Here's an unpopular take as I get home...

Advertisement
btw, not for nothing, Miami tailgates at home and the road are the best. The one I went to hung out with the great Stefan 'Mr CanesInsight' Adams, Canes Edit (we followed each other on Twitter!!!) and I even met 'Solo D' - very nice guy, who is the Rakim of Miami Football

Anyhoo...here's my thought : for the time being, is it time for Miami to stop playing in these big opening week games on a national stage? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know we used to be 'anywhere, anytime, anyplace' but this aint the 80's anymore. And right now, Miami is that middle aged woman, who at one time was a beauty pageant contestant, who has gained 25 pounds, still trying to dress like she's 21( yeah, no one is Forever 21) and wearing a girdle belt.

Now, I wanna make it clear( as someone who was in Dallas last season and then Orlando this past weekend), these losses feel MUCH different, and I have a much more optimistic feeling about this season. I liked what I saw last night, overall.

But this athletic department has to be realistic about just where they are as a program, and who they are currently. Maybe in a few years, when Diaz has this thing rolling -- knock on wood -- we can come right out of the gate with prime time games, but right now, well, if there was ever a time when Miami needed some 'pre-season' games it was this season. Now, I know these decisions are made long beforehand, but my overall point is that Miami has to realize where they stand at the moment

Currently, Miami just aint ready for the prime time, that's the reality

We’ve **** our pants at such an unreal rate that we’re a joke to nation.

We view Miami as what they were or what they’re capable of , the national fan views us as Pitt.

Agreed. Remember the Labor Day games with FSU? Those were awful to watch.

Miami seems to start slow, seasons and games. Not always, but often.

Advertisement
I’m down for playing anyone, but I don’t agree with it being the 1st game of the season

Well guess what, we have Bama next year
giphy.gif

I want to make this clear, Im not saying dont schedule big P5 programs (thats a UM tradition) but these opening game showcases, yeah, right now, we're like that piece of cheddar in those Cheez-It commercials -- not ready

For all the not readiness we exhibited last night, we still had a chance to win that ******* game. Give some props to the team, they didn’t fold despite all of the mental mistakes. We are either not as bad as the doomsday sayers are putting it, or UFag isn’t a Top 8 team but should drop more to a Top 15 squad. Yes, it would’ve been nice to have a FAMU like game but if we saw the same mental mistakes in that game, what would that have shown us differently, besides a W versus an L? It’s great for college football what Manny is bringing back to the U. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and for all the talent Richt did gather, no where is the talent lacking moreso than the OL. We will have to come up with either a better combination or use these next 3 games to solidify Zion and Campbell and increase their confidence. I don’t know mate, still plenty of things that aren’t Miami-esq but I’m not ready to call this season done. If we still see the same issues in Chapel Hill as we did last night, then a pattern is beginning to emerge. And that will not be a great sign.

Given the schedule is made years in advance I’m not sure how we get around these early season games since Miami is still considered a national brand. It’s incumbent on Manny to have the coaching staff and players better suited to play. Forget 2020 for now besides recruiting...all focus needs to go towards the next opponent, UNC

Advertisement
Disagree.

Who's game was it with 10 minutes to go?
Or 4 minutes to go?
If you bet Miami- you won.

Being in the ACC Coastal, we need these games.
It was the way this particular team set up this year that made it a bad idea.

New HC/OC/DC/OL. Young & inexperienced. It would’ve been nice to scrimmage savannah state this year to get it going. I agree with k9 in that regard.

But yes, bring on the gators every year. The coastal is ****. Even though we lost, it was fun as **** to be the in person last night and it was the same in Miami in 2013. We might have a lot of fair weather fans, but when the weather is good they are the f’in best.

So it can be fools gold when we play a legit opponent in the season? The offseason was harder because they knew we had a marquee matchup opening the season. We just need to win the games at the end of the day. Perception wise people came out feeling a little more positive in Miami ceiling for the season after they saw glimpses of Jarren being very impressive, a great defense and battling a top 10 ranked team and probably think Miami should have won ultimately. Not saying we do but if we win out this loss won’t hurt us even if the gators go 9-3 or whatever because they will see a young team that got better over the course of the season. It only can get better and better and I’m here to see it through
Brock, completely agree mate. We don’t have a bottom feeder team but we aren’t that far outside of the Top 25 either. I have confidence that Manny will see the holes we have and get them filled, quickly. We still have all of the ACC ahead and honestly feel we will come out better from this, despite the loss. We had every opportunity to win it that’s for sure.

For all the not readiness we exhibited last night, we still had a chance to win that ******* game. Give some props to the team, they didn’t fold despite all of the mental mistakes. We are either not as bad as the doomsday sayers are putting it, or UFag isn’t a Top 8 team but should drop more to a Top 15 squad. Yes, it would’ve been nice to have a FAMU like game but if we saw the same mental mistakes in that game, what would that have shown us differently, besides a W versus an L? It’s great for college football what Manny is bringing back to the U. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and for all the talent Richt did gather, no where is the talent lacking moreso than the OL. We will have to come up with either a better combination or use these next 3 games to solidify Zion and Campbell and increase their confidence. I don’t know mate, still plenty of things that aren’t Miami-esq but I’m not ready to call this season done. If we still see the same issues in Chapel Hill as we did last night, then a pattern is beginning to emerge. And that will not be a great sign.

Given the schedule is made years in advance I’m not sure how we get around these early season games since Miami is still considered a national brand. It’s incumbent on Manny to have the coaching staff and players better suited to play. Forget 2020 for now besides recruiting...all focus needs to go towards the next opponent, UNC
Exactly, what do we even learn by playing a Bethune Cookman type of team to start out?

Last edited:
It was the way this particular team set up this year that made it a bad idea.

New HC/OC/DC/OL. Young & inexperienced. It would’ve been nice to scrimmage savannah state this year to get it going. I agree with k9 in that regard.

But yes, bring on the gators every year. The coastal is ****. Even though we lost, it was fun as **** to be the in person last night and it was the same in Miami in 2013. We might have a lot of fair weather fans, but when the weather is good they are the f’in best.

Good point.

Advertisement
Disagree.

Who's game was it with 10 minutes to go?
Or 4 minutes to go?
If you bet Miami- you won.

Being in the ACC Coastal, we need these games.
Agreed, I’m not surprised we lost adding up the factors, OL, RS FR QB, new OC, new HC, new staff,and all the other **** y’all are sayin’. I am disappointed that despite all this we could have should won. This was a measuring stick against a top ten SEC team and we were in it. Let’s rack this ***** up and move on, learn, grow and go. Guys wanna be comedians at these kids expense, it’s Canes In or Canes Out, jump on or jump the *** off. P.S. ya think #8 in the nation is not surprised and disappointed by their showing, *** yeah they are.CANESNATIONNOW🙌🏿

btw, not for nothing, Miami tailgates at home and the road are the best. The one I went to hung out with the great Stefan 'Mr CanesInsight' Adams, Canes Edit (we followed each other on Twitter!!!) and I even met 'Solo D' - very nice guy, who is the Rakim of Miami Football

Anyhoo...here's my thought : for the time being, is it time for Miami to stop playing in these big opening week games on a national stage? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know we used to be 'anywhere, anytime, anyplace' but this aint the 80's anymore. And right now, Miami is that middle aged woman, who at one time was a beauty pageant contestant, who has gained 25 pounds, still trying to dress like she's 21( yeah, no one is Forever 21) and wearing a girdle belt.

Now, I wanna make it clear( as someone who was in Dallas last season and then Orlando this past weekend), these losses feel MUCH different, and I have a much more optimistic feeling about this season. I liked what I saw last night, overall.

But this athletic department has to be realistic about just where they are as a program, and who they are currently. Maybe in a few years, when Diaz has this thing rolling -- knock on wood -- we can come right out of the gate with prime time games, but right now, well, if there was ever a time when Miami needed some 'pre-season' games it was this season. Now, I know these decisions are made long beforehand, but my overall point is that Miami has to realize where they stand at the moment

***** post. We lost by 4 on national tv to a ranked team despite all the issues. Yes we should play.

Outside of the Michigan opener a couple years ago, how many UF big game openers have you seen? They rarely agree to games like this.

Advertisement

You’re soft. I want my team playing in as many big games as possible. Not hiding under some rock.

I restarted this post 4 times because it’s so … cowardly (and, I actually like you as a poster; you’re better than this); it’s against not only Cane mentality, but the mentality of civilized sport. That you found an “amen corner” is troubling - possibly for another fan base - but this one seems to multiply these types of “let’s play FAMU 12 times…” superfans.

You’re in media but you don’t understand branding? You’re in media but you don’t understand advertising? You’re in media … and you’re missing the point of, well … media. Even in a loss, Miami is in the national conversation because only CHOSEN teams get to play these preseason bowl games. Miami was chosen. And almost won despite the many errors.

Miami needs to play any team, anytime, and anywhere and if it kicks off the season … even better.

Bama 2021
And you can bounce back from an early loss. If you do It’s better to lose 1 game early in the season compared to late. Even though we didn’t win Everyone saw Miami wasn’t no slouch and probably could have won that game. They also see the inexperience we had offensively. If we rebound and go on a run all that will be taken into consideration

Advertisement
Back