Head Coaches Who Call The Plays On Defense

Help me out here. I'm kind of stumped.

We all know of the litany of Head Coaches who call the plays on offense, but I'm coming up short thinking of Head Men who do it on defense. I know in the NFL Rex Ryan and Lovie Smith did it for a minute. Belichik would do it from time to time. Vrabel and Rivera as well.

Are there any examples at the College level? Manny is entering rare territory here.

Advertisement
Here are some power 5 conference defensive head coaches. I don't know how many call their own defenses.

ACC (6 of 14):
Manny
Pat Narduzzi
Jeff Hafley
Geoff Collins
Dave Dorean
Bronco Mendenhall

Big12 (3 of 10):
Dave Aranda
Chris Klieman
Gary Patterson

BigTen (4 of 14):
Tom Allen
Mel Tucker
Pat Fitzgerald
Greg Schiano

Independent (1 of 7):
Kalani Sitake

Pac12 (4 of 12):
Herm Edwards
Justin Wilcox
Kyle Whittingham
Jimmy Lake

SEC (5 of 14):
Nick Saban
Kirby Smart
Mark Stoops
Jeremy Pruitt
Clark Lea

Three defensive coaches were fired this year: Lovie Smith, Will Muschamp and Derek Mason (only Mason was replaced by another defensive coach in Clark Lea).

So much of a defensive coordinator's job is adjusting in-game. Luckily for Manny, he doesn't have to manage the game or make executive decisions. So he'll have plenty of time to play chess with OCs. We also have an extensive analyst infrastructure to help with game management, oversight, and other duties a Head Coach typically handles.

Advertisement
Help me out here. I'm kind of stumped.

We all know of the litany of Head Coaches who call the plays on offense, but I'm coming up short thinking of Head Men who do it on defense. I know in the NFL Rex Ryan and Lovie Smith did it for a minute. Belichik would do it from time to time. Vrabel and Rivera as well.

Are there any examples at the College level? Manny is entering rare territory here.

Ron Rivera. I don't know any other HC that calls the D plays. I think Quinn did also (and didnt end well).

So much of a defensive coordinator's job is adjusting in-game. Luckily for Manny, he doesn't have to manage the game or make executive decisions. So he'll have plenty of time to play chess with OCs. We also have an extensive analyst infrastructure to help with game management, oversight, and other duties a Head Coach typically handles.
zNP85pW.gif

Advertisement
I can't remember who said it (maybe Pete Carroll), but a big-time coach said it's much harder for a head coach to double as the DC than OC.

It's much less common than HC/OCs.

What you did there, I see it.

Mike Zimmer did for sometime with the Vikings. Don't know if he still does it. Wade Phillips did it too.

The only college coach that I could find who does/did it is Justin Wilcox at Cal

This may have been why he gave Jess Simpson the Associate HC duties, so he can worry about in game adjustments, while Simpson deals with game management stuff and just refer to him to when TO, kick or not, etc.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back