Here's an unpopular take as I get home...

We are fine.

Gawt **** sakes play Miami football.

I have Gator alumni family that literally said.

" We won, but you guys were actually better. Have your QB pass the ball".

Miami is going to only improve. We showed heart, grit, will to win, effort, game plan...and so on.

Let Jarren roll , and throw it.

Canes are fine. Our ceiling is really high. Even Gator family saw it. They survived the game.

Advertisement
btw, not for nothing, Miami tailgates at home and the road are the best. The one I went to hung out with the great Stefan 'Mr CanesInsight' Adams, Canes Edit (we followed each other on Twitter!!!) and I even met 'Solo D' - very nice guy, who is the Rakim of Miami Football

Anyhoo...here's my thought : for the time being, is it time for Miami to stop playing in these big opening week games on a national stage? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know we used to be 'anywhere, anytime, anyplace' but this aint the 80's anymore. And right now, Miami is that middle aged woman, who at one time was a beauty pageant contestant, who has gained 25 pounds, still trying to dress like she's 21( yeah, no one is Forever 21) and wearing a girdle belt.

Now, I wanna make it clear( as someone who was in Dallas last season and then Orlando this past weekend), these losses feel MUCH different, and I have a much more optimistic feeling about this season. I liked what I saw last night, overall.

But this athletic department has to be realistic about just where they are as a program, and who they are currently. Maybe in a few years, when Diaz has this thing rolling -- knock on wood -- we can come right out of the gate with prime time games, but right now, well, if there was ever a time when Miami needed some 'pre-season' games it was this season. Now, I know these decisions are made long beforehand, but my overall point is that Miami has to realize where they stand at the moment

Currently, Miami just aint ready for the prime time, that's the reality

Game 1 should be against a nonrival P5 so that it is a challenge but gives an opportunity to make lots of mistakes and be substantially certain that you will start season with a W. Illinois, Purdue, Vandy, WSU, Utah. That level. ****, a non P5 Miami-UCF opener would be a fun watch. Stiffer challenge? Miami-Nebraska ,Miami-Stanford, or Miami-USC would be a blast. ZERO problem with a game like UF (rivalry) or LSU game 2 after a 2 week layoff and a chance to make adjustments. Yes, I realize schedules are made in advance, but it's easy to see who is above 50% in the blue chip ratio. They tend to stay there. Avoid those teams in openers. It's just a money grab by the AD with more downside than upside to schedule a very tough opponent game 1.

Game 1 should be against a nonrival P5 so that it is a challenge but gives an opportunity to make lots of mistakes and be substantially certain that you will start season with a W. Illinois, Purdue, Vandy, WSU, Utah. That level. ****, a non P5 Miami-UCF opener would be a fun watch. Stiffer challenge? Miami-Nebraska ,Miami-Stanford, or Miami-USC would be a blast. ZERO problem with a game like UF (rivalry) or LSU game 2 after a 2 week layoff and a chance to make adjustments. Yes, I realize schedules are made in advance, but it's easy to see who is above 50% in the blue chip ratio. They tend to stay there. Avoid those teams in openers. It's just a money grab by the AD with more downside than upside to schedule a very tough opponent game 1.

that's all Im saying, and some on this thread....didnt react well ,lol

Advertisement
that's all Im saying, and some on this thread....didnt react well ,lol

Ideal schedule is:
Game 1: good challenge but high probability of win (low to mid P5, no rivalry game)
2 week Layoff, make adjustments
Game 2: Marquee matchup (UF, FSU rivalry), Bama, LSU
Game 3: cupcake. If you lose game 2, good way to rebound and get mojo back. Not heavy penalty for L since so early in season. Win puts you at 3-0 and you start getting national buzz.

It's weird how little strategy seems to go into the schedule making

Can anyone remember when we opened a season strong? 1983? 2000? Any of those times we started against FSU?

Ideal schedule is:
Game 1: good challenge but high probability of win (low to mid P5, no rivalry game)
2 week Layoff, make adjustments
Game 2: Marquee matchup (UF, FSU rivalry), Bama, LSU
Game 3: cupcake. If you lose game 2, good way to rebound and get mojo back. Not heavy penalty for L since so early in season. Win puts you at 3-0 and you start getting national buzz.

It's weird how little strategy seems to go into the schedule making

Our AD is very lacking in terms of vision and strategy for this program in my view. Its absolutely Ok to be strategic in planning out schedules (while still playing solid competition throughout).

Where have you gone Sam Jankovich?

Advertisement
btw, not for nothing, Miami tailgates at home and the road are the best. The one I went to hung out with the great Stefan 'Mr CanesInsight' Adams, Canes Edit (we followed each other on Twitter!!!) and I even met 'Solo D' - very nice guy, who is the Rakim of Miami Football

Anyhoo...here's my thought : for the time being, is it time for Miami to stop playing in these big opening week games on a national stage? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know we used to be 'anywhere, anytime, anyplace' but this aint the 80's anymore. And right now, Miami is that middle aged woman, who at one time was a beauty pageant contestant, who has gained 25 pounds, still trying to dress like she's 21( yeah, no one is Forever 21) and wearing a girdle belt.

Now, I wanna make it clear( as someone who was in Dallas last season and then Orlando this past weekend), these losses feel MUCH different, and I have a much more optimistic feeling about this season. I liked what I saw last night, overall.

But this athletic department has to be realistic about just where they are as a program, and who they are currently. Maybe in a few years, when Diaz has this thing rolling -- knock on wood -- we can come right out of the gate with prime time games, but right now, well, if there was ever a time when Miami needed some 'pre-season' games it was this season. Now, I know these decisions are made long beforehand, but my overall point is that Miami has to realize where they stand at the moment

Disagree. In the grand scheme of things, unless you're truly a national title contender where that extra loss is going to keep you out of the top four—these preseason games don't really matter (barring injury, like Florida State saw in 2017 when Francois was hurt against Alabama.)

It's good exposure for the program and it's an out of conference match-up that does nothing to hurt a run towards a division title and conference crown.

Miami lost to LSU last year, things were miserable for a few days and then the season got going. Blink and it was October with the Canes 5-1 after coming back against Florida State.

Losing the next four was the problem. Should've beaten Virginia, Georgia Tech and Duke (will give in on a Friday night road game at Boston College.)

7-5 in the regular season should've been 10-2 with a Coastal title, a loss to Clemson putting Miami at 10-3 going into bowl season and a season that should've ended 11-3 or 10-4—the LSU opener meaningless.

The game has changed. Pre-playoffs and conference title games, a contender couldn't afford an early-season loss like that. Now you can. |

The only way this hurts Miami is if the Canes were a legit contender, won out and there were a handful of undefeated, keeping UM from being a Top Four Playoffs-bound team—which isn't the case this year.

****ed that game away last night. Had those guys in the crosshairs and couldn't take them down. Win that thing 27-24 or 26-24 and the narrative is completely different today.

Welcome to the fine line between winning and losing.

A couple Bethune-Cookman’s would have been nice to get the new offense, especially the OT’s ready. But it might have been good for Nelson & Campbell to have reality slap them in the face Week 0. Now they have two weeks to prepare for the next game.

We gave that game away. Multiple chance to put it away and multiple chances to win.

Did anyone watch our bowl game against Wisconsin? I’m calling it a step in the right direction. Personally, I feel Enos was overcompensating and too focused on trickery when he should have focused faster developing plays with more protection

Advertisement
A couple Bethune-Cookman’s would have been nice to get the new offense, especially the OT’s ready. But it might have been good for Nelson & Campbell to have reality slap them in the face Week 0. Now they have two weeks to prepare for the next game.

We gave that game away. Multiple chance to put it away and multiple chances to win.

Did anyone watch our bowl game against Wisconsin? I’m calling it a step in the right direction. Personally, I feel Enos was overcompensating and too focused on trickery when he should have focused faster developing plays with more protection

TEs are supposed to be a young QBs best friend. They were totally useless. Maybe the dropoff from Hartley to Field is having a much bigger impact than anyone thought.

Advertisement
2021 yes we do
Thanks for clearing it up. Well, that's not next year, that's 2 years, which is an eternity in the CFB world. If Diaz can't get respectable OL play in 2 years, then I welcome another SEC public rapping, because we will have earned it.

Disagree. That game did us no harm. We're not a national title contender this year. Therefore, an out of conference first game of the season loss has no impact on our season or goals. Some may argue recruiting, but the thought that these individual rivalry games by themselves have a big impact on recruiting has always been way overblown. Besides any recruit that saw the game or even the score knows that the game was a toss up that could have gone either way.

The upside is that we now get to roll into conference play with a real game against a tough team under our belts which gives us a leg up against UNC and others.

I liked the post, but disagree with the take. Yes, it was not ideal this year, but you gotta have measuring stick games. We’ll be better every day from here forward. Crazy as it sounds right now, I think we’ll be ready for Bama in 2021.

Step back from the tree you just ran your car into and take a look at the forest. Don’t let the pain blind you to the truth.

Advertisement
Back