Has Kyle Seen The Sun Sentinel Prediction

Advertisement
I understand their skepticism, but I don't think people appreciate how much better our offense is going to be.

Last year's rankings

Total offense: 98th
Rushing offense: 120th
Passing offense: 52nd
Scoring offense: 90th
Yards per play: 97th
3rd down conversion %: 129th (!!!)

When Lashlee took over UCONN's offense, they went from 121st to 46th in total offense in one year.

If we just cut those putrid '19 numbers in half, that's at the very least a 2-game improvement.

If there were ever a year to let your balls hang out, it's this season.

BE NOT AFRAID

Susan D. is not with the Sentinel so there is some merit to these predictions.

Advertisement
Until we prove other wise you can't bytch about these predictions. I honestly can't remember a season in the last 15+ years where we haven't lost to a team we should have beaten.

Advertisement
In all honesty, we lost probably 3 games alone because of the kicking game, that would have put us at 9 wins. Would have likely meant keeping Enos, almost happy we fell on our face so we could get an offensive system from this century.
We dodged a bullet, I guess.

Advertisement
Thanks

Hopefully, that's the floor if things go wrong.

Here's the thing, I don't care what any one particular writer predicts. I just question the laziness of it. If you are going to be a sportswriter, and your words will be archived forever, put in a bit more effort.

Dave Hyde:

There’s definitely plenty of optimism for Hurricanes fans after an offseason filled with key upgrades. None may pay bigger dividends than landing a proven quarterback in D’Eriq King. A new offensive coordinator also helps. However, a riddle needing solving is why Manny Diaz’s team got worse as last year lengthened. Prediction: 7-4

So here's a guy who has written for The Miami Herald and the Sun-Sentinel since 1985. And he literally "solved his riddle" in the two preceding sentences. Nearly every logical sportswriter has spoken of the terrible interaction of Enos and his QB-go-round last year, yet Hyde won't even "solve the riddle"? Did our defense "get worse" as last year lengthened?

Kathy Laughlin (who?):

Comment: There is reason for hope with several new coaches and a new quarterback...That said, it could take a season for all of the new components to really jell and come together — especially since so much time was lost in spring, when teams normally adjust to all the changes. Prediction: 7-4

First, the word is "gel". As in, to form a solid gelatin. Not a runny jelly. Moving past the poor spelling/word choice of a newspaper editor, we move on to the "time lost in spring" issue, which (of course) is an issue for EVERY SINGLE TEAM. Now, nobody is predicting that we will beat Clemson. But to act as if Miami will need 11 games to "gel" and come together is just ridiculous, particularly when most of our opponents have a HC, OC, and/or DC with zero seasons or just one season under their belts. Again, we lost 7 games by 4, 3, 7, 7 (OT), 6, 10, and 14 points. Now, let's think about this...for the most part, LAST YEAR we had a new OC and a "new" starting QB (Jarren, at least at the beginning), and we didn't need a whole season to "gel", we just sucked. And ALL WE NEED is a one-score improvement per game (and a kicker) to win nearly every game we lost last year with a historically bad offense. So why all the concern about "gelling" when every team in the country has the same Covid-19 handicap on their spring and summer workouts? This is COLLEGE football, the entire team turns over every few years.

Lazy sportswriters. At least David Furones and Kevin Lerner mentioned specific players and coaches, cited stats, and acknowledged what Manny has done to address the issues of last year.

Advertisement
This Canes Team reminds me of my Bears Team 2 years ago, New Head Coach/OC, and a new system. Bears were 12-4 that year and only lost because of the kicker, like my canes. We also still have a great Defence, like my Canes. I can not wait until Thursday Night.
and as a fellow Bears fan, we now suck.

We lost to FIU and Louisiana Tech. So what if we hired a G5 offensive coordinator. Last year you were all creaming your jeans about Enos. Manny is still Manny. We are lucky the media still covers the program.

Advertisement
Back