HC Mario Cristobal interview with 247Sports Cooper Petagna & Andrew Ivins

NFL has a month and a half or 2 months where you're almost entirely off work. That's the difference. College assistants usually get 5 days twice a year.

Add in that in college you're doing the exact same game prep and study every week as the NFL, often doing more of the legwork than in the NFL because the league has interns, analysts, scouts, 3rd parties doing a ton of their scouting and analysis... AND communicating with 50+ kids per day probably 300 days a year.
i agree but it used to be that college coaches would have some more job security whereas the NFL, the contracts dont matter. you get a single season. obviously its changed a bit now tho the HCs still generally have time on their side. if you ask me, **** that ****. id never wanna have to deal w 15-18 year olds daily and coddling up to them esp when youre on the lower ranks on a staff where the pay isnt even great for the time you put in

Advertisement
time is valuable. the pay for the amount of time you have to put in is not worth it at all. not even close. that job sucks.
Facts. I did almost 2 years at the FCS level and it was fine.. probably averaged 50-60 hours a week. Then I took a new job at an SEC program and I called it quits after 2 weeks. Triple the pay but also probably put in 120 hours per week. Made it from the time the new guy got hired and took me with him the next day. Hit the ground running until ESD and then told him I was out.

Best decision of my life.

Did Mario mention anything about Cyrus Moss's weight?

/Just kidding. LMAO.
He actually did. He mentioned he was down to 187 lbs!

Fingers crossed, he gets down to 170 before fall ball starts.

Praying The Office GIF

Advertisement
I think the commitment and energy levels ere a determining factor for the position coaches. Agree the willingness to recruit nonstop was top priority there. But just in general it appears he’s looking for guys who will grind, whatever the task.
Yep…I think he said at the little things. I interpreted that for guys like Strong and Steele would think that’s beneath them.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out especially if we have a better on field product.

Advertisement
Facts. I did almost 2 years at the FCS level and it was fine.. probably averaged 50-60 hours a week. Then I took a new job at an SEC program and I called it quits after 2 weeks. Triple the pay but also probably put in 120 hours per week. Made it from the time the new guy got hired and took me with him the next day. Hit the ground running until ESD and then told him I was out.

Best decision of my life.
you look at some of these families of coaches and very rare do you have happy stories. it takes over your life

Advertisement
This is going to sound weird so pause in advance just in case.. but he's got the lower half of a 330 pound nose tackle and the upper body of a linebacker. Very weird/unique build. Thick in the ***. Belicheck probably already planning on drafting him. Then has the twitch of the slim south Florida edge rushers like Brian Burns or Patrick Payton.
Paging @Confidence1000 , please get to your squad car asap

Advertisement
NFL has a month and a half or 2 months where you're almost entirely off work. That's the difference. College assistants usually get 5 days twice a year.

Add in that in college you're doing the exact same game prep and study every week as the NFL, often doing more of the legwork than in the NFL because the league has interns, analysts, scouts, 3rd parties doing a ton of their scouting and analysis... AND communicating with 50+ kids per day probably 300 days a year.
Interesting assessment considering your point of view. I thought that considering the NCAA requirements concerning practice limitations as compared to the NFL, that the NFL season was comparatively worse. Your thoughts on that?

Also, considering the NFL is an 18 week season + preseason, wouldn't college assistants have a longer offseason, even if that time is spent recruiting? Thanks for your take.

Interesting assessment considering your point of view. I thought that considering the NCAA requirements concerning practice limitations as compared to the NFL, that the NFL season was comparatively worse. Your thoughts on that?

Also, considering the NFL is an 18 week season + preseason, wouldn't college assistants have a longer offseason, even if that time is spent recruiting? Thanks for your take.

I think you are mixing up the impact to players vs. coaches.

The issue of "recruiting" puts a very different spin on the job of the college coaches. Even though they might not have to spend as many hours at PRACTICE, the job of recruiting is now 24-7-365.

You’ve got the time limitations in college but the NFL isn’t over working their guys either and honestly stays close to that by design. They pay their players to study film and prepare on their own.

There are more games to prepare for in the NFL.. that is something of note. Certainly debatable. I also remember Urban Meyer saying that every week in the NFL was like game week preparing for Alabama. But that’s using a college model in the NFL. True NFL guys and lifers have it down to a science and don’t overwork themselves and it’s more efficient and data driven game prep.

Also in college you’re monitoring grades for your position group, attendance, are they going out at night, and talking to their family on a weekly basis.. basically babysitting 10-15 guys.

Someone who has coached at both levels, currently in the SEC, said he put in about 80 hours a week in-season in the NFL and had 6 weeks completely off work with no responsibilities. About 40 hours a week the rest of the year. In college he works about 100 hours a week in season (7 days a week 5am to 8pm) 70 hours a week the other 8 months, and had 4 days off in February and 3 days off in May. That was it.

Most entry level guys and position coaches in college are weeded out and totally burnt out in February (used to be February - probably both signing days now) and June with the camps, visit period, evaluation and offer period. You don’t make any money unless you work camps every day/weekend as a GA. Easily 120 hours a week if you’re doing what they want you to do and if you want consideration to move up.

Advertisement
Back