HC Mario Cristobal interview with 247Sports Cooper Petagna & Andrew Ivins

Great interview per usual with Mario. Listening to him makes me believe if it doesn't work with Mario, it will never work here again. He's that determined. My key takeaways that weren't already mentioned:
- Mario would rather build a team through HS recruiting than the transfer portal. Per Mario, 7-12 a year in the transfer portal is the sweet spot.
- Mario picked Dawson to match Miami's personnel. Not for Miami to match Dawson.
- Said Francis and Samson check every box for a blue chip player.
- Spoke very highly of Emory Williams and how he's a student of the game.
- Overall, he took some shots at his former staff. I think Mario pivoted from all star resumes (Broyles awards, SEC, etc.) to all star grinders. He said it several times, college jobs are brutal from the amount of work and time you have to put in.

Advertisement
Im hoping Guidry and Mario pop in the tape and show Bain his performance against IMG where he was basically stonewalled by Mauigua when he was at DE but when he moved to DT..he looked like Warren Sapp in the 1994 Orange Bowl against Nebraska.

As long as we find a war daddy to take on double teams..Bain can be a monster at DT. But finding the War daddy is the missing piece here.

Im hoping Guidry and Mario pop in the tape and show Bain his performance against IMG where he was basically stonewalled by Mauigua when he was at DE but when he moved to DT..he looked like Warren Sapp in the 1994 Orange Bowl against Nebraska.

As long as we find a war daddy to take on double teams..Bain can be a monster at DT. But finding the War daddy is the missing piece here.

Longer term he may be best inside. But I hope Guidry puts him all over the LOS as a disrupter more than a defined role this coming season. I think he’s a X factor for offenses to have to deal with.

Advertisement
Great interview per usual with Mario. Listening to him makes me believe if it doesn't work with Mario, it will never work here again. He's that determined. My key takeaways that weren't already mentioned:
- Mario would rather build a team through HS recruiting than the transfer portal. Per Mario, 7-12 a year in the transfer portal is the sweet spot.
- Mario picked Dawson to match Miami's personnel. Not for Miami to match Dawson.
- Said Francis and Samson check every box for a blue chip player.
- Spoke very highly of Emory Williams and how he's a student of the game.
- Overall, he took some shots at his former staff. I think Mario pivoted from all star resumes (Broyles awards, SEC, etc.) to all star grinders. He said it several times, college jobs are brutal from the amount of work and time you have to put in.
Sounds like Strong, Steele, and those guys wanted to clock out when practice ended at 5pm but Mario had them headed to the Hecht Center to spend the next 8 hours recruiting. Lol. They are both where they need to be. Saban has a staff of 20 guys who will do all that recruiting work for them. Just like when Coach Kul went there after finding out we really needed him to recruit here too not just coach.

Sounds like Strong, Steele, and those guys wanted to clock out when practice ended at 5pm but Mario had them headed to the Hecht Center to spend the next 8 hours recruiting. Lol. They are both where they need to be. Saban has a staff of 20 guys who will do all that recruiting work for them. Just like when Coach Kul went there after finding out we really needed him to recruit here too not just coach.

I think the commitment and energy levels ere a determining factor for the position coaches. Agree the willingness to recruit nonstop was top priority there. But just in general it appears he’s looking for guys who will grind, whatever the task.

Did Mario mention anything about Cyrus Moss's weight?

/Just kidding. LMAO.

7d2448.jpg

Advertisement
We go 5-7, but Mario is featured on the 247 pod. Cooper P (who often has taken passive-aggressive shots at Mario and how he runs a program) pulling the Eddie Haskell with him in the interview. :rolleyes:

Great pub, though. Squirrelly Norvell could win a natty, and he still wouldn't get invited on the show.
Norvell will never win a natty as HC, but I get what you're saying.

Wondering if his comments at the end about guys going to NFL jobs from college was a shot at Rod Wright... weeding guys out that can't handle the calendar of college football and the recruiting effort.
i mean i dont think the NFL is a cake walk either. a lot of those guys never ever sleep or see their families. they dont have to recruit but there is still a grind. coaching sucks in general as a profession. our DE class was great so idk if wright was one that didnt put recruiting effort in but i could be wrong. he at least filled his room top tier kids compared to what joe did

Advertisement
i didnt watch so ill need context, but its ironic to take shots at dudes you hired in the first place. either way, changes were made.

Advertisement
We go 5-7, but Mario is featured on the 247 pod. Cooper P (who often has taken passive-aggressive shots at Mario and how he runs a program) pulling the Eddie Haskell with him in the interview. :rolleyes:

Great pub, though. Squirrelly Norvell could win a natty, and he still wouldn't get invited on the show.
There's a reason the guy is working for 247 sports and not at a college program.. especially considering he gets "credited" for being a part of some highly rated classes.

I can assure you 247 doesn't pay more than a DoPP in the P5. The guy wasn't wanting to grind it out and he's blaming Mario for burning him out and maybe even exposing his mid work ethic.

Not really a shot at the guy either.. I did the same thing for way less money at a small school where it's not nearly as difficult to manage... before NIL and portal was a thing and it sucks. Don't blame him.

There's a reason the guy is working for 247 sports and not at a college program.. especially considering he gets "credited" for being a part of some highly rated classes.

I can assure you 247 doesn't pay more than a DoPP in the P5. The guy wasn't wanting to grind it out and he's blaming Mario for burning him out and maybe even exposing his mid work ethic.

Not really a shot at the guy either.. I did the same thing for way less money at a small school where it's not nearly as difficult to manage... before NIL and portal was a thing and it sucks. Don't blame him.
time is valuable. the pay for the amount of time you have to put in is not worth it at all. not even close. that job sucks.

i mean i dont think the NFL is a cake walk either. a lot of those guys never ever sleep or see their families. they dont have to recruit but there is still a grind. coaching sucks in general as a profession. our DE class was great so idk if wright was one that didnt put recruiting effort in but i could be wrong. he at least filled his room top tier kids compared to what joe did
NFL has a month and a half or 2 months where you're almost entirely off work. That's the difference. College assistants usually get 5 days twice a year.

Add in that in college you're doing the exact same game prep and study every week as the NFL, often doing more of the legwork than in the NFL because the league has interns, analysts, scouts, 3rd parties doing a ton of their scouting and analysis... AND communicating with 50+ kids per day probably 300 days a year.

Advertisement
Back