Herbstreit doesnt think NFL or College will be played this year.....

Hypothetically, if the NFL went ahead and cancelled the season now but still had the 2020 draft, if I were the Dolphins I'd ignore quarterback this year and stock up on everything else. Then use the 2021 draft to go after Lawrence or Fields.
I've asked this question here before, but if there is no NFL season, how the **** do they have the 2021 NFL Draft? Who would be picking when? With no season they'd have to have a lottery or something and then watch the Chiefs get the #1 pick and have Mahomes and Lawrence!

Advertisement
I've asked this question here before, but if there is no NFL season, how the **** do they have the 2021 NFL Draft? Who would be picking when? With no season they'd have to have a lottery or something and then watch the Chiefs get the #1 pick and have Mahomes and Lawrence!

LOL, that's a **** good question.

LOL, that's a **** good question.
Think about it, there's really only two options if they don't play a season:

1. Every team is put in a lottery and one team gets lucky and picks Trevor Lawrence and another team gets screwed and picks 32nd, when no games were played. It'd be ridiculous.

2. The NFL coordinates with the NCAAF and states there simply will not be a 2021 Draft, with the NCAAF letting everyone have another year of eligibility. This would completely ***** over anyone who stayed for their 2020 senior year rather than declare for the NFL because they'd lose out on two years of NFL money AND then the 2022 Draft would have twice the number of eligible players and you're ******** over tons of players since only one draft covers two years' of players.

Or, you do the sensible thing and fit in some sort of NFL season and allow for the team records to dictate the draft order, as is customary.

Advertisement
Think about it, there's really only two options if they don't play a season:

1. Every team is put in a lottery and one team gets lucky and picks Trevor Lawrence and another team gets screwed and picks 32nd, when no games were played. It'd be ridiculous.

2. The NFL coordinates with the NCAAF and states there simply will not be a 2021 Draft, with the NCAAF letting everyone have another year of eligibility. This would completely ***** over anyone who stayed for their 2020 senior year rather than declare for the NFL because they'd lose out on two years of NFL money AND then the 2022 Draft would have twice the number of eligible players and you're ******** over tons of players since only one draft covers two years' of players.

Or, you do the sensible thing and fit in some sort of NFL season and allow for the team records to dictate the draft order, as is customary.
If your projected to be a high draft pick, you are not coming back for another year of eligibility. Trevor Lawrence, who will be the number one pick next year, isn’t going to stay another year at Clemson. And I personally don’t think it’s fair to give any player in any sport another year of eligibility.

If your projected to be a high draft pick, you are not coming back for another year of eligibility. Trevor Lawrence, who will be the number one pick next year, isn’t going to stay another year at Clemson
I agree, but we are assuming there is a 2021 Draft. If there is no 2020 NFL season, how is there a 2021 NFL Draft? Which team gets to draft Lawrence?

I agree, but we are assuming there is a 2021 Draft. If there is no 2020 NFL season, how is there a 2021 NFL Draft? Which team gets to draft Lawrence?
That’s a great question. They will probably randomize the Draft. I personally don’t think the NCAA should give kids an extra year of eligibility.

That’s a great question. They will probably randomize the Draft. I personally don’t think the NCAA should give kids an extra year of eligibility.
I can see it now: the New England Patriots win the draft lottery and pick Trevor Lawrence first overall.

That type of **** can't happen. If they have to postpone the draft a year, so be it.

Advertisement
I can see it now: the New England Patriots win the draft lottery and pick Trevor Lawrence first overall.

That type of **** can't happen. If they have to postpone the draft a year, so be it.
I would love that to happen. I am a pats fan. If we get Lawrence, the dynasty will continue for another 15-20 years

They aren’t going to postpone next years draft. I think that is out of the question.

They aren’t going to postpone next years draft. I think that is out of the question.
Well I think the NFL gets in some sort of a season, even if not the full 17 games. But if not, I don't want some randomized draft lottery.

How would you feel if a pretty solid Buffalo Bills team landed Lawrence in a lottery?

Well I think the NFL gets in some sort of a season, even if not the full 17 games. But if not, I don't want some randomized draft lottery.

How would you feel if a pretty solid Buffalo Bills team landed Lawrence in a lottery?
I personally don’t think Bills will go with a qb. Josh Allen looked like a pretty good qb to me. But that could always change by then

Advertisement
If they did a lottery for a year it would not include playoff teams and the lottery balls would be distributed by reserve standings. Buffalo would not get Lawrence in that scenario. Rounds 2-7 is where you could just randomize everything though I'd prefer fully randomizing 4-7 only.

A delayed NFL season with no fans is still more likely than no season anyway.

If they did a lottery for a year it would not include playoff teams and the lottery balls would be distributed by reserve standings. Buffalo would not get Lawrence in that scenario. Rounds 2-7 is where you could just randomize everything though I'd prefer fully randomizing 4-7 only.

A delayed NFL season with no fans is still more likely than no season anyway.
I think if they only play a portion of the season, they will just use those standings to determine the draft order. I think they would only do a lottery if there is no season at all

I think if they only play a portion of the season, they will just use those standings to determine the draft order. I think they would only do a lottery if there is no season at all
I firmly believe they will squeeze in some form of a season. Even if they delay the start of the season a couple months and only get in 10 games, that's preferred to wreaking havoc on the Draft.

Advertisement
I firmly believe they will squeeze in some form of a season. Even if they delay the start of the season a couple months and only get in 10 games, that's preferred to wreaking havoc on the Draft.
I think they will get in a season. It’s way to pre mature to cancel anything at this moment. I believe all of this will be better by then. Even if they do start late, the teams shouldn’t cry about the draft order and just be fortunate that they had a season.

He signed a 2 year deal bro. Cap will get tougher next season though with Howard, Godwin, David likely getting raises.
I know, bro, but he’s 43.

The NFL had a nine-game season during a player-strike season. They can do it again.

I like Herb, but he’s out of his senile mind, if he thinks the world is going to shut down for 6 months. No matter the cost to life, this country willl be open for business less than two months. If not, most people will be living off the toilet paper they horded.

Advertisement
Back