Herbstreit doesnt think NFL or College will be played this year.....

MizCane

Senior
Advertisement
It's pretty absurd to think there won't be sports played until there's a vaccine. And there might not be a vaccine for 2 years given how difficult it is to create one, so that would possibly mean no 2021 either according to him.

Japan and Korea have started playing their baseball leagues already. European soccer leagues are going to finish their seasons this summer. Sports are going to be played.

Once the initial wave of the outbreak is over and we have enough testing capacity and knowledge to isolate, quarantine, and suppress localized flare ups, life can get back to some semblance of normalcy, including sports.

There very likely wont be sports played in front of large crowds with a vaccine, but sports are already being played elsewhere so his belief doesn't hold much weight. Plus there's enormous financial pressure to find a way to play. College athletic departments are screwed without TV revenue from football

It's pretty absurd to think there won't be sports played until there's a vaccine. And there might not be a vaccine for 2 years given how difficult it is to create one, so that would possibly mean no 2021 either according to him.

Japan and Korea have started playing their baseball leagues already. European soccer leagues are going to finish their seasons this summer. Sports are going to be played.

Once the initial wave of the outbreak is over and we have enough testing capacity and knowledge to isolate, quarantine, and suppress localized flare ups, life can get back to some semblance of normalcy, including sports.

There very likely wont be sports played in front of large crowds with a vaccine, but sports are already being played elsewhere so his belief doesn't hold much weight. Plus there's enormous financial pressure to find a way to play. College athletic departments are screwed without TV revenue from football
I agree with this . Now I could completely see college football played next season without spectators but they will be played. **** I think NBA gets back to it in late may early June . Same with MLB . But there won't be people in the stands .

Advertisement
Advertisement
Man if football gets cancelled then idk what I would do. I already have the thought in my head that NHL playoffs and baseball will be cancelled. Would suck especially since the Lightning could win the cup, the Rays could make a run, Miami's baseball team was supposed to be very good, and then with King and the new offense in the fall would just be horrible. Stay safe out there boys.

Americans are impatient and have ever shorter attention spans. If this drags on for that long, there will be pressure for some degree of normalcy. Even if huge gatherings are too dangerous, people will still want the games to watch at home. Ratings would be huge and empty stadiums wouldn't matter. But no SEC attendance smack? Duke with the same home field advantage as Ohio State and Clemson? What a weird season it would be.

We didn't have a vaccine for the last two like this until they where gone. They are moving to production on some of the likely ones asap to speed the delivery if found to work. Still virus will probably not be active when season starts unless Southern Hemisphere visitors bring it up this summer.

Advertisement
Season played in empty stadiums?

Possibly.

Seasons completely canceled for the NFL and NCAA? Also possible.

While there may be a return to some type of normalcy by mid summer, it is very possible that restrictions on large crowds will continue throughout the year into December and possibly spring.

Unless there’s some kind of policy developed with rapid testing and rapid antibody detection. But what then? People are going to wear a red badge indicating that they’ve been tested/not tested and/or have antibodies?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Both the Hurricanes and the Dolphins could finally end up with a good QB and we won't be able to see it. We're cursed
Hypothetically, if the NFL went ahead and cancelled the season now but still had the 2020 draft, if I were the Dolphins I'd ignore quarterback this year and stock up on everything else. Then use the 2021 draft to go after Lawrence or Fields.

It is way too early to tell but if states don't begin to lock things down this **** is going to spread even worse. It sucks to be in a state that has already shut things down but the reality is, the quicker we do this, the quicker we get back to some semblance of normalcy.

I hope your right but I keep hearing of a second wave coming(hopefully fake news).

Advertisement
Back