Votes: 22 9.8%
  • Jamey Chadwell

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Matt Campbell

Votes: 34 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement
so we roll the dice again and then wait another 3 years for success or failure....sigh!

Howard started it all, get some NFL OC (Eric Bieniemy)
or DC (Don Martindale) if they want to be here. Either that or JJ came from Ok St get Gundy!
You should start a Gundy thread.

Great questions.

I think Texas is an extremely tough place to build a champion.

The external expectations are insane, possibly the hardest in the country, and the culture surrounding the program seems to be a lot of rich, selfish and inflated egos. The only reason Mack Brown succeeded is because he had arguably the best college QB ever and a second guy who was phenomenal in his own right. Outside of those years Texas has been the Georgia of the B12, even with all the money in the world and unilateral domination on recruiting (at that time). Brown made it harder to do the job by raising expectations while burning bridges and making recruiting the state harder. That job is cutthroat and friendless. In short, Texas ruins people.

I like Herman as a play caller and a developer. He’s a serious football mind that isn’t that far removed from being at the front of the game schematically. The only place he didn’t succeed was Texas, but I obviously don’t pin that all on him. He made Houston think it was a P5 player all by himself. The only knock on him there is how he finished his last season, but he was already heading out of town. He recruited well, developed well and got the most out of his offensive players there. D’Eriq King under Herman would be a much better player than under Lashlee.

I also think Herman coaches with a chip on his shoulder, which fits Miami like a glove. The guy loves to **** people off, and I think Texas robbed him of being the wild card. He had to conform to the mountain range of expectations. Miami is a mole hill by comparison.

The risk with him is that he isn’t hungry anymore, that Texas genuinely killed his imagination and drive. That may be the case and we would have a younger, slightly more capable Richt on our hands if so. But all of these cats have risk, no matter who they are, and while he isn’t my first choice he’s in the top 5 for sure.
One other thing I like about Herman is he had very good offenses at both Houston and Texas. Offense has been our biggest plague since 2002, so if he could get us rolling on offense, I’m a little more confident we could find a decent DC to straighten up our defense.

Great questions.

I think Texas is an extremely tough place to build a champion.

The external expectations are insane, possibly the hardest in the country, and the culture surrounding the program seems to be a lot of rich, selfish and inflated egos. The only reason Mack Brown succeeded is because he had arguably the best college QB ever and a second guy who was phenomenal in his own right. Outside of those years Texas has been the Georgia of the B12, even with all the money in the world and unilateral domination on recruiting (at that time). Brown made it harder to do the job by raising expectations while burning bridges and making recruiting the state harder. That job is cutthroat and friendless. In short, Texas ruins people.

I like Herman as a play caller and a developer. He’s a serious football mind that isn’t that far removed from being at the front of the game schematically. The only place he didn’t succeed was Texas, but I obviously don’t pin that all on him. He made Houston think it was a P5 player all by himself. The only knock on him there is how he finished his last season, but he was already heading out of town. He recruited well, developed well and got the most out of his offensive players there. D’Eriq King under Herman would be a much better player than under Lashlee.

I also think Herman coaches with a chip on his shoulder, which fits Miami like a glove. The guy loves to **** people off, and I think Texas robbed him of being the wild card. He had to conform to the mountain range of expectations. Miami is a mole hill by comparison.

The risk with him is that he isn’t hungry anymore, that Texas genuinely killed his imagination and drive. That may be the case and we would have a younger, slightly more capable Richt on our hands if so. But all of these cats have risk, no matter who they are, and while he isn’t my first choice he’s in the top 5 for sure.

Are you sure you aren't Herman's agent? Of course not, but you should be part of his PR team.

Herman would be a gamble as well. That or he wasn't a fit at Texas.

The problem I have with that is saying only negatives about Texas. They have a **** load of positives that only a handful of schools have.

Even if you take those negatives to explain away why Herman wasn't a good fit, that's fine. They need someone who uses all those positives they do have. Same as we do here, it's about fit.

Bottomline, every school needs a guy who finds a way to get it done. One that can do it anywhere. I don't think that's Herman, I could be wrong, but when you have all the advantages Texas does and can't get it done, that's a tough sell for me. We don't have anything close to what they have.

Advertisement
Also a few guys I had to leave off the poll because there weren’t enough slots:

Hugh Freeze (seems like slim chances with his shady history)

Jeff Hafley (maybe, but seems like he needs a few more yrs to prove himself first)

Mike Leach/Butch Davis (in the words of Rick James “milks gone bad!”)

Also a few guys I had to leave off the poll because there weren’t enough slots:

Hugh Freeze (seems like slim chances with his shady history)

Jeff Hafley (maybe, but seems like he needs a few more yrs to prove himself first)

Mike Leach/Butch Davis (in the words of Rick James “milks gone bad!”)
I think I would have put Freeze in, instead of Campbell and Schiano. We won’t get Freeze bc of the school. We won’t get the other two bc they won’t leave those jobs for Miami from what it seems. A lot of us have said Freeze. It would be interesting to see where he would fall on the poll.

The only coaches we are going to attract have risks…. There are only like 5 coaches that consistently win. Everyone else is trying to find the next one. These are all significant upgrades. A coach that can win the games he’s supposed to raises our ceiling by about 5 wins honestly

Yea, Herman is an automatic no for me. Saw on another board from someone in the know that he was sleeping with members of the AD, had some coke issues and also there’s the whole swingers stuff with him and his wife. Plus I feel like @SouthParkCane said the kids from Houston didn’t rock with him after the way he left. Easy pass on that guy. Seems like a real piece of work.

Advertisement
I was curious what the masses are thinking. Select the top 3 coaches you’d hire next at Miami and for anyone not listed, comment below.
#1-O’Brien who you didn’t have as a option
#2-clawson who would have us in playoffs next year with the talent on the roster assuming there isn’t a mass exodus to the portal
#3-the bc hc but his next destination is the nfl so kiffin.

i bet it’s kiffin unless mario wants to come back

#4-mario, he has a pipeline into Californias best and much more resources from Oregon then he would at miami without a true commitment from bot and president. If mario wants back he will be the first offer then kiffin who is a better hc then mario

If we want to rule college football again (or at least be relevant) we need to go big or go home.

$25 per game ticket avg price increase and we've got another $6M on top of the $5-6M we've been paying to Manny & crew. Get a few boosters to kick in $500k each for another few million. $15M a year for HC, staff, support staff, analysts and now were cooking with Crisco.

Make some NFL HCs say no to us before looking at all these retreads on the list above.

John Harbaugh (hot start probably makes this 0.00% chance).
Sean Payton (Saints suck and he's saddled with Crab Legs at QB)
Doug Pederson (fired from Philly)
Mike Zimmer (perennial hotseat when all he does is make the playoffs with garbage)

Next grouping would be:

Herman
Stoops

For fun factor:

Freeze
Kiffen
So you suggest offering current NFL head coaches (other than Harbaugh) the Miami job? You really think an NFL head coach is going to give one of 30 jobs in the world to be the HC at the University of Miami?

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

Advertisement
I like Bill O’Brien as a name to consider. NFL HC, offensive minded, uses TE a lot in his offenses. Currently learning under Saban after learning under Belicheck earlier in his career. Certainly knows what a winning organization/program should look like.
That would be a home run **** that is possibly a grand slam

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back