Head Coaches Who Call The Plays On Defense

Advertisement
Manny does nothing with the offense and rarely does anything with the refs. I don't recall him following guys to the bench and coaching them in-game other than a butt slap or helmet tap as they walk by. He also doesn't punish guys in game and chew them out for dumb things.

He has plenty of time to call the D.

FYI if Diaz somehow pulls off 9-4/10-3 next year he’s back no matter what. Coastal or no coastal our BOT and Blake James won’t make that call unless were 6-6 or 7-5 regular season.
no coach gets fired if they go 10-3. but hes gotta go 10-3

Advertisement
I disagree. Personally I think him keeping Baker on staff and calling plays won’t work out. But if he hits 9-wins next year regardless, he’s not going anywhere.

baker has a year left on his deal. i dont think hes gonna be around after this year.

regarding wins, no coach is gonna get fired going 10 wins nor should they. he has to actually win 10 games tho and i think wed get a new DC bc yes even if it works out, i dont think him calling the defenses year in and year out is sustainable

Advertisement
Like I said “ win win “
Lol I wish, In reality if we win 8/9 games I don't see any way that's positive for us. There is literally zero chance our ***** *** AD is firing Diaz (probably no matter what) unless forced to do so (or he gets fired too). So what will get the even higher ups to fire Diaz? 6 wins, should do it. But what happens if we make the ACC Championship game and get blown out by Clemson again? That'll probably get Diaz a ******* extension!
And if he does bad this year and only gets 8 wins, I think he'll just fire Baker (blaming the LB struggles solely on him), hire a DC and and **** Lashlee may be trying to move on himself by then...

I guess you just have more faith in our BOT/President. I have zero. What we need is a president who was as involved as Shalala, but actually ******* good and demands excellence...

Zimmer calls plays. He’s too big of a control freak to let his own kid do it.
Yeah Zim runs the defense. He had a down year but can’t blame him. Defense was decimated by injuries and we lost a bunch of guys last offseason on defense and rolled out 2 rookie CBs. Lost a starting safety, 2 starting CBs (although Rhodes was washed up), our 3rd CB due to injury all season, DT (who was very good)and one of the best dlineman in the league in Hunter to an injury before the season. Zimmer has earned a couple chances IMO. Better than several of the **** coaches we’ve had in the last 15 years or so.
Side note - I think there is a high probability they grab Rousseau if the Vikes aren’t against taking guys that opt out (which is a possibility).

It's a bet on himself. As a business owner I do this everyday. If you fail no one to blame but yourself.
That's the right train of thought, but you are the OWNER...there's no one to report up to. Whether Manny felt his odds were better betting on himself SHOULD be irrelevant in this case. The AD, BOT, someone up above should've stepped in and nixed this. But as we all know, not enough of them care enough as long as the checks keep coming in.

It’s a one year deal now basically. Win and he’ll get an extension. Don’t win and see ya
I wish that were true, but I don't see Manny not getting a 4th year unless he wins less than 7 games. **** he's already got an excuse in his back pocket if King is full go for next season. Couple that with he'll probably agree to give up play calling and the lack of administration involvement, we know how this will end up.

Advertisement
Yeah Zim runs the defense. He had a down year but can’t blame him. Defense was decimated by injuries and we lost a bunch of guys last offseason on defense and rolled out 2 rookie CBs. Lost a starting safety, 2 starting CBs (although Rhodes was washed up), our 3rd CB due to injury all season, DT (who was very good)and one of the best dlineman in the league in Hunter to an injury before the season. Zimmer has earned a couple chances IMO. Better than several of the **** coaches we’ve had in the last 15 years or so.
Side note - I think there is a high probability they grab Rousseau if the Vikes aren’t against taking guys that opt out (which is a possibility).
I’m a lifelong Vikings fan, so I know what caused the major struggles for them this year. I wouldn’t mind if they took GR but I’d prefer they trade back. If he tests well I’d imagine they’d fall in love with him or possibly even Phillips.

Lashlee will be our head coach in 2022. At least interim.
That is concerning as well. IF Manny truly gave full autonomy to Lashlee and he still rolled out Pope/Wiggins...that is a problem too. Maybe Manny was so focused on helping the D, he didn't step in and tell Lashlee to change up the rotation/snap counts? This is where Manny the HC needs to be managing things, not calling plays.

Makes me feel like Lashlee might be doing a lot of the head coach role on gameday. Well, hoping, anyway. He's auditioning for it anyway.
Might be a bit premature but I would love to see Lashlee get a shot as a HC at the U. Really like what I've seen from him so far. From the energy on the sideline to the playcalling. He doesn't let up the gas and was always on top of the players even when we we're leading by 3+ touchdowns, giving them an earful when they made mistakes. Manny meanwhile is doing slip and slides.

Advertisement
You guys are lying to yourselves if you think Manny gets fired with an 8-9 win season. Just not gonna happen and you should probably accept that now.

I expect us to win 10+ but y’all are tripping if you think he gets fired for a win or 2 less than that. Porsters and the shïtty mods can make thousands of threads/posts crying about it and it won’t change anything.

Right or wrong, teams don’t fire coaches in year 3 for 8/9 win seasons, no matter what fan expectations are. We will have to regress in win total before it’s even considered IMO.

Help me out here. I'm kind of stumped.

We all know of the litany of Head Coaches who call the plays on offense, but I'm coming up short thinking of Head Men who do it on defense. I know in the NFL Rex Ryan and Lovie Smith did it for a minute. Belichik would do it from time to time. Vrabel and Rivera as well.

Are there any examples at the College level? Manny is entering rare territory here.
How many of them have a fake DC while they are doing the work?

FYI if Diaz somehow pulls off 9-4/10-3 next year he’s back no matter what. Coastal or no coastal our BOT and Blake James won’t make that call unless were 6-6 or 7-5 regular season.
We don't have much success with dudes named Blake.

Like I said “ win win “
I don't know why more people aren't looking at it like this. If you think Manny is the problem then he just accelerated his departure by these moves. If he got an average DC that decision might have been delayed a year or two. This is perfect because everyone will know where we stand after this year.

Advertisement
Back