Here's why I'm team TVD at the moment

Why do you say that? He's 6'4 220 with a big arm and is incredibly intelligent. The physical and mental traits are there.
When I watch TVD I don’t see a big arm.

Not saying his arm is weak but when I think of strong arm QBs I think of Mahomes and Josh Allen type throws and TVD hasn’t put anything like that on tape.

Advertisement
Good luck to them both and may the best win.

I believe Garcia will surpass him one day, but we'll see.

I genuinely had fun watching them both play yesterday and wouldn't even mind if they kept splitting reps fairly evenly. You gotta see how both do against real teams and with live bullets. One will separate eventually.

Disclaimer, I'm not a fan of split reps most of the time. If it's close though, what do we have to lose?

When I watch TVD I don’t see a big arm.

Not saying his arm is weak but when I think of strong arm QBs I think of Mahomes and Josh Allen type throws and TVD hasn’t put anything like that on tape.
all you’re really saying is you don’t know what you’re looking for. He’s routinely now made the far hash out route throw that you indeed need a big arm to even try let alone complete with anticipation. I understand falling in love with Garcia’s mentality.. but those throws demonstrate arm strength 100%

all you’re really saying is you don’t know what you’re looking for. He’s routinely now made the far hash out route throw that you indeed need a big arm to even try let alone complete with anticipation. I understand falling in love with Garcia’s mentality.. but those throws demonstrate arm strength 100%
TVD makes NFL throws. It’s not his fault people don’t recognize that.

Advertisement
I like both of our young QB's and think we can win with either, but until proven otherwise, here's why I think he's our best option as QB (even including King)....

From another site: "The best way to characterize Van Dyke’s performance? Highly efficient as a ball distributor. On his pass attempts, Van Dyke got the ball out at an average time of 1.91 seconds, which was second fastest in the country in week four amongst quarterbacks with at least five drop-backs."

Get the ball out quickly and distribute it to our playmakers sounds good to me. He doesn't have to be the fastest scrambler to be effective with a not-so-great OL. Get the ball out of his hands and into the mits of our playmakers will make all the difference.

Now, this was against a glorified HS team, so we'll see what happens when he goes up against a well-coached hardnosed team with some athletes, but if he can make quick decisions, not take too many sacks (I know he got put down twice) and get it to those fast freshmen, he's going to be just fine.

All of our NC's came from our QB's distributing the ball. My all time fave QB is Steve Walsh because he was (along with Bernie and Dorsey) a VERY smart QB. If Steve had TVD's arm talent, he would've played as a starter in the league for a long time. Anyway, the point is let's have QB's who get the ball to the playmakers and not take the place of the playmakers. Garcia and TVD seem to fit that bill and TVD seems less prone to mistakes (knock on wood).

We'll know more this Thursday...
He was the better QB yesterday that’s for sure

Advertisement
I don't think there's enough live game evidence right now to go on. I also don't think our practices give reliable information. So, it's going to be difficult. The reason I speculate Garcia as the better answer long-term is how he throws on the move, his release, and his overall feet/balance. TVD's been lauded for his athleticism, and I'm sure he's overall a good athlete, but I haven't seen the foot quickness or balance I expected. We shall see.

Garcia is a Lashlee guy first and foremost. He inherited TVD. TVD has the measurables but is not really an rpo guy. Kind of what Kaaya was when Richt tried it with him.

He may be ahead of Garcia now because he's been in the system a year longer.

Garcia can run the rpo so gives you that added dimension that a defense has to account for. No way TVD makes that read or run that Garcia made.

Watching the two press conferences it also appears to me Garcia has got the personality to rally the team behind him. TVD just looks stiff and kind of plays that way too. The term "robotic" has been mentioned in reference to his play. I agree with that.

I think ultimately Garcia wins out because Lashlee can do more with him in this system. Probably will see both against UVA but Garcia has the higher ceiling and will win out eventually.

I don't think there's enough live game evidence right now to go on. I also don't think our practices give reliable information. So, it's going to be difficult. The reason I speculate Garcia as the better answer long-term is how he throws on the move, his release, and his overall feet/balance. TVD's been lauded for his athleticism, and I'm sure he's overall a good athlete, but I haven't seen the foot quickness or balance I expected. We shall see.
This is fair. But to question TVD’s arm is a head scratcher

Advertisement
Let's see them against a legit team before evaluating. I'll be surprised if they don't average throwing a couple INTs a game each, given their inexperience.

Advertisement
Garcia is better. I’m not even sure it’s close. I want a QB who throws the ball downfield.
You mean like the ones TVD threw to Rambo and Wiggins, that was dropped? Listen, BOTH of these guys can push the ball down the field. To act like TVD can't do that is just crazy. Dude would have been 11 of 11 with 4 TDs and 300 yards had Wiggins not dropped that pass. That in what was equal to roughly a quarter and a half of play.

I think they are both quality QBs, and that it is VERY close as to who the better QB is.

Play them both, but if one is in a rhythm don’t pull him just to give the other reps. At the same time, don‘t give one a quick hook for a mistake. We need to see how each responds to pressure situations.

Tough calls, because you still want to win the game.

TVD should start, since he was the starter yesterday and did nothing to lose the job.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back