Herald Article (Diaz)

Funny he mentioned the WVU game because after the game all my friends, family and I talked about was how the defense seemed to hit another gear and take on a totally different persona. :newman:

Advertisement
Defense was very good last year, but there is still areas where improvement can be made. I think we need to get better pressuring the QB with just our front 4, we also gave up some big plays last year, that needs to stop. But man, it was nice to enjoy watching this team play defense again, seems like its been a long time since that was the case.

LB pass coverage can and will improve this year. With McCloud progressing and Shaq playing faster, we should be **** scary. In the games we lost last season, we struggled in pass defense in the middle third and the front four as you guys stated lacked enough pressure on the QB without bringing the fifth defender.

I want to see this team take it to the next level.
Causing fumbles/ scoop and scores and Interception pick sixes.
That is when we can call this team elite on defense.That is what made Alabama so good last year. They were able to score on defense and special teams and stomp the hope out of their opponents before the first quarter was ended.

We saw flashes of that particularly in the Ga tech game when we scored two quick ones on defense and basically killed their chances.
I am hoping to see a lot more of that in 2017. That is when I truly think this defense will be elite.

And I think that's what he was inferring when talking about "winning defense" and that yards allowed doesn't tell the whole story. We were 93rd in the nation last year in interceptions. Gotta take the ball away more.

Also, another poster mentioned getting to the QB more with just our front four. I'd like to see us near the top 10 in sacks this year. Let's go from good/great defense to elite. More sacks lead to more fumbles forced and takeaway opportunities.

Winning defense is going to next level on 3rd down %. Lots of signs point to this improving.

Really can't wait to see the different wrinkles. WOO!

No coincidence that the light coming on for McCloud in the WV game caused our defense to look dominate. He is the 2nd biggest piece of the D behind either Norton or McIntosh stepping up and being dominate. McClouds versatility will allow Diaz to do some many other things with Shaq and Pinckney. You can blitz him, drop him in coverage, have him cover TEs, have him cover the flats..

Thats what made Patrick Willis so dominate. Because Navarro Bowman was the swiss army knife. All Pat had to do was hit stick and bust dyck and not have to worry about anything else. Same with Jesse Armstead being that guy for Michael Barrow... I see that same role for Shaq with the progression of McCloud.

Advertisement
Winning defense is going to next level on 3rd down %. Lots of signs point to this improving.

Really can't wait to see the different wrinkles. WOO!

Good point, Lu. Gotta get off the field on 3rd down. We were 53rd in 3rd down defense last season. Opponents were converting 3rd down at 38.57% against us. Top 15 was 32.85% for reference.

We need a ballhawk in the secondary.

For as good as Elder was he didn't make many interceptions, he'd usually drop them.

Don't have the highest hopes for Jaquan and Redwine. They'll be steady but not an upgrade from Carter/Jenkins.

We need a ballhawk in the secondary.

For as good as Elder was he didn't make many interceptions, he'd usually drop them.

Don't have the highest hopes for Jaquan and Redwine. They'll be steady but not an upgrade from Carter/Jenkins.

Why not for Jaquan? I think he is a playmaker.

Linebacker depth came a long way in a year.
We are 3 deep at all postions there now

Mccloud
Perry
Wilder

Quarterman
Mike smith
Bj Jennings

Pinckney
Owens
Gordinier
Steed jr

Good depth

If Gordinier is healthy, he will be #2 at WILL. Moves better, extremely smart, and better in pass coverage.
I could see Owens sliding over to middle.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back