Here Is How Miami Can Redshirt All True Freshmen in 2020 - Offense

@Gooner#44 are you in favor of tightening player rotations?

If there was ever a year to be didactic with true freshmen it's 2020. Yes, they may have more talent than some of the upperclassmen but for better or worse, Miami will need to depend on its front-line players.

There really is no reason why using the following players on offense shouldn't be enough to win most of the games on our schedule:

QB King / Perry / Matocha
RB Harris / Burns / Knighton
FB Parrott
WR Harley / Pope / Few / Martell
WR Wiggins / Mallory / Payton
TE Jordan / Hodges

Advertisement
@Gooner#44 are you in favor of tightening player rotations?

If there was ever a year to be didactic with true freshmen it's 2020. Yes, they may have more talent than some of the upperclassmen but for better or worse, Miami will need to depend on its front-line players.

There really is no reason why using the following players on offense shouldn't be enough to win most of the games on our schedule:

QB King / Perry / Matocha
RB Harris / Burns / Knighton
FB Parrott
WR Harley / Pope / Few / Martell
WR Wiggins / Mallory / Payton
TE Jordan / Hodges

****, I'm just being honest, I don't even know if we'll need-need Knighton for all 12 games.

King is going to run the ball a lot more than Perry/Williams did. And I'd be willing to bet that we'll use one or two of the WRs for a bunch of runs too.

****, I'm just being honest, I don't even know if we'll need-need Knighton for all 12 games.

King is going to run the ball a lot more than Perry/Williams did. And I'd be willing to bet that we'll use one or two of the WRs for a bunch of runs too.

True dat. I worry about King's health long-term. He throws his body around. Harris has the makings of a bell-cow too, but SMU used 2 backs last year so if Burns holds off the freshmen one of them just might redshirt.

Last edited:
What do we think? Is this enough time to get true freshmen up to speed?

Proposed preseason calendar
  • Voluntary workouts: June 1-25 (virtual instruction 8 hours per week)
  • Mandatory workouts: July 13, 25 days before first permissible preseason practice date
  • Walk-throughs and meetings: July 24, 14 days before first preseason practice date (8 hours weight training, 6 hours walk-through with football, 6 hours for meetings)
  • Preseason practices: Aug. 7, 29 days before first game (20 hours per week)

• Mandatory workouts: July 13, 25 days before first permissible preseason practice date
  • Walk-throughs and meetings: July 24, 14 days before first preseason practice date (8 hours weight training, 6 hours walk-through with football, 6 hours for meetings)

Plenty!

Advertisement

You have to take into account that they lost all of the spring. Most of our true freshmen were available in the spring, but ended up doing nothing.

The workouts are for conditioning, it's not really "learning the playbook/running the plays".

So, 2 weeks of walk-throughs and 4 weeks of practice? How is that different from any other year? What IS different is no spring practice/scrimmage.

It's beginning to feel increasingly likely that if there's a season, the roles for true freshmen will be diminished. These are kids who have yet to experience a scrimmage at the collegiate level. There's no way to replicate the speed of the game without practice reps or scrimmages. An abbreviated training camp means even less time for the new arrivals to acclimate. 2020 is a year for heavy dependence on experienced players with at least a couple seasons under their belt.

It's beginning to feel increasingly likely that if there's a season, the roles for true freshmen will be diminished. These are kids who have yet to experience a scrimmage at the collegiate level. There's no way to replicate the speed of the game without practice reps or scrimmages. An abbreviated training camp means even less time for the new arrivals to acclimate. 2020 is a year for heavy dependence on experienced players with at least a couple seasons under their belt.
Experience is one of the best teachers....

Advertisement
Never RS highly touted RBs they'll be gone in year 3 barring injury

RB is a tough position to pick up. That said, I could see one of them having a Frank Gore 2001-type impact but Cam Harris and Robert Burns will be leaned on early and often.

Advertisement
Back