Herbstreit on the 2018 Canes (hint: it's all about Rosier)

D

deleted7012

“You look at the backfield, you look at the depth they now have at receiver they didn’t have a year ago. You look at the offensive line. You have every reason to believe this comes down to — hate to say it — Malik Rosier and his development from where he was a year ago. There were times he looked really good and times, let’s face it, he didn’t look so good. How far he improves from last year to this year will tell you… what kind of year Miami will end up having.

“I know they lost a few guys on defense, but most of that leadership group is back. [Defensive coordinator] Manny Diaz is going to be aggressive. The gold chain is going to be out. This defense will keep them in every game they play. Until we see it, the question is how far along this offense has come and can they win the games that will be pretty tough for them this year, starting with LSU; they got Florida State, which will be a tough game. Let’s see where Rosier is and that will kind of dictate the kind of year the Canes end up having.”

Source: Miami Herald, Kirk Herbstreit discusses where UM stacks up. And Hurricanes personnel notes

I wouldn't put it all on Rosier; the OL will be #1 on my watchlist come opening day, especially after the atrocious spring they had. Other than that, though, I'd say Herbie's assessment is pretty accurate.

Advertisement
Hey, look at Suckeyestreit's new wardrobe for this season of College Gameday:
9c5125b9-e7e3-400c-88e7-626dc17f4156_1.7c93278c74008b07645850c42a24f009.jpg

Reports out of CMR yesterday (scrimmage) were the OL protected and Malik had room and time to throw, and therefore played well. This echoes the sentiment coming out of camp about a week ago, and further emphasizes previous reports that he's taken a leadership role.

Like all of you, I'll believe it when I see it. But I did re-watch most of the games from last season, and man... Rosier made some really beautiful throws. His throwing shoulder was hurt in the second half of last season, the OL wasn't doing their job, we had multiple huge weapons hurt or out, and Richt is a QB guru. There's good reason to be hopeful, if not optimistic.

If Rosier pulls it together the only weak points I see (beyond the OL, maybe) are depth at DT and CB. But the starters are all going to be studs this season.

The other REALLY important thing is that we need to blow teams out and get the young QB's (even more so than all the young guys) some live reps.
We're at just over a week and I am F@#K!NG PUMPED

OL wasn't horrible last year overall. They were dominated late by two overwhelmingly talented defenses in Wisconsin and Clemson.

We are rock solid at center and left tackle. Have faith the RT position will be fine with a slimmed down Donaldson.

A little uncertainty may remain but against this very winnable schedule, imo Rosier is a much bigger question mark.

Advertisement
If Malik, can get to 60 percent or even 58 we are solid with him in the passing game.

From what I hear in camp that we all know is our Running backs. Homer will be at 1000 or close , and CR will have us run power in the red zone. Plus we have the tight ends, that will step up.

He just needs to manage the game, and dish to our RB's and AR 82. I think Richards will have a big bounce back year.

What teams' season isn't dependent on their QB?.....brilliant deduction. LOL

Rosier basically said he wasn’t trying in the Pitt game last year.

**** talent, accuracy, arm strength etc THAT BULLSH1T is what needed fixed

He never actually said that or anything even close, as I recall. But hey, maybe I’m wrong.

If you can reference a proven quote from him to back up your claim, I’d appreciate it.

Advertisement
He never actually said that or anything even close, as I recall. But hey, maybe I’m wrong.

If you can reference a proven quote from him to back up your claim, I’d appreciate it.

He said something close. Like he didn’t care to study and his head wasn’t all the way in the game. It’s why many of us here were shocked, like what kind of dude takes game day for granted. Or just come out there just to come out there. Even if you aren’t great of a player that’s a weak mindset to have. Glad to hear that he’s improving in the mental areas.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rosier said he was just going through the motions, and honestly, the entire team was. They had the division locked up with a spot in the CFP wholly dependent on beating Clemson and nothing else. The Pitt game was irrelevant and the entire team played like it.
I wouldn't go so far as to say the game was irrelevant, but I do agree the team sure played as just going through the motions

Rosier said he was just going through the motions, and honestly, the entire team was. They had the division locked up with a spot in the CFP wholly dependent on beating Clemson and nothing else. The Pitt game was irrelevant and the entire team played like it.
Team definitely looked like it was going through the motions in the pitt game

Advertisement
OL wasn't horrible last year overall. They were dominated late by two overwhelmingly talented defenses in Wisconsin and Clemson.

We are rock solid at center and left tackle. Have faith the RT position will be fine with a slimmed down Donaldson.

A little uncertainty may remain but against this very winnable schedule, imo Rosier is a much bigger question mark.

The O-line wasn't "horrible" because of very capable backs running the ball and defenses forced to respect Rosier's running ability. They struggled with the running game against decent teams, set up too many 3rd and longs to convert, and that led to related problems in pass protection and way, way too many hurries on throws. Kind of hard to be accurate when you can't set your feet.

I'm encouraged that the O-line seems to be jelling, if that improves, then the entire offense will be better, plain and simple. And we won;t have to wait long for that; we will know fairly quickly with a front 7 like LSU recruits. They may not be able to find a QB, but they can **** sure find some D-Linemen.

He said something close. Like he didn’t care study and head wasn’t all the way in the game. It’s why many of us here were shocked like what kind of dude takes game day for granted. Or just come out there just to come out there. Even if you aren’t great of a player that’s a weak mindset to have. Glad to hear that he’s improving in the mental areas.

So did he or didn’t he say he wasn’t trying? How about a link to a quote?

Advertisement
Back