."

Get the ball out quickly and distribute it to our playmakers sounds good to me. He doesn't have to be the fastest scrambler to be effective with a not-so-great OL. Get the ball out of his hands and into the mits of our playmakers will make all the difference.

Now, this was against a glorified HS team, so we'll see what happens when he goes up against a well-coached hardnosed team with some athletes, but if he can make quick decisions, not take too many sacks (I know he got put down twice) and get it to those fast freshmen, he's going to be just fine.

All of our NC's came from our QB's distributing the ball. My all time fave QB is Steve Walsh because he was (along with Bernie and Dorsey) a VERY smart QB. If Steve had TVD's arm talent, he would've played as a starter in the league for a long time. Anyway, the point is let's have QB's who get the ball to the playmakers and not take the place of the playmakers. Garcia and TVD seem to fit that bill and TVD seems less prone to mistakes (knock on wood).

We'll know more this Thursday...
Its easy to get the ball out at 1.91 seconds when you throw less than 5 yards down the field. That goes for both of them. I didnt understand why Lashlee wasnt calling normal plays so both QBs could get used to throwing the ball around. Not 12 bubble screens.

Its easy to get the ball out at 1.91 seconds when you throw less than 5 yards down the field. That goes for both of them. I didnt understand why Lashlee wasnt calling normal plays so both QBs could get used to throwing the ball around. Not 12 bubble screens.
Good point. As has been mentioned already earlier in the thread, UVA is well-coached, will have watched the tape and will shut it down, so Rhett needs to anticipate that and mix it up.

Advertisement
Good point. As has been mentioned already earlier in the thread, UVA is well-coached, will have watched the tape and will shut it down, so Rhett needs to anticipate that and mix it up.
Which is why I dont understand why they werent calling the nromal offense yesterday. I mean it was Central Conn for gods sake. Now those guys have no experience and against real teams those stupid that they ran yesterday arent going to work

Nobody really knows sh*t. We will certainly know soon enough. Anything at this point is a race to be “right.” This sh*t gonna get settled on the field of battle.

Which is why I dont understand why they werent calling the nromal offense yesterday. I mean it was Central Conn for gods sake. Now those guys have no experience and against real teams those stupid that they ran yesterday arent going to work
It's a compelling question. Last year, while everyone else was slobbering over Lashlee, I was happier with his O than the previous guy, but I thought his game day playcalling sucked. This year? Lashlee, with a veteran team and access to more young talent and speed, seems to have regressed and again, I wasn't overly happy with him last year.

It's clear that even if Diaz somehow survives this season (please no!!!), he has to find a new play caller, because Lashlee isn't getting better, he's getting worse.

Side note, im a little bothered by how invested Jake’s parents are into him playing. I love that they care and they support. Nothing against that at all.

But part of me feels that if Jake’s dad doesn’t like the QB situation he will pull the cord on us and i would hate that. I really like our QB room having both of them.

I think it's unnecessary worry on your part, it's just the way parents are. You're there as a parent to look after yours and if a better situation presents itself (playing time elsewhere if you aren't getting it here) then you weigh it. It's still your kids decision and I'm a big proponent of putting in work and your time will come.

I don't think his father has done anything to suggest that he's a controlling helicopter parent more so than any other. Maybe I missed something, but I don't know them like that.

Advertisement
Bottom line is it’s a great problem to have both of them in our QB room. Let it play out and the best one be QB1.

TVD makes NFL throws. It’s not his fault people don’t recognize that.

exactly.

it's like Lance Roffers said. there are people that understand the game, and there are the tv watchers and stat readers.

TVD has made NFL throws that he put on tape. both in the spring game and yesterday.

as someone who has played and coached the QB position at the college level, hearing people mouth off who don't have a clue what they are talking about, makes me want to c*nt punt them out of the room.

I am going to trust DVD before Garcia until he proves me wrong. Kid looked in control of the offense. Albeit against subpar athletes. That said, Virginia has had a special place in my heart since 48-0. Fruck Virginia. Go Canes!

Advertisement
You can't use a general stat like that without its context. I'm not team TVD or Garcia at the moment (based on evidence, though I speculate Garcia gives us a better chance to win important games), but you have to look at the actual playcall. On at least 3 of his big throws, TVD was schemed for an immediate throw or toss. The stat means very little without similar playcalls and situations.
100%

I took a ride to State College saturday to hang out with a few friends for the Penn State game. Clifford put up crazy stats in the box score but his actual play was not good......at times, it was awful.

The first throw (first play) of the game was beautiful - 52 yard TD to Dotson. After that, it was not pretty. He got lucky with shorter throws that Lambert-Smith (83 yards) and Parker Washington (67 yards) took to the house. He missed wide open receivers bc he locked on to others, took bad sacks bc he wouldn't throw the ball BEFORE a receiver clears (rarely throws them open) and made horrible zone reads in the run game. On paper you would think there's no way but i had a perfect endzone view for most of it, so i saw the all-22 film live.

I couldn't watch the Canes game so i am curious to see these 2 QBs play against a real team and see what they are made of.

Side note, im a little bothered by how invested Jake’s parents are into him playing. I love that they care and they support. Nothing against that at all.

But part of me feels that if Jake’s dad doesn’t like the QB situation he will pull the cord on us and i would hate that. I really like our QB room having both of them.
Ha . . . out of curiosity, I started watching "Titletown High" yesterday (I can do w/o all the high school drama stuff) and came away with the same impression.

Edit: For those that do not know, his parents got "legally separated" so he could play ball. The devotion is insane but that can cut both ways.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back