Has the Manny Diaz Gimmick Defense Run It’s Course??

KrazyCane

SAVAGE
Banned
Teams seem to have figured out how to exploit every weakness in this Diaz / Baker hybrid 4-2-5 bs.

Am I the only one that has noticed right before the ball is snapped you can see gaps in the defense and soon as the ball is snapped the opposing teams offense gashes us in that same area?

This defense automatically creates wide open run lanes and wide open receivers... running backs gash us all the time by running a counter to the weak side. And receivers are killing us deep against the striker and against our boundary corners in the flats.

When the game is on the line we can’t get a stop against the run or pass unless we get a sack or hit on the qb... and with Stroud as our Dline coRch that obviously isn’t going to happen at the same rate we are use to.

Advertisement
Teams seem to have figured out how to exploit every weakness in this Diaz / Baker hybrid 4-2-5 bs.

Am I the only one that has noticed right before the ball is snapped you can see gaps in the defense and soon as the ball is snapped the opposing teams offense gashes us in that same area?

This defense automatically creates wide open run lanes and wide open receivers... running backs gash us all the time by running a counter to the weak side. And receivers are killing us deep against the striker and against our boundary corners in the flats.

When the game is on the line we can’t get a stop against the run or pass unless we get a sack or hit on the qb... and with Stroud as our Dline coRch that obviously isn’t going to happen at the same rate we are use to.

2.3 yards/carry seems to run a bit counter to your narrative.

Advertisement
Advertisement
What I see is that we haven't replaced Norton , McIntosh and Willis with equal talent and it shows .

Yup.

Our problem against quality is that we aren't good enough or deep enough. That leads to worn down DT's, in particular this year.

All the heat we have generated has come at a price against quality as well. Pressure up front helps the back end, but when we aren't getting pressure the back end is exposed. So we start blitzing and if we still don't get pressure, look out.

Scheme could most certainly work. We just don't have the horses, depth wise in particular.

I thought Jon Ford turned the corner in his development.

He has done just enough to get some meaningful PT. Now he has to produce and not just occupy space. To me the DTs and linebackers have been absent. I thought Pinckney had gone to the nfl until I saw him make a play last night. Shaq has been ok but not impactful enough.

Advertisement

4-2-5 ain't gimmicky. We had alignment and leverage issues. UNC simply out schemed us. Sad but true.

This defense has become legend mostly off teams making unforced turnovers! For past few years that TO Chain has been in the psychology of our opponents so much that they can’t hold on to the ball no matter what! Like Carolina last year!

Those turnovers hide a lot of issues with Manny’s scheme for past few years!

Kudos for him and staff creating the TO culture but it appears to have worn out its effect! Now we got to play head up defense!

Advertisement
True.. but remember those days that norton and Willis would destroy a running back in the back field. They were so great at the snap
He isn't as quick off the ball as those guys. But he is a big strong dude and i haven't seen him get pushed around. Need to find somebody with more quickness to pair with him.

I noticed in the uf and unc game that sometimes the defense does shift when the offense moves a man from one side of the offense to the other and leaving them on a disadvantage on the play side

Advertisement
Back