HC Mario Cristobal interview with 247Sports Cooper Petagna & Andrew Ivins

I think you are mixing up the impact to players vs. coaches.

The issue of "recruiting" puts a very different spin on the job of the coaches. Even though they might not have to spend as many hours at PRACTICE, the job of recruiting is now 24-7-365.
Sure. But it reminds me of the Steve Spurrier story. He said that in college, he could run the same play for 4-5 weeks until it was figured out compared to the pros, where it was figured out the next half.

Advertisement
You’ve got the time limitations in college but the NFL isn’t over working their guys either and honestly stays close to that by design. They pay their players to study film and prepare on their own.

There are more games to prepare for in the NFL.. that is something of note. Certainly debatable. I also remember Urban Meyer saying that every week in the NFL was like game week preparing for Alabama. But that’s using a college model in the NFL. True NFL guys and lifers have it down to a science and don’t overwork themselves and it’s more efficient and data driven game prep.

Also in college you’re monitoring grades for your position group, attendance, are they going out at night, and talking to their family on a weekly basis.. basically babysitting 10-15 guys.

Someone who has coached at both levels, currently in the SEC, said he put in about 80 hours a week in-season in the NFL and had 6 weeks completely off work with no responsibilities. About 40 hours a week the rest of the year. In college he works about 100 hours a week in season (7 days a week 5am to 8pm) 70 hours a week the other 8 months, and had 4 days off in February and 3 days off in May. That was it.

Most entry level guys and position coaches in college are weeded out and totally burnt out in February (used to be February - probably both signing days now) and June with the camps, visit period, evaluation and offer period. You don’t make any money unless you work camps every day/weekend as a GA. Easily 120 hours a week if you’re doing what they want you to do and if you want consideration to move up.
Thanks for the explanation, brother.

You’ve got the time limitations in college but the NFL isn’t over working their guys either and honestly stays close to that by design. They pay their players to study film and prepare on their own.

There are more games to prepare for in the NFL.. that is something of note. Certainly debatable. I also remember Urban Meyer saying that every week in the NFL was like game week preparing for Alabama. But that’s using a college model in the NFL. True NFL guys and lifers have it down to a science and don’t overwork themselves and it’s more efficient and data driven game prep.

Also in college you’re monitoring grades for your position group, attendance, are they going out at night, and talking to their family on a weekly basis.. basically babysitting 10-15 guys.

Someone who has coached at both levels, currently in the SEC, said he put in about 80 hours a week in-season in the NFL and had 6 weeks completely off work with no responsibilities. About 40 hours a week the rest of the year. In college he works about 100 hours a week in season (7 days a week 5am to 8pm) 70 hours a week the other 8 months, and had 4 days off in February and 3 days off in May. That was it.

Most entry level guys and position coaches in college are weeded out and totally burnt out in February (used to be February - probably both signing days now) and June with the camps, visit period, evaluation and offer period. You don’t make any money unless you work camps every day/weekend as a GA. Easily 120 hours a week if you’re doing what they want you to do and if you want consideration to move up.
That sounds horrible

Paging @Confidence1000 , please get to your squad car asap
I know if the 🐐calling me it’s serious! I tell u what? Ain’t no immunity or nuthin being granted! U could’ve used a lot of different phrases but u wanted to be direct! U could’ve drove around the block b4 u pulled in the garage but u pulled st8 in (PAUSE) u see how I did that? (PAUSE) again! So with that said I find u guilty in the pause court of law & I sentence u to be banned for 2 weeks! Now get him out my courtroom 🐐

Advertisement
Sure. But it reminds me of the Steve Spurrier story. He said that in college, he could run the same play for 4-5 weeks until it was figured out compared to the pros, where it was figured out the next half.
I also think that was a different time and college programs have a lot more resources now. Back when Spurrier went to the NFL he got a huge pay bump and it was unheard of for a college coach to make more than an NFL coach. Now you probably have a dozen coaches making the same/more than Doug Pederson who is the 11th highest paid coach in the NFL at $8.5M a year.

Great interview per usual with Mario. Listening to him makes me believe if it doesn't work with Mario, it will never work here again. He's that determined. My key takeaways that weren't already mentioned:
- Mario would rather build a team through HS recruiting than the transfer portal. Per Mario, 7-12 a year in the transfer portal is the sweet spot.
- Mario picked Dawson to match Miami's personnel. Not for Miami to match Dawson.
- Said Francis and Samson check every box for a blue chip player.
- Spoke very highly of Emory Williams and how he's a student of the game.
- Overall, he took some shots at his former staff. I think Mario pivoted from all star resumes (Broyles awards, SEC, etc.) to all star grinders. He said it several times, college jobs are brutal from the amount of work and time you have to put in.
This is only true if the people with money wont support the coaches that come after him. He’s not some savior lol we’ve just been bull****tin before him

Advertisement
This is going to sound weird so pause in advance just in case.. but he's got the lower half of a 330 pound nose tackle and the upper body of a linebacker. Very weird/unique build. Thick in the ***. Belicheck probably already planning on drafting him. Then has the twitch of the slim south Florida edge rushers like Brian Burns or Patrick Payton.
Agreed. One of the most uniquely built dudes we’ve recruited in a while. I’m near certainty he’s gonna be a star.

Wondering if his comments at the end about guys going to NFL jobs from college was a shot at Rod Wright... weeding guys out that can't handle the calendar of college football and the recruiting effort.

Rod Wright cried his first day of Dolphins training camp

He soft

Agreed. One of the most uniquely built dudes we’ve recruited in a while. I’m near certainty he’s gonna be a star.

He’s got a Hugh Douglas build if you remember him on the Jets

Brandon Graham from Mich is another guy that comes to mind

i didnt watch so ill need context, but its ironic to take shots at dudes you hired in the first place. either way, changes were made.
Thank you!! You created the mess. Just move on and hope this new staff is better.

Advertisement
They got that boy on them $EC shakes followed by bathing in deer antler spray like
GIF by AS Roma

Pause

So why would a coach want college over the NFL? Sheer number of opportunities? I’d imagine the pay like for like (ie same role) is better in the NFL?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back