Herald article: NCAA makes mockery of "speedy trial"

Good stuff from Greg Cote.

LINK

I’m not sure what the University of Miami and its football program deserve more at this point from the NCAA: a notice of allegations or a letter of apology.

The “speedy trial” clause of the Sixth Amendment at work in the real world evidently makes too much sense for college sports’ judge and jury, and so UM continues to twist in the wind almost 2 1/2 years since Nevin Shapiro first arose publicly from his clandestine sewer bent on bringing down the Hurricanes.

In jurisprudence they say the longer it takes for charges to be brought, the weaker the case — that at some point an “investigation” dragging on and on begins to feel like a witch hunt, or to smell like desperation....

Advertisement
+1 @ BigAl.

I'll take it. At least it's a supportive view coming out of the Herald. No reason to bad mouth the few helpful pieces we get.

Liked the piece. Anything pro-Miami, I support.

His prediction included "maybe" another year bowl ban; that's that **** I don't like.

Advertisement
Cote is an idiot... sensationalizes everything and doesn't know sports all that well.. Is to sports writing as tmz is to reporting the news.

Cote is an idiot... sensationalizes everything and doesn't know sports all that well.. Is to sports writing as tmz is to reporting the news.

He wrote a sympathetic piece on our beloved program.
There aren't many folks in our side.
Be grateful for a change.
WTF is the problem?

Advertisement
Nice to read. It will probably get buried tomorrow by a herald piece on why the football program should be shut down.

It's good see we're not the only ones who see the absurdity in the length of this witch hunt...errr, investigation.

Advertisement
Definitely nice to have a pro piece out there. But I liked it up until "may include one more post season ban" That's impossible.

Quite a bit of Shapiro's fairy tale would need to be true to warrant a 4th post season game suspension, IMO, and all things point to a lot of unsubstantiated allegations.

And it took 2 1/2 years for someone at the hometown herald to question the basis and motives of this inquisition... Thanks for coming but the party is almost over!

Advertisement
I dont get some of you guys. The local media takes massive dumps on UM all the time and tries to bash us at every opportunity. Guy writes an article bashing the NCAA for what they are doing to UM and you jump on him.

I dont get some of you guys. The local media takes massive dumps on UM all the time and tries to bash us at every opportunity. Guy writes an article bashing the NCAA for what they are doing to UM and you jump on him.

Welcome to Miami!!!!

Advertisement
Back