Herald article: NCAA makes mockery of "speedy trial"

I dont get some of you guys. The local media takes massive dumps on UM all the time and tries to bash us at every opportunity. Guy writes an article bashing the NCAA for what they are doing to UM and you jump on him.

Sounds familiar.

Advertisement
I will take this over anything that ****** Manny writes. Between Manny and that idiot Jorge I cant believe AL hasnt pulled their credentials. Those two are fuggin trolls with an audience.

Definitely nice to have a pro piece out there. But I liked it up until "may include one more post season ban" That's impossible.

Quite a bit of Shapiro's fairy tale would need to be true to warrant a 4th post season game suspension, IMO, and all things point to a lot of unsubstantiated allegations.

I dont know/think we get another post season ban, but I think it's obvious that quite a bit of Shapiro's 'fairy tale' is true; if it wasn't we wouldn't have self enforced 2 post season bans already.

Barry Jacksoff has been writing some good stuff for us lately since a few of us dumped all over him for his initial pieces. Congratulations to Greg Choad for jumping in there. Don't like to see that silly "one more bowl ban" crap still finding its way in there, as it's baseless. But at least someone's coming out against the witch hunt.

Definitely nice to have a pro piece out there. But I liked it up until "may include one more post season ban" That's impossible.

Quite a bit of Shapiro's fairy tale would need to be true to warrant a 4th post season game suspension, IMO, and all things point to a lot of unsubstantiated allegations.

I dont know/think we get another post season ban, but I think it's obvious that quite a bit of Shapiro's 'fairy tale' is true; if it wasn't we wouldn't have self enforced 2 post season bans already.

Faulty logic.

Advertisement

Faulty logic.

Please enlighten me to why we self imposed two post season bans? Look, I think Shapiro is a little piece of crap that hoodwinked a lot of people and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that most of what he said is lies, but if at least a good portion of it was not true, why would the school enforce 2 post season bans?

The last line nails it. The NCAA's futile attempt to look as if they are doing this to "be thorough" is a joke. Bottom line is, they want to nail us to the wall and they are having an incredibly difficult time substantiating the evidence in Robinson's sensationalized hit piece, therefore, the "investigation" is running exhaustively.

Faulty logic.

Please enlighten me to why we self imposed two post season bans? Look, I think Shapiro is a little piece of crap that hoodwinked a lot of people and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that most of what he said is lies, but if at least a good portion of it was not true, why would the school enforce 2 post season bans?

No one is saying its all false. We've already had players suspended and restitution paid, so at least part is true. But the last school to receive 3 yr post season ban for improper benefits was OSU in the early 80's and if you read the report there was straight cash payments in the thousands to multiple players, purchased and leased cars, and quite a bit more; most of which was either paid for or arranged by asst coaches.

So even if there was more than steak dinners and drinks, it would still have to be quite a bit more to justify that. Taking the two season, 3 game ban is just a proactive and prudent attempt to almost guarantee we are able to compete this year.

This does all of course hinge on the premise that the NCAA will act logically, which might be a stretch.

Advertisement
I'm not sure why people ever reference the US justice system or the constitution with regards to any of this.

The NCAA is a private organization whose members voluntarily join and agree to adhere by their rules. They are judge, jury, bailiff, and the lady who goes out for sandwiches and more.

It's complete bull****, and they're a joke, but it's futile to try to compare what's going on with us to a criminal or civil court case.

Faulty logic.

I have no idea what percentage of that sniveling weasel's rat manifesto was true. In a legal setting, this garbage never would have seen the light of day, as there are way too many holes in too many of sh1tzero's stories along with the fact that he admitted openly to having a vendetta against UM and hoping to destroy UM.

In this setting, UM made an educated guess as to what would be prudent and safe. They figured the worst case scenario would be two bowl bans, so they took them during seasons where we lost 6 games.

Personally, I don't see where sh1tzero's garbage should lead to any penalties for the reasons stated above. However, UM realizes that even if there isn't anything legally viable there the NCAA doesn't hold itself to the same standards to which courts hold litigants. UM realizes that a 2.5 year witch hunt is going to yield penalties whether there is competent evidence to support the penalties or not. As a result, we took the voluntary bowl hit during seasons where we were barely eligible for post season play.

Forget logic or precedent. I feel like they are going to add another bowl ban just because they can. The NCAA would never want to foster the perception that we got off with a slap on the wrist (regardless of how offbase that perception might be).

Faulty logic.

No one is saying its all false. We've already had players suspended and restitution paid, so at least part is true. But the last school to receive 3 yr post season ban for improper benefits was OSU in the early 80's and if you read the report there was straight cash payments in the thousands to multiple players, purchased and leased cars, and quite a bit more; most of which was either paid for or arranged by asst coaches.

So even if there was more than steak dinners and drinks, it would still have to be quite a bit more to justify that. Taking the two season, 3 game ban is just a proactive and prudent attempt to almost guarantee we are able to compete this year.

This does all of course hinge on the premise that the NCAA will act logically, which might be a stretch.

I agree with what you are saying and maybe I just read your original statement too quickly; I am not suggesting we will or should get anymore post season bans, but rather that some people (not you from your reply) are acting like Miami only committed minimal infractions which is clearly not the case.

Advertisement
The vast majority of athletes implicated by Shapiro no longer are at UM; neither are the head coaches nor department officials under whose watch the problems occurred.

The university administration has pledged complete cooperation with the NCAA, encouraged its implicated personnel to speak openly with investigators and taken steps to shore its rein on boosters.

The two-year self-imposed postseason ban, encompassing two bowl games and a conference championship game, is unprecedented.

Eight implicated players already were suspended a total of 19 games to start the 2011 season.

Golden already is, in effect, self-imposing a reduction in scholarships to be awarded on National Signing Day on Feb. 6. UM’s 13 commitments so far are the fewest of any ACC team and tied for the fewest of any school whose recruiting class presently is ranked in the national top 35 by ESPN.

All of these things add up to a lot and constitute a good-faith model effort by Miami to take its bitter medicine now, to get past this too-long ordeal and move on.

Good stuff by Cote above....

Advertisement
Forget logic or precedent. I feel like they are going to add another bowl ban just because they can. The NCAA would never want to foster the perception that we got off with a slap on the wrist (regardless of how offbase that perception might be).

I agree with this. It was the same theme I tried to post in the long thread recently, that since it's dragged on so long and with public sentiment against Miami, you have to expect the 50/50 calls to go against us.

That's why they are going to take scholarships and issue show causes. There will be no "slap on the wrist". No more bowl bans.

That's why they are going to take scholarships and issue show causes. There will be no "slap on the wrist". No more bowl bans.
It's a perception issue, IMO. I don't think the NCAA will feel like they are winning the PR battle if they do not hand out at least one bowl ban that was not self imposed. They need to flex their muscle so that the Colin Cohwerds of the world don't go off on tangents about how Miami got off easy by self imposing bowl bans, one coming after a 6 - 6 season. Again, I hope I'm wrong but I don't trust these ******** at all.

I dont get some of you guys. The local media takes massive dumps on UM all the time and tries to bash us at every opportunity. Guy writes an article bashing the NCAA for what they are doing to UM and you jump on him.
I appreciate it BUT when all they have been doing is that ^^^^ it comes across as too little too late and where were you when everyone was throwing molotov ****tails at us.

Advertisement
Back