Gus Edwards Out For Season

Advertisement
This will be the arc of our RB's this season on this board:

Yearby/Gray/Walton will be crowned as All-Amercians after the first 2 games (not true)
Yearby/Gray/Walton will all be torn apart because they suck by the end of October (also not true)

It's just a good group of solid RB's, who will at times flash talent and make some big plays.

Everyone wants them to be consistent playmakers, which they are not.

What are you basing the conclusion that they are not consistent playmakers on? Yearby was a spectacular high school back who was one of the best in Florida, and he had an excellent freshman year despite coming off a major injury. Walton is considered one of the top RB recruits. Gray is the real question mark, but he's got a combination of power and an extra gear that would make him dangerous if he gets it together.

Don't understand why people are downplaying Yearby and Walton when those are two backs that are right up there with the various backs that we have "missed" over the years, and if they didn't come here, we'd be hearing about how we "missed" on those two stud backs.

I base it on the fact that Yearby and Walton were behind Edwards on the depth chart. I like Gus and think he would've been our best RB this year. I feel bad for him. But I don't think he's anywhere near the talent Cook, Michel, Collins or Scarlett are. So the fact Yearby was 2nd on the depth chart and Walton was 4th means I don't expect them to be game changers, or they would've beaten Gus out.

Just My Opinion, but based on your points:

"Yearby was a spectacular high school back who was one of the best in Florida" - He was very good in HS but you could see the huge difference in talent between Yearby and Cook playing on the same team. It was obvious Cook was on a different level talent wise. I always thought Yearby was rated too highly.

"Yearby had an excellent freshman year despite coming off a major injury" - I'd say he had a solid Freshman season, but not excellent. Duke had an excellent Freshman season. Yearby got most of his yards against the bad teams we played. And it wasn't a "major" injury. He had a broken ankle. Same injury Duke had a month before Yearby. Both ready to go and could have practiced last Spring, but were held out as a precaution. Both were 100% recovered by last Fall.

"Walton is considered one of the top RB recruits" - Yes, but Scarlett was on another level talent wise. Recruiting rankings are just opinions, and my opinion is he was more a high 3 star than a 4/5 star. Like Yearby, he's good but not great.

So your arguments for Yearby and Walton being lower tier are based on your version of recruiting rankings vs. that of all the recruiting services and top experts.

No, Yearby and Walton being on a lower tier is just my opinion.

Yearby's performance vs. Cook when they were on the same HS team, and what they did their Freshman year in college would be my argument in support of that opinion.

Yearby getting beat out by Gus Edwards for the starting job, and Walton being 4th on the depth chart would be another argument.

"I know better than recruiting experts" is not an argument I would ever use.

Insert Walter Tucker at running back, who has long speed. Miami has the walk on Fullback who played at auburn.

Go Canes

Full POTATO

Why is that stupid Walter Tucker was beastly with the ball when Miami gave it to him. An he is world class hurdler so he has open field speed take it to the house speed. His only issue was his vision in the whole, but hopefully Ice Harris has been working with him to correct it. So I see the glass as half full.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Insert Walter Tucker at running back, who has long speed. Miami has the walk on Fullback who played at auburn.

Go Canes

Full POTATO

Why is that stupid Walter Tucker was beastly with the ball when Miami gave it to him. An he is world class hurdler so he has open field speed take it to the house speed. His only issue was his vision in the whole, but hopefully Ice Harris has been working with him to correct it. So I see the glass as half full.

Go Canes

World class hurdler huh?

So instead of getting ready for the Olympics he is playing fullback... A position few teams even draft or use anymore.

Makes sense.

Advertisement
This will be the arc of our RB's this season on this board:

Yearby/Gray/Walton will be crowned as All-Amercians after the first 2 games (not true)
Yearby/Gray/Walton will all be torn apart because they suck by the end of October (also not true)

It's just a good group of solid RB's, who will at times flash talent and make some big plays.

Everyone wants them to be consistent playmakers, which they are not.

What are you basing the conclusion that they are not consistent playmakers on? Yearby was a spectacular high school back who was one of the best in Florida, and he had an excellent freshman year despite coming off a major injury. Walton is considered one of the top RB recruits. Gray is the real question mark, but he's got a combination of power and an extra gear that would make him dangerous if he gets it together.

Don't understand why people are downplaying Yearby and Walton when those are two backs that are right up there with the various backs that we have "missed" over the years, and if they didn't come here, we'd be hearing about how we "missed" on those two stud backs.

I base it on the fact that Yearby and Walton were behind Edwards on the depth chart. I like Gus and think he would've been our best RB this year. I feel bad for him. But I don't think he's anywhere near the talent Cook, Michel, Collins or Scarlett are. So the fact Yearby was 2nd on the depth chart and Walton was 4th means I don't expect them to be game changers, or they would've beaten Gus out.

"Yearby was a spectacular high school back who was one of the best in Florida" - He was very good in HS but you could see the huge difference in talent between Yearby and Cook playing on the same team. It was obvious Cook was on a different level talent wise. I always thought Yearby was rated too highly.

"Yearby had an excellent freshman year despite coming off a major injury" - I'd say he had a solid Freshman season, but not excellent. Duke had an excellent Freshman season. Yearby got most of his yards against the bad teams we played. And it wasn't a "major" injury. He had a broken ankle. Same injury Duke had a month before Yearby. Both ready to go and could have practiced last Spring, but were held out as a precaution. Both were 100% recovered by last Fall.

"Walton is considered one of the top RB recruits" - Yes, but Scarlett was on another level talent wise. Recruiting rankings are just opinions, and my opinion is he was more a high 3 star than a 4/5 star. Like Yearby, he's good but not great.

So your arguments for Yearby and Walton being lower tier are based on your version of recruiting rankings vs. that of all the recruiting services and top experts.

Yearby's performance vs. Cook when they were on the same HS team, and what they did their Freshman year in college would be my argument in support of that opinion.

Yearby getting beat out by Gus Edwards for the starting job, and Walton being 4th on the depth chart would be another argument.

Yearby's performance vs. Cook in HS? You mean where Yearby was the starting RB over Cook? What they did Freshman year of college? Like when Yearby and Cook had the same yards per carry (of course Yearby had fewer overall yards since he was behind Duke)?

Advertisement

Yearby's performance vs. Cook in HS? You mean where Yearby was the starting RB over Cook? What they did Freshman year of college? Like when Yearby and Cook had the same yards per carry (of course Yearby had fewer overall yards since he was behind Duke)?

In the Miami game, Cook had 7 carries, 2 runs over 25 yards, and 2 TD's. He has 40-1 odds in Vegas to win the Heisman.
In the ENTIRE Year, Yearby had 86 carries, 1 run over 25 yards, and 1 TD. He couldn't beat out Gus Edwards for a starting job.

Yearby vs. Cook may have been an argument at this time last year, but that ship has sailed.

Look - I hope Yearby, Walton, and Choc all ball out this year. I'm rooting for them. But I'm only expecting to see it in flashes. One game Yearby will look great, then average the next 2 games. One game Walton will get hot and we'll ride him. Then he doesn't do much the next 2 games. That's what I'm realistically expecting.

It's just my opinion, but expecting them to produce same way a Dalvin Cook or Sony Michel will is unrealistic. But I hope I'm wrong because if they do we're gonna have a great year.

In the Miami game, Cook had 7 carries, 2 runs over 25 yards, and 2 TD's. He has 40-1 odds in Vegas to win the Heisman.
In the ENTIRE Year, Yearby had 86 carries, 1 run over 25 yards, and 1 TD. He couldn't beat out Gus Edwards for a starting job.

Yearby vs. Cook may have been an argument at this time last year, but that ship has sailed.

Look - I hope Yearby, Walton, and Choc all ball out this year. I'm rooting for them. But I'm only expecting to see it in flashes. One game Yearby will look great, then average the next 2 games. One game Walton will get hot and we'll ride him. Then he doesn't do much the next 2 games. That's what I'm realistically expecting.

It's just my opinion, but expecting them to produce same way a Dalvin Cook or Sony Michel will is unrealistic. But I hope I'm wrong because if they do we're gonna have a great year.

So what? So Dalvin Cook breaks more long ones than Yearby. He also gets caught behind the line of scrimmage or after minimal gain than Yearby does, hence the same YPC average for both.

It's just my opinion, but expecting them to produce same way a Dalvin Cook or Sony Michel will is unrealistic.

Georgia will likely get carries for 3-4 RBs, but Nick Chubb is the featured back - not Sony. So better hope Yearby puts up numbers comparable or better than Sony.

So what? So Dalvin Cook breaks more long ones than Yearby. He also gets caught behind the line of scrimmage or after minimal gain than Yearby does, hence the same YPC average for both.

Their YPC was similar because Yearby gained 70% of his yards against our weakest opponents - FAMU, Ark St, Cincinnati & UNC. Yearby had 509 yards all season. Cook had 424 yds in the last 3 games he played - against Florida, GT, and Oregon.

Against ACC opponents their YPC was - Yearby 4.3, Cook 6.3. In High School Cook's YPC was more than Yearby every year by this much - Soph (2.2 yds), Junior (4.6 yds), Senior (1.4 yds).

You can keep arguing stats if you want, but do you have an argument as to why Cook has Heisman odds and Yearby couldn't beat out Gus?

Advertisement
It's just my opinion, but expecting them to produce same way a Dalvin Cook or Sony Michel will is unrealistic.

Georgia will likely get carries for 3-4 RBs, but Nick Chubb is the featured back - not Sony. So better hope Yearby puts up numbers comparable or better than Sony.

Sony had 400 yards last year. He shared time with Gurley and Chubb, missed 4 games with an injury, and only had 100 less yards than Yearby. Sony also ran for 4 more TD's than Yearby.

I expect Sony to have a better year as a backup than Yearby will as a starter. He's just a different level of talent than Yearby.

Their YPC was similar because Yearby gained 70% of his yards against our weakest opponents - FAMU, Ark St, Cincinnati & UNC. Yearby had 509 yards all season. Cook had 424 yds in the last 3 games he played - against Florida, GT, and Oregon.

Against ACC opponents their YPC was - Yearby 4.3, Cook 6.3. In High School Cook's YPC was more than Yearby every year by this much - Soph (2.2 yds), Junior (4.6 yds), Senior (1.4 yds).

You can keep arguing stats if you want, but do you have an argument as to why Cook has Heisman odds and Yearby couldn't beat out Gus?

Of course Cook is going to have Heisman buzz while Yearby doesn't. He played a lot more last year, and got tons more exposure. Yearby didn't "beat out" Gus because the intent was always to have a two back system with those two anyway, based on their different qualities, to keep the defenses off balance.

Sony had 400 yards last year. He shared time with Gurley and Chubb, missed 4 games with an injury, and only had 100 less yards than Yearby. Sony also ran for 4 more TD's than Yearby.

I expect Sony to have a better year as a backup than Yearby will as a starter. He's just a different level of talent than Yearby.

It's not a question of who's the better back, but who gets the most touches. The UGA backfield has more talent and more depth, including the return of former 5-star RB Keith Marshall, who was on par or better than Gurley before getting injured. You might be right, but if Sony, as Chubb's backup, outgains Miami's starter then it will be a really long season.

Advertisement

Go Canes

Full POTATO

Go Canes

Because he has done NOTHING and hasn't been beastly in any shape or form. Maybe that one carry for -3 yards was "beastly".

Great "world class hurdler" drop, shouldn't Edwin Moses be training for the Olympics.

"So I see the glass as half full." I would say you see the glass as a "potato".

Hey, why don't you link some youtube videos and paranoid the thread.

Go Canes

Full POTATO

Go Canes

World class hurdler huh?

So instead of getting ready for the Olympics he is playing fullback... A position few teams even draft or use anymore.

Makes sense.

I liked the "beastly" reference as well. He was "beastly" in his 1 carry for -3 yards.

Of course Cook is going to have Heisman buzz while Yearby doesn't. He played a lot more last year, and got tons more exposure. Yearby didn't "beat out" Gus because the intent was always to have a two back system with those two anyway, based on their different qualities, to keep the defenses off balance.

Cook played more than Yearby because he's more talented.

Do you think if Cook were at Miami, he'd be behind Edwards on the depth chart, and be getting a 50/50 split in carries with a healthy Edwards?

Advertisement
Back