Head Coach Candidates?

Spot on with this.

I had a little huddle last night at the game with a few Columbus alums connected to Mario & his staff in different ways. It has been allude to here many times by insiders like the artist formerly known as Cribby & others - Mario was ****ed about how things went down when Manny was hired & they all felt to a man, ship has sailed. The left the window open of him at least listening if money is right, structure of the program is right (Alonzo a good evaluator of talent - what he does, but needs someone to run the day to day of an Athletic Director. He only wants to focus on football). Working the wife & family angle & support structure in place along with the money (no hometown discount) and he will think about it. That’s where we are with Mario. The money will be substantial & we will find out how serious UM is about football one way or another whether it’s Mario or some other candidate that is worth a ****!

Again, I am not an insider but what I heard last night. I don’t know what is fact from fiction. I know others here know people better connect or are a part of that circle.
I just think you're all setting yourselves up to fail with the Mario stuff.

Let him do his thing in Eugene. Let's find someone else - there's plenty of viable options.

Advertisement
If Cristobal doesn't want to come home, my choice is Hafley and I think he's a considerably better option than the other usual group of names.

He is smart enough to hire the right staff and navigate South Florida. Recruiting won't be an issue.

He breathed new life into a totally lifeless BC program - he would light this place on fire. Unlike Manny, he can talk the talk and walk the walk. Roster building, hiring the right staff, X's and O's on game-days - he is the total package.
My only concern is that he's been a HC for five minutes.

Don't get me wrong he's off to a great start, but to me we can't afford to **** this hire up. We have to get an experienced hand in here.

What's the idea of Dan Lanning being a value option to spend big on offensive staff. With him you get linebacker recruiting and coaching. You could keep TRob and Simpson. Then dedicate bigger budget to offensive overhaul mainly O line coach. I like his defense at Georgia. Hate the team but they are prepared and play hard

Bill Clark
Mario Cristobal (If a donor steps up and makes the money work)
Chris Petersen(If he isn't truly retired and is ready to work)
Kellen Moore or Eric Bieniemy(The ONLY coordinators I'll tolerate have to be NFL guys)

Thats my short list. I'm also willing to interview Neal Brown at WVU, and if Matt Campbell at ISU shows any interest, you take that meeting.
No to Peterson. We tried that with richt. And Peterson runs the bro style. I like your other ones tho. Kellen Moore is intriguing

Advertisement
What's the idea of Dan Lanning being a value option to spend big on offensive staff. With him you get linebacker recruiting and coaching. You could keep TRob and Simpson. Then dedicate bigger budget to offensive overhaul mainly O line coach. I like his defense at Georgia. Hate the team but they are prepared and play hard
How much of that is Kirby tho? And it’s a 3-4. May not be a good fit. Agree on your positive points tho

Mario is the only high profile coach who would consider Miami, only because of his personal connection to the school and South Florida.

Miami is a small school and a **** program that hasn’t been relevant for 20 years. Miami has terrible alum support, a BOT comprised of limousine liberals who couldn’t care less about the football program, and the team commutes 45 minutes to home games.

(And no bag men network)

The ACC is a **** conference that has proven to be a coaching graveyard.

A lot of wives would have a problem moving their family to Dade County.

Outside of insane financial incentives, which we know Miami will not offer, very little draw.

In this context, which I like to call reality, Mario would be an excellent hire.
This. There are 20 names out there we "could" get. Mario is the most likely to succeed. Not saying others wouldn't be better but Mario's floor is higher than all the others. I don't care if I am setting myself up for failure, he is my only choice, anyone else that has been seriously mentioned in this thread has a high amount of risk for the reasons listed above.

Remove James (move him or fire him) and bring in Mario. Those two things would have this fan base fired up like we were playing ND on a Saturday night in 2017.

Last edited:
How much of that is Kirby tho? And it’s a 3-4. May not be a good fit. Agree on your positive points tho
They have built up that the Glenn Schuman or however you spell his name is the x's & o's guru of the defense and will be their DC when Lanning takes a HC job. Thinking would be to hopefully poach him too and make him DC. I'm not married to the 3-4 set and seems that a lot of our players would be better served in a 3-4 set. I just want a well prepared nasty defense. Offense is a **** bucket. At least with a nasty defense the games could be borderline manageable to watch

Bill Clark
Mario Cristobal (If a donor steps up and makes the money work)
Chris Petersen(If he isn't truly retired and is ready to work)
Kellen Moore or Eric Bieniemy(The ONLY coordinators I'll tolerate have to be NFL guys)

Thats my short list. I'm also willing to interview Neal Brown at WVU, and if Matt Campbell at ISU shows any interest, you take that meeting.
I read up on Neal Brown - there's rumblings that he's conservative as all **** and hasn't pushed WVU on at all. That said he got an extension recently.

Advertisement
If not Mario, in order:

Lane Kiffin
Luke Fickell
Dave Clawson
Dave Aranda
Bill Clark
Jeff Hafley
Mark Stoops
Jeff Traylor
Greg Schiano

Going to be interesting to see if there's any temperature change around here and Luigi after he loses at UCLA in a couple of weeks. We're talking about him as some elite coach but let's see if we hold him to that standard prior to even theoretically "breaking the (relative to UM) bank" in an attempt to get him.

Somebody had mentioned Dan Quinn ... there is a football coach. NFL head coaching experience, along with NFL coordinator experience. Knows how to deal with elite athletes .. men. Also college coordinator experience. Guy would really resonate with parents .. telling them he could really develop their sons to have their best shot at making the league.

Advertisement
I just think you're all setting yourselves up to fail with the Mario stuff.

Let him do his thing in Eugene. Let's find someone else - there's plenty of viable options.
You would agree you have to try, correct?

If you try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try & he says no, then you move on.

Advertisement
If not Mario, in order:

Lane Kiffin
Luke Fickell
Dave Clawson
Dave Aranda
Bill Clark
Jeff Hafley
Mark Stoops
Jeff Traylor
Greg Schiano
I’d be on board with anyone of these guys. Personally I have Fickell lower, I’m nervous about Midwest guys after Golden.

It makes me so irate at the number of good competent coaches out there that make similar to less than Manny Diaz

I could list them all, but who cares

In particular watching Pittman at Arkansas and Tucker at MSU are the most depressing

I wish I could make myself not care

Kiffin signed an extension in January, and is paid more than Mario. Not sure of the buyout.
Tells you how big of a fvck up by Blake 3 years ago when he could’ve interviewed Mario, Lane, Schiano, etc, etc. Hiring Manny could essentially be the final nail in the coffin of Miami. (Randy 1, Al 2, Richt 3, Manny 4).

Advertisement
Back