Herald article on Clive Walford

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
A couple quotes got my attention, since his speed is oft-debated on here:

He is fast (4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash), has a knack for big plays and said he loves blocking. In his final four games of 2012, he tallied 303 yards and three touchdowns on 11 catches. Against Duke in the season finale, he had four catches for 99 yards and a score. Just 1 more yard would have made him the first UM tight end since 2003 with two consecutive games of at least 100 receiving yards.

The last one to do that? Kellen Winslow II.

UM offensive coordinator James Coley described Walford as “a big guy who’s fast. If you’re fast, you’ve got to learn how to get open. … Can he get open on that safety? Can he change up his speed and burst and get out of his break? He’s been working really hard at it.”
Walford believes he’s ready to take that next step.

Advertisement
Susan Miller Degnan gets a lot of **** on here, but that was a great article.

Clive has NFL talent, hope we get him more involved this year.

Guy has always had the natural ability. I remember when he came on his official visit and he didn't bring a change of clothes. Good to see that Goldens has helped him mature and become well-rounded.

He's been very productive when they've used him this year, hope he gets more touches moving forward.

Advertisement
We have to get more TE production. So often it was the difference in the big games back in the day. Going back to Denison in the 1st NC game. Offense will always be subject to getting shut down against top defenses until TEs get rolling. That is where we always made teams pay.

Clive needs to start being used down the seam to open up the under neath stuff and to get some big plays.

That TD catch He had againt FAU was really nice. He has shown flashes. Just needs to be more consistent. I think that starts with Morris throwing to the TEs more.

Good article. Its about time they start doing articles on more guys on the team besides Duke, Stephen, Seantrel and Chick. We all can recite there life stories backwards and forwards.

Clive can be an NFL tight end. This year and next year will go along way in his development. He already looks the part. And as far as that 4.6 speed, I believe it. Swasey doesnt usually lie about speed. All the guys who tested here usually tested the same at the NFL combine.

Advertisement
He's not slow.

He ridiculously got that label against KState last year when he got caught from behind by a CB who had the angle after a 60 yard gain.

**** is dumb. Not all TEs run like Vernon Davis.

Just my own personal, throwing **** against the wall, theory but Walford looks slow sometimes because we don't get him involved early enough in the game. He doesn't get a lot of help at TE and conditioning may be an issue at times, or may have been in the past.

We need to stop ******* around and get him in on the action on the first series/drive of a game for a change.

I was a little worried about Clive before the season and thought he might lose his starting job to Cleveland or Sandland. Here are the U Tough results for 2013. he basically put on 10lbs of fat and improved his bench by 5 lbs in a year. Also, I'm not sure if he can still run a 4.6, I remember he was asked earlier this year in an interview and he said the last time he tested was his freshmen year and ran around a 4.6. He ran than that at 225-235 lbs.

Tight ends
Asante Cleveland's strength numbers went up (from a 355-pound squat to 365, from a 252 power clean to 274 and from a 300 bench to 305) but perhaps the biggest stride he made was reducing his body fat from 14.9 percent to a trim 11 percent. He's lost almost 10 pounds from last season, giving him more mobility. Clive Walford only tested in the bench and vertical last year (330 and 31.5 respectively) - he had a 335-pound bench and 31.5-inch vertical this year. His body fat increased from 15.8 to 19.2, and he's put on close to 10 pounds.

I'm happy to see that he seems much improved skill wise as he was always athletic. His hands and blocking seems to have improved and I would like to see Morris utilize him and the TEs more. Our offense seems to be in a feast or famine mode all last year and did not show up for 3 qtrs against UF. Less bubble screens and more check downs and screens.

Advertisement
Good blocking so far. Dude is a threat.

Let's pray Coley and Morris come to some sort of understanding, 'cause there is no excuse for our offense not to be lights out great!

Advertisement
The Warlord's blocking has come a long way.

He's gone from liability to average to very good. He was blowing Fowler up against Florida.

Advertisement
Back