Herbert Update

Gators in great position for 4-star OT

Confidence recently had been growing in Gainesville on Florida’s chances with Kai-Leon Herbert. Now it’s through the roof.

The 4-star offensive tackle from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., decommitted from Michigan over the weekend.

“Things just went south,” Herbert told Land of 10. “There were some other factors … it just wasn’t good.”

The Gators get Herbert’s final visit this weekend, and all signs point to an eventual pledge. Florida was the heavy favorite for him early in his recruitment.

He’s teammates at American Heritage High School with UF commits James Houston and Marco Wilson as well as Florida-lean Tedarrell “T.J.” Slaton, a 4-star defensive tackle.

The Gators don’t have an offensive line coach at this time, but last week McElwain and defensive coordinator Randy Shannon put him at ease about the upcoming hire.

The staff has been in Herbert’s good graces since his injury in early December.

“A lot of people don’t know this,” Herbert told SEC Country, “but I chipped a piece of bone in my shoulder. The University of Florida has been gracious enough to refer me to doctors. They’re telling me this doesn’t scare them off one bit. They still want me to be part of the family and I can come compete for a starting job.”

Herbert visited Auburn on Jan. 15 and Miami last weekend, but his decision will be between the Hurricanes and UF.

None of these quotes would give me sky high confidence he was going to UF, but who knows.

Advertisement
He can not go to UF this wknd. He does, and we will lose him. And don't give me the free trip bull****. This is crunch time for everybody out there.

Confidence recently had been growing in Gainesville on Florida’s chances with Kai-Leon Herbert. Now it’s through the roof.

The 4-star offensive tackle from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., decommitted from Michigan over the weekend.

“Things just went south,” Herbert told Land of 10. “There were some other factors … it just wasn’t good.”

The Gators get Herbert’s final visit this weekend, and all signs point to an eventual pledge. Florida was the heavy favorite for him early in his recruitment.

He’s teammates at American Heritage High School with UF commits James Houston and Marco Wilson as well as Florida-lean Tedarrell “T.J.” Slaton, a 4-star defensive tackle.

The Gators don’t have an offensive line coach at this time, but last week McElwain and defensive coordinator Randy Shannon put him at ease about the upcoming hire.

“A lot of people don’t know this,” Herbert told SEC Country, “but I chipped a piece of bone in my shoulder. The University of Florida has been gracious enough to refer me to doctors. They’re telling me this doesn’t scare them off one bit. They still want me to be part of the family and I can come compete for a starting job.

Herbert visited Auburn on Jan. 15 and Miami last weekend, but his decision will be between the Hurricanes and UF.

You know full **** well they're BS'ing this boy. That boy needs a red-shirt more than anything.

But UF thinks they're getting everyone so this article doesn't surprise me.

“A lot of people don’t know this,” Herbert told SEC Country, “but I chipped a piece of bone in my shoulder. The University of Florida has been gracious enough to refer me to doctors. They’re telling me this doesn’t scare them off one bit. They still want me to be part of the family and I can come compete for a starting job.

You know full **** well they're BS'ing this boy. That boy needs a red-shirt more than anything.

Just like we're BSing him about being a FR AA.

If his boys are going there, it seems like a no-brainer. He'll follow his heart. The impression I get is that UF is where he wants to be for multiple reasons, but the fact that they don't have an OL coach is the main reason Miami is in it. That opening along with a subsequent great visit and early PT opportunity likely are making him think twice.

That being said, I think he follows his boys even without an OL coach. Funny thing is I doubt Mac even survives beyond the next year or two at UF. He doesn't have an OL coach there now and won't have the head coach who recruited him within 2 years.

Nevertheless, I still think this kid ends up there though mostly because his boys are going there.

Advertisement
11% Michigan and he decommitted near NSD? Crystal Ball needs to take out those old predictions they average in that makes for a skewed prediction.

Offensive tackle Kai-Leon Herbert (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) said Miami has a 'good chance' of signing him following his weekend official visit.

Herbert, a former Michigan verbal commit, said he's still considering Miami, Florida and Auburn and plans to make his college choice 'before signing day.'

The Crystal Ball reads 57-percent for Florida, 32-percent for Miami and 11-percent for Michigan.

Herbert said Florida coaches Jim McElwain and Doug Nussmeier will do an in-home visit with him Tuesday.

"I just want to know who the (Gators) offensive line coach will be," Herbert said. "That's the big thing in my recruitment."

He said Miami will send Mark Richt and multiple assistants in for an in-home visit Wednesday.

He said Auburn 'is trying' to do an in-home visit for this week but he hasn't set one up with them at this point.

The past weekend in Coral Gables, Florida proved to an eye-opener, per Herbert.

"It was definitely different from the last time I visited there," Herbert said. "The entire staff changed. I had all the coaches - (Hurricanes wide receivers coach Ron Dugans), my old high school coach (Hurricanes cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph), coach Richt, (Hurricanes offensive coordinator) coach Thomas Brown and (offensive line coach Stacy Searels.) And most importantly the strength and conditioning coach (Gus Felder). All the coaches were all there always with me. It was an all-star team."

Herbert met with Richt in his office for an exit interview before departing.

"They are going to be great," Herbert said of Miami. "Something is going on there and everyone wants to be part of it. I like the spiritual side of coach Richt. He told me about the types of players he's trying to bring in. He sees me as a freshman All-American as long as I do what it takes in the weight room and on the field. They have a big need on the offensive line."

Herbert is excited about his upcoming weekend at Florida, one of his longtime favorites.

"Florida is a special place," Herbert said. "They've got (some of my teammates like) Marco Wilson and James Houston, who is already there. There's a couple more south Florida guys going there, too. The entire campus is good to me."

He officially visited Auburn January 13.

"That went pretty good," Herbert said. "Their facilities are real nice and it's a family environment."u

You can be a FR AA off a red-shirt. Look at Frenchie over at FSU. He got conference frosh AA iirc.

Whose confidence? Media plastic confidence put out by a group of pro UF writers.

“A lot of people don’t know this,” Herbert told SEC Country, “but I chipped a piece of bone in my shoulder. The University of Florida has been gracious enough to refer me to doctors. They’re telling me this doesn’t scare them off one bit. They still want me to be part of the family and I can come compete for a starting job.”

Advertisement

BS? Have you seen our OL?

I just feel like he is a Gator and Smith is going to Bama. Outside of those two, I think we close with everyone else on our board which gives us a B+ class in my opinion.

If we get everyone else even without those 2 it is an A as it would easily be our best class in 10 years. To get a top 10 class when you have been mediocore for so long is amazing. With that being said I bet we get one of those 2 .

He can not go to UF this wknd. He does, and we will lose him. And don't give me the free trip bull****. This is crunch time for everybody out there.

LOL he was always going there this weekend just like most of our recruits are going somewhere this weekend. Means nothing . If he is going to UF he is going to UF when he visits means very little.

Advertisement
That quote about something special happening at aMiami and everyone wants to be there sounds very positive for us and leads me to beleive he was told who else is on board that is not public yet.

He says that about us and mentions his buddy's at UF. hoping he doesn't make a choice BC of where some of his friends are at. Make the Richt choice!

Didn't you hear? It was all the play calling. Our OL is great.

Yall some fools.

Advertisement

Oh ****, for reals? That's great news. Replacing Richt's playbook is going to be much simpler than replacing a whole craptastic OL.

Oh ****, for reals? That's great news. Replacing Richt's playbook is going to be much simpler than replacing a whole craptastic OL.

He already got rid of the plays "eye right,everyone completely whiff on your blocks and allow Kaaya to get his molar knocked out, on two,ready, break" and "field goal formation,everybody whiff on your blocks and let the extra point get blocked on three,ready ,break". I'm not sure why he called those plays to begin with, but, there is hope.

Advertisement
Back