Gus Edwards through 4 games

I always knew he was big with outstanding speed for that size. I never saw enough to justify, in my own mind, the negativity I read from others. I've seen other successful backs who had a straight up running style.
He really was a big speed back that could break tackles on the perimeter, but the staff just saw his size and tried to make him a power back

Advertisement
I remember when he clocked that super fast 40 but he didn't play like it...maybe he was having a great camp but I've seen nothing from him at any part of his career that told he was better than Walton or Yearby...
He’s a mile better than Walton and yearby combined. Not only was he WAY bigger he was also much faster. Those two aren’t even in the same ball park, you only think they’re better because they got more playing time at Miami.

You're missing the point - no one is trying to say Gus is an NFL Pro Bowler. But he's played well with his chances this year.

80% of people made Walton out to be a 2nd round pick, while saying Gus was a JAG who should transfer and no shot at all at making an NFL team. 1 was overhyped while the other wasn't given enough credit.

The truth is they were always similar talent levels. And both their performances in the NFL this year is showing that. So the bashing of Gus was always a bit ridiculous - that's the point.

He has done well ONE time with his chanceS.

I never thought Walton was great and still don’t but he is behind Joe Mixon and Gio.

I never thought Walton was great and still don’t but he is behind Joe Mixon and Gio.

I had a close friend Steve Alvers (played 6 years in the NFL) Cane alumni who played for Bills and Giants back in the day , during the off season Steve were training and working hard on long snapping / center play and during our sessions I asked him what was it like your first day to a game in the NFL.

SPEED SPEED SPEED and CRUSHING HITS like nothing he's seen or felt even coming from the U , so ANYONE who plays in the NFL......ARE ALL BAD DUDES...PERIOD

Advertisement
I had a close friend Steve Alvers (played 6 years in the NFL) Cane alumni who played for Bills and Giants back in the day , during the off season Steve were training and working hard on long snapping / center play and during our sessions I asked him what was it like your first day to a game in the NFL.

SPEED SPEED SPEED and CRUSHING HITS like nothing he's seen or felt even coming from the U , so ANYONE who plays in the NFL......ARE ALL BAD DUDES...PERIOD

Cool story.

Steve Alvers coached for years at Miami Southridge where he teaches now , one of his finest linemen he every coached at the RIDGE was Steve Everett an All American center later played at Michigan and NFL also.....

That’s an even cooler story. Can wait for the next one.

Advertisement

- Gus jumped a healthy Alex Collins, Buck Allen, and Ty Montgomery to be the #1 RB in his last game. He's done well with his chances.
- Walton was the #2 RB for 6 games behind Gio when Mixon was hurt, and Mixon when Gio was hurt. He hasn't done well (yet) with his chances.

Game by Game

Gus
vs. TEN 10-42
vs. NO 2-0
vs. CAR 2-12
vs. PIT 1-10
vs. CIN 17-117
TOTAL 32-179 yds, 5.6 ypc

Walton
vs. ATL 5-9
vs. PIT 2- - 2
vs. KC 4-10
vs. TB 2-7
TOTAL 13-24 yds, 1.8 ypc

Gus doing well in limited touches vs. TEN/CAR/PIT led to him getting a larger role vs. CIN. Walton hasn't played good enough to get more carries (yet).

Again - no one is saying Gus is some great RB. The point is saying Gus was never anywhere as good as Walton is had no shot at the NFL is false.

- Gus jumped a healthy Alex Collins, Buck Allen, and Ty Montgomery to be the #1 RB in his last game. He's done well with his chances.
- Walton was the #2 RB for 6 games behind Gio when Mixon was hurt, and Mixon when Gio was hurt. He hasn't done well (yet) with his chances.

Game by Game

Gus
vs. TEN 10-42
vs. NO 2-0
vs. CAR 2-12
vs. PIT 1-10
vs. CIN 17-117
TOTAL 32-179 yds, 5.6 ypc

Walton
vs. ATL 5-9
vs. PIT 2- - 2
vs. KC 4-10
vs. TB 2-7
TOTAL 13-24 yds, 1.8 ypc

Gus doing well in limited touches vs. TEN/CAR/PIT led to him getting a larger role vs. CIN. Walton hasn't played good enough to get more carries (yet).

Again - no one is saying Gus is some great RB. The point is saying Gus was never anywhere as good as Walton is had no shot at the NFL is false.

Not sure who said that I didn’t but Gus is still a below average RB in the NFL.

Watched the highlights of the Ravens game. Gus doesn't seem to run all that upright which was the big criticism.

Watched the highlights of the Ravens game. Gus doesn't seem to run all that upright which was the big criticism.

That’s what I noticed, too. He is leaning forward as he runs now.

My most vivid memory of Gus was when DP obliterated him at the spring game. Dude was running upright and got clocked.

Advertisement
Not sure who said that I didn’t but Gus is still a below average RB in the NFL.

But Gus is an NFL RB, right? How good of an NFL RB is not the point. Gus has shown he's good enough to compete in the NFL - that's the point.

@blackvern is calling out the people who said Gus wasn't even good enough to compete at Miami (so he'd have no shot at the NFL), and there's plenty of them - just go back and read this thread. Vern was 100% right.

But Gus is an NFL RB, right? How good of an NFL RB is not the point. Gus has shown he's good enough to compete in the NFL - that's the point.

@blackvern is calling out the people who said Gus wasn't even good enough to compete at Miami (so he'd have no shot at the NFL), and there's plenty of them - just go back and read this thread. Vern was 100% right.

I said Gus was average. How good was Ryan Leaf? I mean Leaf made it to the NFL what about Jamarcus Russell? I can go on and on .

I said Gus was average. How good was Ryan Leaf? I mean Leaf made it to the NFL what about Jamarcus Russell? I can go on and on .

You could go on and on, but you'd still be missing the point.

If Gus is good enough to compete for & earn carries in the NFL, then he was good enough to compete for & earn carries at Miami, right? Is that a fair statement?

It's the people that said/thought Gus wasn't good enough to compete at Miami that Vern is (correctly) calling out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back