Official Gus Edwards - (Currently a bshaw28 thread)

Gus is definitely 4.1 ypc vs P5. Not sure where you're pulling you stats from, but I'll post mine separately and you can tell me where you think I'm off.

As for your comments about Gus, not saying your wrong, but I have questions:

He couldn't handle pass pro assignments - what's this based off of? PFF graded out Gus, Walton, and Yearby as good pass blockers..
Never grasped the playbook under either staff - what is this based off of? I've never heard this before
I just pulled his career game log and calculated it

The bolded was from people on staff and former players. Think I've heard Malik talk about it before on his podcast or youtube channel. Maybe even someone else's channel where he was a guest. I know Walton was praised as being elite and very trusted in pass pro and as a pass catcher - giving him more opportunities in that first year where he was basically our goal line guy/3rd down back and scored all those TDs.

Advertisement
I just did the same calculation and told you the result and it wasn’t 4.1 YPC vs P5. It was lower than Walton (if you’re including Rutgers as well)

It’s also a lot different in garbage time vs against starters and when Walton was in the game vs Gus.

Hard pill to swallow. Walton was the more complete back in his college days. None of these backs had the benefit of a competent OL. They’re all 5.5-6 YPC guys in P5 games if they’re running behind this OL in 2023 back in college.

In college, good RB's are much less dependent on a good OL. That's much more of an NFL thing.

Here's PFF's Run Block Ranking for Miami & what our leading rusher did vs P5 opponents that year
- Walton was below average behind a very good OL
- Yearby put up similar numbers to Walton behind a terrible OL
- Behind similar OL's - Homer & Duke put up 1.4 - 1.8 more ypc than Walton
- DeeJay put up big numbers behind a terrible OL because he's pretty good

1695822578015.png

Here's Gus Edwards career P5 & Non-P5 numbers (including Rutgers) - @JayCane20 - Let me know what's not matching your numbers

1695823890464.png

Last edited:
Find me a bad Ol and I’ll find you a bad ypc lol. There’s not many OL that can makeup for that , Barry being one of the few.

See my post above.

DeeJay Dallas was really good behind a bad OL. Dallas was much better than Cam, who was a bit better than Parrish & Knighton (all similar OL's)

IMO - In college, OL play matters, but RB talent still matters more.

1695824606327.png

Last edited:
See my post above.

DeeJay Dallas was really good behind a bad OL. Dallas was much better than Cam, who was a bit better than Parrish & Knighton.

IMO - In college, OL play matters, but RB talent still matters more.
When you’ve had years where Bama’s running backs weren’t getting touched until 4-5 yards down field I’ll always roll with Ol versus rb talent from Hs to the pros. A great Ol can make bums look pretty good, VERY few rb’s do the opposite. Same with the DL versus the secondary. A great DL covers up flaws but very few secondaries can save a bad pass rush.

Our OL last year versus this year with the same lead back being a perfect example.

NO gm or scout on earth believes different.

When you’ve had years where Bama’s running backs weren’t getting touched until 4-5 yards down field I’ll always roll with Ol versus rb talent from Hs to the pros. A great Ol can make bums look pretty good, VERY few rb’s do the opposite. Same with the DL versus the secondary. A great DL covers up flaws but very few secondaries can save a bad pass rush.

Our OL last year versus this year with the same lead back being a perfect example.

Definitely agree.

It's an interesting Question to debate. Example - last year would you rather have had:

Alabama's OL & Henry Parrish
Miami's OL & Bijan Robinson

I can see either side....but personally I'm taking Bijan

Advertisement

I like to use this to show the difference a talented RB can make.

Mike James was a 6th RD pick. Damien Berry was on NFL practice squads a couple years. Definitely not bums.

But behind the same OL they couldn't come close to doing what Lamar Miller & Duke Johnson could.

An OL can only do so much. The OL can open huge holes - but that's only half of it.

Once through the hole, it's up to the RB to make defenders miss & create for themselves. That's the other half.

1695830150664.png

Attachments

• 1695827897224.png
    1695827897224.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You forgot to incorporate south florida bias into those statistics bro
Yeah Gus was a below average RB at Miami. He was probably above average at Rutgers. And he's been better in the NFL than he ever was in college, but he has never even been a #1 Rb on the Ravens and never will be except by injury.

Dude averages 123 carries, 3 TDs, and 646 yards per season. His ypc is good (5.25), but he's only doing it on like 7 carries per game and provides little in the passing game. And they have the best Running QB ever bringing up their average. JK dobbins - who consistently beats him for starting job and gets hurt even more often, averages 113 carries for 662 yards and 5.5 TDs. That's 5.85 ypc to Edwards 5.25, and more TDs even though Gus SHOULD get more goaline work giving his size!. Justice Hill averages like 4.6ypc for them, and Mark Ingram averaged like 4.8ypc when he was 30 and at end of his career during the same time.

Clearly the Ravens offense has elevated their RBs ypc numbers. People need to stop acting like because Gus averages over 5ypc for Ravens that he was good here. He wasn't.
Gus was a future NFL running back at Miami.

Advertisement
Gus now has 13 rushing TD's this season. A common knock on him is that he doesn't score TD's.

Here's the most rushing TD's these players ever scored in a single season:

15 TD's - Clinton Portis
13 TD's - Gus Edwards, Edgerrin James, Willis McGahee
10 TD's - Frank Gore
8 TD's - Lamar Miller

Not bad company

Gus now has 13 rushing TD's this season. A common knock on him is that he doesn't score TD's.

Here's the most rushing TD's these players ever scored in a single season:

15 TD's - Clinton Portis
13 TD's - Gus Edwards, Edgerrin James, Willis McGahee
10 TD's - Frank Gore
8 TD's - Lamar Miller

Not bad company

That was a common knock HERE because he ran too high and was not the bulldozer he is today and struggled in short yardage. I watched a lot of Baltimore games this year and even though he seemed to fall down the pecking order and got more caries by virtue of injuries of guys in front of him regardless of that whenever they got inside the 5 he came in the game and absolutely delivered. I mean I know he had games with 5 carries and 2 tds and 12 carries with 2 tds. Reminds me of the old Mike Alstott and Jerome Bettis games. I seem to recall one of them had 5 carries for like 1 yard and 3 tds lol

Gus was a good back here and did not run soft. Would have had a huge year when he got hurt. Huge bias against out of state kids, and the reality is we have never had a team that won big without half the starters or more not coming from outside of South Florida.

Advertisement
Back