Head Coaches Who Call The Plays On Defense

This may have been why he gave Jess Simpson the Associate HC duties, so he can worry about in game adjustments, while Simpson deals with game management stuff and just refer to him to when TO, kick or not, etc.
Makes me feel like Lashlee might be doing a lot of the head coach role on gameday. Well, hoping, anyway. He's auditioning for it anyway.

Advertisement
Mike Zimmer did for sometime with the Vikings. Don't know if he still does it. Wade Phillips did it too.

The only college coach that I could find who does/did it is Justin Wilcox at Cal
Zimmer calls plays. He’s too big of a control freak to let his own kid do it.

Advertisement
Help me out here. I'm kind of stumped.

We all know of the litany of Head Coaches who call the plays on offense, but I'm coming up short thinking of Head Men who do it on defense. I know in the NFL Rex Ryan and Lovie Smith did it for a minute. Belichik would do it from time to time. Vrabel and Rivera as well.

Are there any examples at the College level? Manny is entering rare territory here.

Vrabel did it this year and the titans defense sucked. Hard to be head coach and main play caller

So tired of the cycle of coaches we've had here trying for "Proof of concept". Randy and his draconic style didn't work and refused to change. Golden and his love affair with NoD. Now Manny and his love for Baker. I mean how hard is it to look at history and not see that you're following the same futile path that all the others went down. It's a U sickness that can only be fixed by a big nasty AD who will slit a ******* throat when he needs to. Give up historical numbers and in the end NOBODY lost their job. Can't fire your buddies, so just move them laterally. Weak, just really weak.

If it's generally accepted that the team's sudden defensive improvement late in games is the result of Manny calling plays, then he can obviously do that successfully as a head coach.

Advertisement
Don’t mean to misspeak, but I believe LCE or Cribby said Manny was calling some games towards the end of the season already. So him doing it going forward is nothing.

Help me out here. I'm kind of stumped.

We all know of the litany of Head Coaches who call the plays on offense, but I'm coming up short thinking of Head Men who do it on defense. I know in the NFL Rex Ryan and Lovie Smith did it for a minute. Belichik would do it from time to time. Vrabel and Rivera as well.

Are there any examples at the College level? Manny is entering rare territory here.

Can you start a thread on "Coordinators who get demoted to doing nothing while retaining full salary and benefits"?

He was probably already calling plays in the 2nd half of games all season. Blake was a scrub and couldn't adjust. When we looked better its more than likely because Manny intervened.

Advertisement
Makes me feel like Lashlee might be doing a lot of the head coach role on gameday. Well, hoping, anyway. He's auditioning for it anyway.
You're probabaly right.
Defensive coaches don't have time management down as well as a former QB or an OCs.

Don’t mean to misspeak, but I believe LCE or Cribby said Manny was calling some games towards the end of the season already. So him doing it going forward is nothing.
Half the board knew that was happening and commented on it. It was pretty obvious. Difference is, he did it when needed in select games.

Now hes doing it full time. Big time difference.

Advertisement
Half the board knew that was happening and commented on it. It was pretty obvious. Difference is, he did it when needed in select games.

Now hes doing it full time. Big time difference.
Good points, however it didn’t work when he did it towards the end of the year. Additionally he said he heavily involved in the D and in all their meetings. So I respectfully disagree. Hope I’m proven wrong

Manny taking over playcalling is what it is. He’s betting on himself. I get it. But it’s outrageous to keep baker and patke on staff just because they are his boys. Neither of them can recruit. And linebackers have been arguably our worst coached group. If he doesn’t trust anybody to run his defense why not bring in a linebackers coach that can actually recruit.

Advertisement
Back