Handoff to the fullback - fumble

Never has Mo Hagens been missed so much

But as others have stated, if we dont have real FB, why not just go with more one-back, 3-wide sets?

Advertisement
This staff seems obsessed with the notion that we need to have a short yardage specialty back. They keep trying to shoehorn Edwards into that role which is counter intuitive to his running style, and yesterday they went so far as to give the ball to Regula in a 3rd down situation. It is just one more example of them trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Just give the **** ball to Duke or Yearby. They are our two best running backs and give us the best shot of picking up the yards.

This staff seems obsessed with the notion that we need to have a short yardage specialty back. They keep trying to shoehorn Edwards into that role which is counter intuitive to his running style, and yesterday they went so far as to give the ball to Regula in a 3rd down situation. It is just one more example of them trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Just give the **** ball to Duke or Yearby. They are our two best running backs and give us the best shot of picking up the yards.

didnt we kill the staff for doing that and then duke broke his ankle? can't have it both ways lol.

I never have, nor will I ever, criticize the staff for putting the ball in Duke Johnson's hands. The problem is the OL and the play calling -- not the ball carrier.

Advertisement
I never have, nor will I ever, criticize the staff for putting the ball in Duke Johnson's hands. The problem is the OL and the play calling -- not the ball carrier.

the we wasn't really meant for you just in general. i remember a ton of posts killing the staff for not using a FB when duke broke his ankle on the short yardage runs.

the we wasn't really meant for you just in general. i remember a ton of posts killing the staff for not using a FB when duke broke his ankle on the short yardage runs.
It's different if we have a legitimate fullback with some ball skills. We don't have that right now so just get the ball in the hands of guys with the most talent.

image.jpg

That single play call is a microcosm of and EPITOMIZES the stupidity of this staff. 3rd and short what do we do? 'Outsmart' our sub-level opponent by giving the ball to the worst player in the history of the program, not our BEST PLAYER.

Joke

Even the worst player in the history of the program, which Regula is not, should be able to pick up 1 yard against a sub-level opponent with the size of our OL. If he'd held onto the ball, he would've gotten it. The problem was the player, not the play call.

The play call included giving the ball to regula. So thanks for proving my point.

Advertisement
I lost my **** on Saturday watching this play, you have one of the better RBs in college football in the backfield and you try and give the ball to some walk-on hack. Coley continues to prove that he is as bad or worse than Dorito

The play call included giving the ball to regula. So thanks for proving my point.

Do you guys really not know how this works? The OC calls the play. The play was to give the ball to the fullback. The play would have worked. Coley does not send in the personnel, nor does he have time to wait and see who is going on the field before making a call. We don't have 90 seconds on every play for everyone to communicate all of this.

When Dorsett catches a pass, the play wasn't designed to go to Dorsett. It was designed to go to his position. If Dorsett gets a stinger and sits out a few plays, the play still goes to that position, and someone on the sideline decides who that is.

There's no rule against giving the ball to Dobard from the FB/H-Back spot in those situations. You know what would be great about that? Dobard is a lot more likely to get it than Regooooooolah, and also--you're setting up Dobard to run up the middle on playaction and be on top of the LB's/S's before they know it.

Alas, Pricko Suave doesn't know the meaning of running one play to set up another.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back