Has Dee Delaney destroyed his NFL dreams by coming to Miami?

Advertisement
I've sat close to field level for both home games and have been focusing ALOT on Delaney.

I'm sorry...but he's garbage. Any receiver with decent quickness give him problems. In all honesty he looks like the kind of guy who would be more useful matched up against possession receivers or good receiving Tight Ends. He has the size to match up with those kinds of dudes....but he has a serious lack of lateral quickness.

We're only two games in but some of the areas we all thought were going to be a problem, particularly from a depth standpoint, actually look pretty good (TE, RB, QB, and OL). Meanwhile, two areas we thought we were good at (secondary and D-Line) have seriously disappointed. I'm less worried about the D-Line than I am about the secondary...but we have a SERIOUS lack of talent at the cornerback position right now. It's easily going to be our biggest issue this season.

I don't think the talent is that bad, we are just a bit thin and starting the wrong dudes. Young & Bandy should be the starters based on performance in games thus far. Time to give Dean a spin at CB...kid is a junior from Juco...cant be worse than Delaney, can he? Safety position is really struggling IMHO. Carter making freshman mistakes in taking bad angles in pass coverage, JJ hasn't elevated his game yet, and redwine still hasn't come into his own at safety since moving over. The season is young, but this group needs to turn it up big time.

You might not think it's bad...but the simple fact none of those young players beat out Delaney is telling. He's looked downright inept, and the fact the coaches look like they are going to continue to play him indicates they are hoping he can get his **** together because they don't trust what's behind him.

Everyone so quick to jump off the Diaz bandwagon should take into account the lack of talent and depth we currently have in the secondary...it's as bad as I can remember.

I trouble over this as well, scary shït...Will be very interesting to see the snap spread this next game. Can understand Manny, Rumph, etc giving Delaney a second game to see if it was first game jitters, but young man is obviously lacking. I would be very surprised if we stuck with Delaney for the bulk of the Duke game. Can see him getting the start just to not kill his confidence completely, but I could see him getting the hook early if he struggles bad again.

IMO what he has can't be fixed....a lack of quickness and the inability to flip his hips quickly to allow him to turn and run and with receivers. This is a recipe for consistent separation on the part of opposing wide receivers.

He might look great in a combine given the fact he's tall and can probably run fast in a straight line...but a big part of being a good corner is the ability to stop/start and change directions quickly. Kid doesn't have that.

Could he be used to match up against Tight Ends and bigger possession receiver types? Yeah...I could see that working. But to be very clear...the amount of separation he CONSISTENTLY gave up the first 2 games has been eye opening.

It has been two games.
One of which was after a long layoff due to a natural disaster.
Call me crazy if I say the sample size is way too small and we should be a bit more patient.

2 games versus non power 5 teams.

Within a new system with new teammates with no cohesion or chemistry.
If people want to judge after two games go ahead.
I just don't think it is wise to just bury the kid when there's still a long way to go for him to prove his worth.

On the flip side, what message does this send to the other CBs on the team? A guy will continue to start and play bulk snaps even though he is garbage thus far just bc he's a grad transfer and came in supposedly with a NFL draftable grade?!? That's not fair to Bandy, Dean, and MJ. I say work Dean into the game, lets see what he has to offer. Then lets make a call on who should get the bulk of the snaps going forward.

Two games in, no. Nine more games in, maybe. Maybe not, though. A great combine has made "lesser" collegiate football players into future NFL superstars.

Advertisement
Just play match ups. If duke has big *** lumbering wrs, put Delaney and Jackson on them. Put jhavonte and malek on duke's fastest Wrs. Put bandy on their shifty Wes walker types.

Delaney already played against quality competition as mentioned before...here's his performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTTX9VV05A

Delaney vs FSU 2014 (First game of the year, as a Redshirt Freshman. FSU coming off NC)

Note: On all of these downs, he is lined up as a Boundary CB, 10 yards off the WR unless otherwise noted.

3:05 Tackle made (Top of screen)

10:22 Missed Tackle on Dalvin Cook, engaged the blocker and Cook sped past him. (Top of screen)

10:35 Pass Coverage/Tackle - He backs into his zone while the WR infront of him does a 6 yard hitch, he comes up and makes the tackle with no problem. while the WR is securing the catch. (Top of screen)
-Next play, Zone Coverage (Top of screen) Ball doesn't go his direction
-Next play, Man Coverage, Screen/Swing play his direction. Runs past the blocker and forces BoBo Wilson out of bounds.
-Next play, he's 4 yards off the LOS (2nd and 3), FSU in a power run formation with no WR on his side. He's trusted with outside containment. Its an inside run by Dalvin Cook and he cuts it back to Delaney's side, Dee makes a great open field tackle for no gain.
-2 plays later Jameis is sacked after dancing in the pocket...Dee never left his zone, instead watched the WR (who ran a hitch again) the whole time while the front 7 did the work.
-Next play, after its obvious that its a run, he slowly waltzes over to the ball carrier as others make the tackle (he could've prevented about 2 yards of his team mates getting dragged if he aggressively attacked and gang tackled)
-Next play, Cook scores a TD to his side, he couldn't disengage the blocker, can't really blame him much, WR had perfect positioning.

Haven't watched the rest of the game but most important thing to note is that Delaney literally played about 10 yards off on 90% of the snaps. Made a good open field tackle on Cook who we all know can make anyone miss, and is iffy on getting off the block to make the tackle against quality WR's.

I've sat close to field level for both home games and have been focusing ALOT on Delaney.

I'm sorry...but he's garbage. Any receiver with decent quickness give him problems. In all honesty he looks like the kind of guy who would be more useful matched up against possession receivers or good receiving Tight Ends. He has the size to match up with those kinds of dudes....but he has a serious lack of lateral quickness.

We're only two games in but some of the areas we all thought were going to be a problem, particularly from a depth standpoint, actually look pretty good (TE, RB, QB, and OL). Meanwhile, two areas we thought we were good at (secondary and D-Line) have seriously disappointed. I'm less worried about the D-Line than I am about the secondary...but we have a SERIOUS lack of talent at the cornerback position right now. It's easily going to be our biggest issue this season.

I don't think the talent is that bad, we are just a bit thin and starting the wrong dudes. Young & Bandy should be the starters based on performance in games thus far. Time to give Dean a spin at CB...kid is a junior from Juco...cant be worse than Delaney, can he? Safety position is really struggling IMHO. Carter making freshman mistakes in taking bad angles in pass coverage, JJ hasn't elevated his game yet, and redwine still hasn't come into his own at safety since moving over. The season is young, but this group needs to turn it up big time.

You might not think it's bad...but the simple fact none of those young players beat out Delaney is telling. He's looked downright inept, and the fact the coaches look like they are going to continue to play him indicates they are hoping he can get his **** together because they don't trust what's behind him.

Everyone so quick to jump off the Diaz bandwagon should take into account the lack of talent and depth we currently have in the secondary...it's as bad as I can remember.

It's bad. Really bad. This secondary is pure garbage. I had major doubts about them after seeing the stats in the fall but I sure as **** wasn't going to post it. If this secondary was just okay or just good the offense would have been pulverized in camp. Also makes me wonder why guys like Finley were even recruited. Not one guy outside of Carter and maybe Smith belongs at safety here. That's a joke.

And one more thing. These coaches saw this level of ineptitude all offseason yet DJ Dallas and Dionte Mullins were never once considered for the move to CB or S? Someone needs to explain that. Also why on earth were the insiders here telling us that Delaney and Dean are the truth? Makes no sense. Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Delaney already played against quality competition as mentioned before...here's his performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTTX9VV05A

Delaney vs FSU 2014 (First game of the year, as a Redshirt Freshman. FSU coming off NC)

Note: On all of these downs, he is lined up as a Boundary CB, 10 yards off the WR unless otherwise noted.

3:05 Tackle made (Top of screen)

10:22 Missed Tackle on Dalvin Cook, engaged the blocker and Cook sped past him. (Top of screen)

10:35 Pass Coverage/Tackle - He backs into his zone while the WR infront of him does a 6 yard hitch, he comes up and makes the tackle with no problem. while the WR is securing the catch. (Top of screen)
-Next play, Zone Coverage (Top of screen) Ball doesn't go his direction
-Next play, Man Coverage, Screen/Swing play his direction. Runs past the blocker and forces BoBo Wilson out of bounds.
-Next play, he's 4 yards off the LOS (2nd and 3), FSU in a power run formation with no WR on his side. He's trusted with outside containment. Its an inside run by Dalvin Cook and he cuts it back to Delaney's side, Dee makes a great open field tackle for no gain.
-2 plays later Jameis is sacked after dancing in the pocket...Dee never left his zone, instead watched the WR (who ran a hitch again) the whole time while the front 7 did the work.
-Next play, after its obvious that its a run, he slowly waltzes over to the ball carrier as others make the tackle (he could've prevented about 2 yards of his team mates getting dragged if he aggressively attacked and gang tackled)
-Next play, Cook scores a TD to his side, he couldn't disengage the blocker, can't really blame him much, WR had perfect positioning.

Haven't watched the rest of the game but most important thing to note is that Delaney literally played about 10 yards off on 90% of the snaps. Made a good open field tackle on Cook who we all know can make anyone miss, and is iffy on getting off the block to make the tackle against quality WR's.

Thanks for this. First Citadel tape I've seen of him.

It's bad. Really bad. This secondary is pure garbage. I had major doubts about them after seeing the stats in the fall but I sure as **** wasn't going to post it. If this secondary was just okay or just good the offense would have been pulverized in camp. Also makes me wonder why guys like Finley were even recruited. Not one guy outside of Carter and maybe Smith belongs at safety here. That's a joke.

And one more thing. These coaches saw this level of ineptitude all offseason yet DJ Dallas and Dionte Mullins were never once considered for the move to CB or S? Someone needs to explain that. Also why on earth were the insiders here telling us that Delaney and Dean are the truth? Makes no sense. Something doesn't add up.

I remember either seeing it written here or said during one of those CIS podcasts that Dean looked like a one and done player lmao.
How can a guy look like he's a one and done and looking like a 1st round pick yet can't see the field at all behind an already talent depleted secondary? Looks like that comment was made after watching the guy run warmups in shorts and a helmet. Thats gotta be one of the most ridiculous predictions I've seen in a long time lol

I suspect that at the Cit. he was too physical for WRs and his lack of playing speed was not an issue because the WRs could not run routes against him. Now that he is not the bully, WRs have found that they can run by him. He has to drop back to prevent this so WRs are open under him. That and he apparently forgets the defensive call......................

Advertisement
This cat's played 2 games for us and yall mofos wanna ship him out already.. smh i didn't realize there were NFL talent evaluator's in here either.. it's incredible that you guys bash these kids after 2 fu$king games.. according to the standards set by the posters on this board idk any kid that i can call UM caliber.. FFS let him get coached up and give a full body of work throughout the season before you experts rip him!

I remember either seeing it written here or said during one of those CIS podcasts that Dean looked like a one and done player lmao.
How can a guy look like he's a one and done and looking like a 1st round pick yet can't see the field at all behind an already talent depleted secondary? Looks like that comment was made after watching the guy run warmups in shorts and a helmet. Thats gotta be one of the most ridiculous predictions I've seen in a long time lol

Let's not forget "they" also started the "Perry's gonna start day 1" hype train that spiraled out of control. It's not a shot at anyone, we all make mistakes and no one is perfect...but it's the reason why I draw my own conclusions and give no ***** about what anyone else thinks. I call it like I see it, right or wrong, based on what I see.

Back to the secondary....I see alot of people starting to turn on Diaz, which is typical of the retards on this site. Everyone has been commenting about not playing nickel more and matching up personnel to the opposing offense. Have these people even stopped to consider that those 3 linebackers are 3 of our best football players and taking them off the field would force you to play a sub-par talent? Furthermore...has the ****** crown even stopped to consider that Manny might just feel FORCED to keep those 3 linebackers on the field because they represent BETTER FOOTBALL PLAYERS than the garbage corners and safeties he has sitting on the bench that could potentially be used in nickel and dime subpackages?

If you want to criticize the recruiting to an extent (whiffing on Henderson hurt) I can listen to that....but the whole "Diaz all of a sudden sucks" thing is pretty mind boggling to me. He's being asked to go into thermo-nuclear war with a water gun. The talent we have in the secondary right now is pure garbage.

Let's not forget "they" also started the "Perry's gonna start day 1" hype train that spiraled out of control. It's not a shot at anyone, we all make mistakes and no one is perfect...but it's the reason why I draw my own conclusions and give no ****s about what anyone else thinks. I call it like I see it, right or wrong, based on what I see.

Back to the secondary....I see alot of people starting to turn on Diaz, which is typical of the retards on this site. Everyone has been commenting about not playing nickel more and matching up personnel to the opposing offense. Have these people even stopped to consider that those 3 linebackers are 3 of our best football players and taking them off the field would force you to play a sub-par talent? Furthermore...has the ****** crown even stopped to consider that Manny might just feel FORCED to keep those 3 linebackers on the field because they represent BETTER FOOTBALL PLAYERS than the garbage corners and safeties he has sitting on the bench that could potentially be used in nickel and dime subpackages?

If you want to criticize the recruiting to an extent (whiffing on Henderson hurt) I can listen to that....but the whole "Diaz all of a sudden sucks" thing is pretty mind boggling to me. He's being asked to go into thermo-nuclear war with a water gun. The talent we have in the secondary right now is pure garbage.

I'm with you. I think Manny is a good DC. I think the growing pains have to do with new players starting and young guys getting in the game. Would like to see more press coverage with the CBs closer to the LOS, but lets see what happens for the Duke game. Secondary needs to line up better.

Advertisement

Let's not forget "they" also started the "Perry's gonna start day 1" hype train that spiraled out of control. It's not a shot at anyone, we all make mistakes and no one is perfect...but it's the reason why I draw my own conclusions and give no ****s about what anyone else thinks. I call it like I see it, right or wrong, based on what I see.

I'm with you. I think Manny is a good DC. I think the growing pains have to do with new players starting and young guys getting in the game. Would like to see more press coverage with the CBs closer to the LOS, but lets see what happens for the Duke game. Secondary needs to line up better.

Only one thing can help that secondary...a couple of quality JUCO's next year and a general infusion of talent.

Another game like the last two and he might have destroyed his dreams of playing at Miami...lol

I've been a huge believer in him since I saw him playing for the citadel in 2015 and 2016. I'm honestly shocked at how bad he's been and he just seems lost. It's one of those situations where he's playing slow because he's thinking slow and trying to do things he hasn't done before. He's learning new techniques and just doesn't seem comfortable.

I'd like to see him get an interception or a big pbu or something. I don't care if he gets a CJ Henderson type golden horseshoe interception that falls into his hands or makes some ridiculous play to get it. I just want to see what would happen if he had a confidence building play. Might help him get over the hump.

No way the reports out of camp of him and Ahmmon going at it and him beating Ahmmon just disappeared... right?

Only one thing can help that secondary...a couple of quality JUCO's next year and a general infusion of talent.

Jobe and Chandler alone change the dynamic in the d-backfield. Both are plug and play freshman. Lord I hope we hold on

Advertisement
Back