GUS EDWARDS $$$$$

The haters have left this thread. Too much logic, stats, and good points being made here by Bshaw28
You will get use to your conclusions. It's been known that our coaches are not top tier but puppies and alot of players do much better when they leave. Facts

Advertisement
The reason Gus got a lot of heat from Miami fans was because he was disappointing. He was a big dude with really good speed but he ran like a 180 lb running back here. The good news is, players can actually improve and sometimes the light doesn’t come on for a guy until his junior or senior season. Gus was obviously productive at Rutgers and his style very much translates to the pros, so good for him.

Thank u! Like, let’s not revise history here.

He got flack b/c he was built like Tarzan & played like Jane, a lot. The potential was there, but he couldn’t be trusted in our back field. Obviously he continued to work, and playing for a team like Baltimore helped his potential tremendously. Even at Rutgers he wasn’t killing it, hence him being a UDFA.

Baltimore is a class organization. Lotta players have had success there. Sometimes going to the right team is just as important as to when u get drafted.

I agree to disagree. Not enough carries. Pigeon holed into short yardage role with subpar blocking.

He obviously had the goods as he would have never made it to the NFL and stuck. He didn't just improve over night. I just think he was misused. Like I said in other posts, we get so enamored with shake n bake of smaller backs that we forget about power running. I don't think our blocking scheme was a good fit either.
The underused excuse gets thrown out the window because he went to Rutgers, got a ton of playing time and was still average. I will agree with your last sentence, though. He was not a good fit for our offensive scheme. The reason he’s been a better professional player than college player is because of the system he plays in now is better suited for him than most college offenses.

Also, when you claim to be a “power back” but you get stopped in short yardage situations easily, it kind of makes it hard for the coaches to play you.

Man this topic chaps my ***. Ive never been THIS WRONG about an analysis before or since. lol

Seriously though, the Gus Edwards was doo doo when he was at UM. There is just something about the way the NFL prioritizes measurables above all else. It would not surprise me if we see this same type of progression from Lorenzo Lingard. He could end up being a scrub in college and find his way onto an NFL roster based on measurables alone. We'll see.

Advertisement
I think you misunderstood what I wrote.

He is already under his ORIGINAL contract for the 2021 season. He will get the $3.4 million for THIS year. The $10 million is for 2022 and 2023. Hence, the 2-year extension which will average $5 million per season.

I'm not sure where you think all the "incentives" are coming from. This isn't 1985 any longer. Salary cap rules and other requirements limit the role of "incentives" as forms of payment. Incentives can trigger other things, such as money becoming guaranteed, but nobody can trick the Salary Cap Gods by giving a guy a contract that pays solely on performance.

Yes, once a guy is on the roster and makes the team, he has a salary for that year. If he gets injured, the team still pays him for that year and gets insurance to cover the balance. They could then cut the player and not be on the hook for the salary for future years.

What I am saying is that if Gus is getting $3.4 million for 2021 under his original contract, based on how well he has performed, he is not taking a pay cut, and he is not signing for two more years at the same base salary amount (plus $1.5 million of "incentives"). The current NFL pay system largely divides money into base salary and "signing" or "roster" bonuses, which are amounts that may need to be amortized over multiple years (thus, the term "cap hit", which describes money that was already paid, but must be counted in a different year).

The concept of "guaranteed" money means money in a future year that is guaranteed to a player regardless of whether he is on the roster. If the Vikings cut Kirk Cousins tomorrow, they would still owe him money for future years, but the same is not true if the Vikings cut another player with no guaranteed money.

If the Ravens signed Gus to an extension, it is possible that there are no additional roster bonuses, so that they can spread out the initial signing bonus over more years (2022 and 2023). Thus, in the final analysis, it seems likely that the extension would be two additional years of salary only (say, 4.5 million for 2022 and 5.5 million for 2023). If Gus is on the opening day roster, he earns that amount for the year.
Exactly, only on this forum can fans belittle a former Canes 10 million dollar contract. Smdh.

The underused excuse gets thrown out the window because he went to Rutgers, got a ton of playing time and was still average. I will agree with your last sentence, though. He was not a good fit for our offensive scheme. The reason he’s been a better professional player than college player is because of the system he plays in now is better suited for him than most college offenses.

Also, when you claim to be a “power back” but you get stopped in short yardage situations easily, it kind of makes it hard for the coaches to play you.
Oh, right. Because Rutgers had such a stellar line like Ohio State or Wisconsin. So average that he's playing in the NFL. The only back in his UM tenure that's playing in the NFL. It's a good thing players believe in themselves and not the so called fans.

Oh, right. Because Rutgers had such a stellar line like Ohio State or Wisconsin. So average that he's playing in the NFL. The only back in his UM tenure that's playing in the NFL. It's a good thing players believe in themselves and not the so called fans.
The running back who was at Rutgers before him had better numbers. They sucked but were statistically a good rushing team.

I appreciate the super fan advice from the guy ****ting on actual UM running backs to hype up his favorite Rutgers player.

The running back who was at Rutgers before him had better numbers. They sucked but were statistically a good rushing team.

I appreciate the super fan advice from the guy ****ting on actual UM running backs to hype up his favorite Rutgers player.
Look MF!!! I didn't **** on anyone. Didn't say one bad thing. You the MF ****ting on Gus!!!! Then try to twist the **** around!!! GTFOH!!!

And for the record, Gus is a Cane and UM graduate!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
You weren't. He never ran consistently hard here. Never kept his pad level low. Got legitimately beat out by guys with less natural gifts. The light didn't go on until he got to Rutgers. And then went on even brighter when he got to the league. It happens sometimes.
I disagree. He was becoming a better back for us and then had the foot injury. After he fully recovered our coaches admitted they had under utilized him and used in the wrong situations but then proceeded to continue doing exactly that. It only looked like the light came on at Rutg because Gus was finally the primary back instead of watching from the sidelines and getting a few token carries.

Again, it's a perception vs reality thing. This isn't aimed at you DTP - I'm just looking at how the narratives sometimes don't match the reality.

Narrative - Walton has a nose for the end zone was great in short yardage, and Gus was terrible. Reality - Gus was as good or better in those situations.
Narrative - Gus was only good against bad competition. Reality - If anything, that applies much more to Walton. Walton's performance against bad teams wildly skewed the perception of his overall ability. It's seems weird that people would apply that logic to Gus and not Walton, but I think that's where the South Florida bias comes into play.

Carries inside the 10 yd line:
Walton
- 53 carries 15 TD's - 28% TD Rate
Gus - 48 carries 13 TD's - 27% TD Rate

Carries on 3rd or 4th with 1-2 yds to go:
Walton
- 16 for 34 yds, 2.1 ypc
Gus - 26 for 126 yds, 4.8 ypc

Vs P5
Walton
- 283-1,081 yds, 3.8 ypc, 11 TD's - Scored a TD every 26 carries
Gus - 259-1,071 yds, 4.1 ypc, 10 TD's - Scored a TD every 26 carries

Vs Non-P5
Walton
- 111-914 yds, 8.2 ypc, 15 TD's - Scored a TD every 7 carries
Gus - 91-619 yds, 6.8 ypc, 8 TD's - Scored a TD every 11 carries

This is a classic case of how to miss on an evaluation

Walton
- When you focus only on the positive and dismiss all the negative - you miss in your evaluation.
Gus - When you focus only on the negative and dismiss all the positive - you miss in your evaluation.

Last edited:
Again, it's a perception vs reality thing. This isn't aimed at you DTP - I'm just looking at how the narratives sometimes don't match the reality.

Narrative - Walton has a nose for the end zone was great in short yardage, and Gus was terrible. Reality - Gus was as good or better in those situations.
Narrative - Gus was only good against bad competition. Reality - If anything, that applies much more to Walton. Walton's performance against bad teams wildly skewed the perception of his overall ability. It's seems weird that people would apply that logic to Gus and not Walton, but I think that's where the South Florida bias comes into play.

Walton

Walton
- 16 for 34 yds, 2.1 ypc

Vs P5
Walton
Gus - 259-1,071 yds, 4.1 ypc, 10 TD's - Scored a TD every 26 carries

Vs Non-P5
Walton
Gus - 91-619 yds, 6.8 ypc, 8 TD's - Scored a TD every 11 carries

Walton
- When you focus only on the positive and dismiss all the negative - you miss in your evaluation.
Gus - When you focus only on the negative and dismiss all the positive - you miss in your evaluation.
There’s a lot of facts in this post…. too much for this board to handle imo, 😂🤣😂 Good work my man

Advertisement
There’s a lot of facts in this post…. too much for this board to handle imo, 😂🤣😂 Good work my man

Yeah - I mean, I get the South Florida and ranking bias - it makes sense.

But it was taken to such an extreme with hating on Gus while simultaneously overhyping Yearby and later Walton to a point that never made sense if you just watched them play.

Yeah - I mean, I get the South Florida and ranking bias - it makes sense.

But it was taken to such an extreme with hating on Gus while simultaneously overhyping Yearby and later Walton to a point that never made sense if you just watched them play.
Totally agree. Truth be told, Gus was better than them other 2, but injuries and bad timing seemed to derail his career at Miami. Fan frustration grew with Gus being a bigger back, but “running like a smaller back”, 😂🤣😂. Looking for cutbacks, instead of running thru folks. I’m pretty sure there was some So. Fla biases there, also. That was heavy in the “2-3 star So. Fla kid, is better than 5 star kid from anywhere else”, era. Thanks again for bringing factual evidence into the equation.

Walton

Walton
- 16 for 34 yds, 2.1 ypc

Vs P5
Walton
Gus - 259-1,071 yds, 4.1 ypc, 9 TD's - Scored a TD every 29 carries

Vs Non-P5
Walton
Gus - 91-619 yds, 6.8 ypc, 4 TD's - Scored a TD every 23 carries

Walton

These numbers ain’t apples to apples. Gus racked up a lot of his stats in garbage time vs garbage teams. Mark started and carried during the toughest situations against the toughest competition. Fate cheated us out of his best football because he was rising to a new level when he got hurt then turned pro. He would be AT LEAST a number 2 back in the league if not for his mental health issues.

All running backs play better against weaker opponents. I watched the Bucs hold Barry Sanders to 60 yards in the playoffs in person. **** the Packers forced him into some games of negative yardage. Good defenses almost always have the advantage over the run game.

We have had a problem running the ball consistently when it mattered for a long time. When the offensive line is poor, backs can’t find a rhythm and miss holes on the rare occasion one opens up.

I was excited for Gus’ potential, but his actual performance was very disappointing at first, then he had the misfortune of getting hurt as he was coming into his own. He probably would have been better if he played more. Scheme, play calling, and poor offensive line play hurt all of our backs, not just Gus. When you are as big and fast as him but go down as easy as we all saw him do, it can leave a bad taste in the mouth of coaches and fans.

Even with all that, we could have used Gus better. You can say that without throwing Mark under the bus.

Advertisement
These numbers ain’t apples to apples. Gus racked up a lot of his stats in garbage time vs garbage teams. Mark started and carried during the toughest situations against the toughest competition. Fate cheated us out of his best football because he was rising to a new level when he got hurt then turned pro. He would be AT LEAST a number 2 back in the league if not for his mental health issues.

Even with all that, we could have used Gus better. You can say that without throwing Mark under the bus.
You're right it isn't apples to apples - but again, not in the way that you think

Vs Top 25 opponents:

Walton
- 71-220 yds, 3.1 ypc, 0 TD. Against 7 Top 25 teams, he never averaged over 3.5 ypc in any game
Gus - 80-255 yds, 3.2 ypc, 1 TD. Against 8 Top 25 teams, he averaged over 4.0 ypc in 2 games

% of Career carries vs Opponents

1624056970667.png

And half of Gus's carries came behind Rutgers OL. This isn't throwing Walton under the bus, it's simply showing facts that debunk the false narratives.

If you think Walton was a NFL starting caliber RB and much better than Gus - that's fine - but please understand that's your personal opinion based on what you saw and what you projected.

When you say things like "he racked stats vs garbage teams" - understand that factually, you're more accurately describing Walton.

You're right it isn't apples to apples - but again, not in the way that you think

Vs Top 25 opponents:

Walton
- 71-220 yds, 3.1 ypc, 0 TD. Against 7 Top 25 teams, he never averaged over 3.5 ypc in any game
Gus - 80-255 yds, 3.2 ypc, 1 TD. Against 8 Top 25 teams, he averaged over 4.0 ypc in 2 games

% of Career carries vs Opponents

View attachment 148051

And half of Gus's carries came behind Rutgers OL. This isn't throwing Walton under the bus, it's simply showing facts that debunk the false narratives.

If you think Walton was a NFL starting caliber RB and much better than Gus - that's fine - but please understand that's your personal opinion based on what you saw and what you projected.

When you say things like "he racked stats vs garbage teams" - understand that factually, you're more accurately describing Walton.
Walton was a better college back.

You are comparing Gus’ senior year to Walton’s injury shortened career. Walton was poised to have a big time senior year when his final year was cut short.

Walton got drafted by the Bengals. That goes without saying. His mental health issues derailed a promising career as a rotational back at minimum. He had the inside track on the Dolphins job.

Gus is running read option with the best running quarterback in the history of the league. Talk about perfect situation.

Gus was bigger and faster. Head to head on the same team, Mark was better. Injury prevented the most accurate comparison in their final seasons.

You are the one not considering all the facts my friend.

Except for one good play against FAMU, or somebody similar, does anyone have a great Gus memory? Glad he’s doing good, but I can’t think of one positive memory of him while at Da U.

Advertisement
Back