Herald Article (Diaz)

Advertisement
Linebacker depth came a long way in a year.
We are 3 deep at all postions there now

Mccloud
Perry
Wilder

Quarterman
Mike smith
Bj Jennings

Pinckney
Owens
Gordinier
Steed jr

Good depth

“The most important thing is winning defense”

giphy (1).gif

Advertisement
I'll be honest, when he was hired I was completely skeptical. His defenses have been all over the place. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Very happy to be wrong about this hire. He's been a huge success so far.

We're finally back on defense. Should win any game where our offense can produce 20 points or more.

I'll be honest, when he was hired I was completely skeptical. His defenses have been all over the place. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Very happy to be wrong about this hire. He's been a huge success so far.

Having coach Kul work wonders on the dline this time around for him changes everything.

Advertisement
I'm anxious to see what he can do with this group with another year of coaching under their belt, more depth, more talent, etc... Those stats of what he and the defense accomplished in one year are astonishing!

Defense was very good last year, but there is still areas where improvement can be made. I think we need to get better pressuring the QB with just our front 4, we also gave up some big plays last year, that needs to stop. But man, it was nice to enjoy watching this team play defense again, seems like its been a long time since that was the case.

Advertisement
Defense was very good last year, but there is still areas where improvement can be made. I think we need to get better pressuring the QB with just our front 4, we also gave up some big plays last year, that needs to stop. But man, it was nice to enjoy watching this team play defense again, seems like its been a long time since that was the case.

So true. Now, when I am watching last seasons games I'm primarily watching the defense. The last several I had to skip it and watch the offense.

Advertisement
Next year I hope we send Pinckney and Silvera. Two dudes with major confidence and swag. This is a pipe dream but maybe the following year there is a chance. I know Richt would never send these two LOL.

Well Carter's off the field now sooooo

The depth we're establishing on defense is reminiscent to the glory days. This is what championship football looks like.

The DL already had some good athletes but not good football players. Kool comes in and turns them into 1st round talent. Joe Jackson last year and hopefully DJ Johnson this year helps bring fresh blood to the front while keeping the depth alive.

We struck gold with 3 stud freshmen LB's allowing the would be starters to now be solid depth players. How awesome is that. Freshmen can now redshirt and develop...yeah haven't read those words in a while.

DB depth was hurting but with some top end transfers we will be able to field a strong unit. The real magic happens next year when the '18 commits come in. Hopefully they have a similar impact to the trio of LB's that started last season.

I fully expect us to compete for playoff spot next season (top 10 finish) and finally break through with a sophomore Perry leading the team to a title game in 2018-2019.

I want to see this team take it to the next level.
Causing fumbles/ scoop and scores and Interception pick sixes.
That is when we can call this team elite on defense.That is what made Alabama so good last year. They were able to score on defense and special teams and stomp the hope out of their opponents before the first quarter was ended.

We saw flashes of that particularly in the Ga tech game when we scored two quick ones on defense and basically killed their chances.
I am hoping to see a lot more of that in 2017. That is when I truly think this defense will be elite.

Advertisement
Back